• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Light Rail Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hullo all, I made a thread fairly recently on behalf of a friend who, as an academic task, has to design a light rail system between Horsforth and the Leeds & Bradford airport.

He's now asking - as a survey - if anyone could help by ranking the following in importance when designing a light rail system between 2 locations.

To the forum member who helpfully pointed out the potential plagiarism issues in the last thread, this is merely a survey and will be collected as data.

Thank you!

Number of buildings intersected
Number of occupied buildings within 150m
Final distance from destination
Number of existing station features intersected
Number of infrastructural features intersected
Track length
Average gradient
Number of minor roads/tracks intersected
Number of river/stream crossings
Number of bends
Number of agricultural/natural land intersections

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Hullo all, I made a thread fairly recently on behalf of a friend who, as an academic task, has to design a light rail system between Horsforth and the Leeds & Bradford airport.

He's now asking - as a survey - if anyone could help by ranking the following in importance when designing a light rail system between 2 locations.

To the forum member who helpfully pointed out the potential plagiarism issues in the last thread, this is merely a survey and will be collected as data.

Thank you!

Number of buildings intersected
Number of occupied buildings within 150m
Final distance from destination
Number of existing station features intersected
Number of infrastructural features intersected
Track length
Average gradient
Number of minor roads/tracks intersected
Number of river/stream crossings
Number of bends
Number of agricultural/natural land intersections

I'd offer to help but as im doing the same project at uni, i dont feel it is in best interests :)
Although i will say with reference to bends, tell him/her to look at the brief where it specifies that design average speed must be 80kph, looking at turning radii that means keep bends to a minimum so try not to wiggle too much.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Might I suggest giving us a range within which to rank them? For example, perhaps something like 'rank the following on a scale of one to five with one being very unimportant and five being very important'. Otherwise I struggle to see how they're going to collate any useful data.

bluenoxid

Established Member
I assume that this is a Civil Engineering project.

I don't understand why you are doing this but meh.

Number of buildings intersected -4 Intersections are important for all assets. They should not only be numbered, but marked on a map.
Number of occupied buildings within 150m - 9 Not too important although a list of affected stakeholders is a good idea
Final distance from destination 1 - Yes, the profile should have length on it
Number of existing station features intersected - 4
Number of infrastructural features intersected - 4
Track length 1 - The profile should have length on it
Average gradient - 3 If you have downloaded the correct data and plugged it into the right programme you should be able to show the Gradient profile of the line and the existing land.
Number of minor roads/tracks intersected - 4
Number of river/stream crossings - 4
Number of bends - IRRELEVANT (unless asked for). Your map should show the route.
Number of agricultural/natural land intersections - What is this?

Might I suggest giving us a range within which to rank them? For example, perhaps something like 'rank the following on a scale of one to five with one being very unimportant and five being very important'. Otherwise I struggle to see how they're going to collate any useful data.

Forgive me. Er...perhaps if you re-list all the given things with the most important at the top and the least important at the bottom? I appreciate I should've made it more clear but I appreciate even more any answers to this thread, so cheers

Ploughman

Established Member
Not to do with the ranking but as an aside.

As part of the Leeds North West Electrification back in 1993 - 4 a feasability study was undertaken into providing a link to the Airport from Guiseley station using the remains of the Rawdon branch. as far as Rawdon then new alignment to the airport.
Major problem was that the junction Leeds side of Greenbottom tunnel was facing the wrong way and trains from Leeds would have to reverse at Guiseley to access the branch.

It may be possible that the results may still exist possibly with Leeds Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.