• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lhd/rhd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

Puzzles me. We drive on the left here unless we have bi-directional working and the French do too surprisingly but their Metros run on the right.

The Germans run on the right but in Austria they drive on our side the left(although the driver's controls are on the right), unless they use the opposite line for overtaking - clever use of bi-directional lines.

s1007_02.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oracle

Established Member
The Underground has of course sections of right-hand running, and Nord region of SNCF has left-hand running. Right-hand running has advantages on mountainsides as you can see the walls. I believe that even now there are lorries used in say northern Italy that are rhd.

Nick W

Established Member
The Germans run on the right but in Austria they drive on our side the left
Cool, are there flyovers to swap the lines around at borders?

(although the driver's controls are on the right), unless they use the opposite line for overtaking - clever use of bi-directional lines.

We do that here, just not usually in normal service as trains are too close together.

Oracle

Established Member
As to the latter point it has been known locally (got the photo to prove it) that the bi-directional Down line from the Totton freight loop through Totton station, Redbridge Junction and as far as the Up end of Redbridge station can be used to overtake trains on the Up (bi-directional only as far as the Up end of Totton Up platform). Also we have seen on this forum I think a photo of a Virgin XC overtaking trains two trains on the Up Main/Fast and Slow on the no bi-directional Down Main/Fast Up of Worting Junction.

Kris

As to the latter point it has been known locally (got the photo to prove it) that the bi-directional Down line from the Totton freight loop through Totton station, Redbridge Junction and as far as the Up end of Redbridge station can be used to overtake trains on the Up (bi-directional only as far as the Up end of Totton Up platform). Also we have seen on this forum I think a photo of a Virgin XC overtaking trains two trains on the Up Main/Fast and Slow on the no bi-directional Down Main/Fast Up of Worting Junction.

Totton - Redbridge Bi-directional in the up direction on the Down line is only used for freight trains and is a common move.

Trains can use either line from Eastleigh to Micheldever (apart from Eastleigh to Shawford Up Slow) in both directions

Also we have seen on this forum I think a photo of a Virgin XC overtaking trains two trains on the Up Main/Fast and Slow on the no bi-directional Down Main/Fast Up of Worting Junction.

Not quite sure what you mean there. Do you mean that there were 2 trains on the US and UF North of Worting and a XC was also heading in the Up direction on the DF? Not really possible unless it was a failure and had to return to Basingstoke 'Wrong Line'.

T

Tom

Not quite sure what you mean there. Do you mean that there were 2 trains on the US and UF North of Worting and a XC was also heading in the Up direction on the DF? Not really possible unless it was a failure and had to return to Basingstoke 'Wrong Line'.
The Voyager was on the DF and is possible under the new signalling as all lines are now bi-di.

Kris

Only right by Basing' station itself though. There're no points and signalling in place for it down by Worting.

Happy to say that we are back up to 90mph on the Up Fast through Basin' again.

T

Tom

I think there are allowances for the bi-di to go right up to Worting if it's decided there isn't enough lee-way in the area in disruption.

Kris

Can't see where they'd get across - I'll have a look later.

T

Tom

According to the track diagrams I've got ...

There is a UF - DF crossover facing direction of travel just beyond the final gangtry going south towards Worting (YW44/YW46 on the old signals).

Think it's controlled by a ground frame though.

Another edit...

http://jdrailpics.fotopic.net/p40796035.html shows where.

Kris

That's what I mean. It'd be a very unusual move and only done under exceptional circumstances. That's an emergency crossover probably released from the box.

Trying to work out what the structures are for on the right hand side of the picture. It's been puzzling me for the past few days - there are a few of them. Wonder if they will have relay boxes on top or signalling electrics or something.

Oracle

Established Member
is only used for freight trains and is a common move.

Quite so...but
a) it seems that the move all the way to Redbridge and not into the FL Reception or the Down Goods Loop is rare. We know that the MO FL empties from Marchwood runs wrong-line to the FLR.

b) when there was the broken rail near the causeway diesels were sent wrong-line to bypass it. Yes I know it has goods lights etc!

Thanks to our resident EWS driver / member for the photos!

Attachments

• Marchwood%20016a.jpg
    Marchwood%20016a.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Marchwood%20022a.jpg
    Marchwood%20022a.jpg
    358.4 KB · Views: 14

Oracle

Established Member
2nd January 2007:

A broken rail on the up line between Redbridge and Millbrook this morning caused disruption and also led to some interesting track being used before the mainline reopened again at 11.55. Up VXC trains ran wrong line between Totton and Redbridge then onto Soton Central via the unelectrified Down goods line, trains off the Salisbury line crossed over before the junction and also ran up the down goods line. Electrics terminated at Totton and ran back to Brockenhurst Ecs with a connection onwards from Totton provided by the Totton - Romsey shuttle from the other platform, then same route at VXC. Down trains including electrics ran as normal but ended up out of place.

I believe that I saw the FL 66 run light engine on the Down reversible on Saturday around midday, having deposited its empties at Marchwood for the weekend.

Kris

Well - having just returned from Austria I'mm even more confused. Every train I saw and went on drove on the right so I guess that's the norm now?

All lines seem to be signalled for bi-directional running though.

I'll post some piccies later - too knackered at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.