• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Likelihood of trainees required at Darlington for Northern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit.Frank

I think only 4 got sent for assessment out of internals, I know some externals were at assessments Monday Tuesday. Internals not sure.

I think if you haven't been for interview it's a definite no now.

If you've been for interview and external or internal and not heard it's also very highly likely to be a no.

Good luck all those going for assessment.

Apparently it's 6 drivers they want.

Thank you. Some good inside knowledge there!!
8-)8-)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick82

So have they already offered some positions to either internals or externals??

chrisdmadd

So have they already offered some positions to either internals or externals??

No not that I know, they won't do that until all successful interviews have been for assessments.

One or two don't even need the assessments but still haven't heard as generally they get all the assessment passes together and choose who they want. How they do that and who does that is beyond me. Should be off interview score though.

Kit.Frank

No idea I'm afraid... I'd love to know how many externals they've put through to assessments if that's true though!

LETHLFH

I have heard from several Northern staff including management that there is an agreement unions that if an internal candidate passes interview + assessments they would be offered position regardless of who has best scores. I would be very suprised if Northern had 3 internal, 2 qualified and 1 external set in stone.
In my opinion the most logical order of priority would be:

1) Unemployed qualified drivers as they are cheaper to train and also productive sooner. Aslef support them and Northern do no want to upset Aslef (only if they are suitable and pass an interview and have an appropriate safety record.)

2) Any internal who passes interviews and assessment.

3 Any external passes interview and assessments.

WCMLaddict

There's no such official agreement a that would span across the company. I would be extremely surprised if there was one on a local level. It's almost impossible as such thing would have to cover all of workforce.

Kit.Frank

There's no such official agreement a that would span across the company. I would be extremely surprised if there was one on a local level. It's almost impossible as such thing would have to cover all of workforce.

Do you mean there's no agreement in place between Northern and unions that states internals are given positions above externals if both pass interviews and assessments?

Thanks

LETHLFH

How can you be so sure that there is no agreement? Are you a member of northern recruitment team or a member of the union company council? I consider the sources that I have as reliable and have no reason to doubt them. They did not say whether this agreement was company wide or local so it may be a local agreement to certain depots.

Nick82

I work within the rail industry in the North East and I have also heard, from reliable sources may I say, that internals do have the edge than externals due to some talk with the unions, be that verbal or other wise. Also while we are talking on agreements, there is also one regarding Freight Drivers having interviews with a number of TOCs. Be it not a guarantee job offer.

Also may I add has anyone had any updates. last update I had was last week, maybe I am unsuccessful???

Last edited:

chrisdmadd

I have heard from several Northern staff including management that there is an agreement unions that if an internal candidate passes interview + assessments they would be offered position regardless of who has best scores. I would be very suprised if Northern had 3 internal, 2 qualified and 1 external set in stone.
In my opinion the most logical order of priority would be:

1) Unemployed qualified drivers as they are cheaper to train and also productive sooner. Aslef support them and Northern do no want to upset Aslef (only if they are suitable and pass an interview and have an appropriate safety record.)

2) Any internal who passes interviews and assessment.

3 Any external passes interview and assessments.

As I've said previously in this thread, an agreement between Northern Rail and the RMT a few years back was that an internal would be offered the position before and external if they both passed at the same level. Now I don't know if that means passed the interview and passed the assessments, or if it means got a similar score on interview and similar assessment pass. I don't know the workings of the agreement I just know it was in place a few years ago. At the time I worked for northern and I was in RMT. Now I still work for northern but I'm in ASLEF.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Any truth in 3 internals, 2 freight and 1 external positions

I've heard it's 6 positions

I've heard they want 2 this summer due to 2 drivers leaving (freight drivers likely)

I've heard out of internals 2 Went for assessment and 2 didn't need assessment after passing interview.

I've heard the trainees course starts in July.

At the end of the day those waiting will hear soon so no need to be put off by what people put on here.

At what stage are those at who are still waiting to hear something?

Nick82

So would that be 2 on the Julys course then either some or the remainder on future courses (Aug/Sept).
More than likely 2 freight drivers on Julys course you mean??

If the course is in July, which I am not suggesting your information is incorrect, then it does not leave much time to get those through Medicals.

chrisdmadd

So would that be 2 on the Julys course then either some or the remainder on future courses (Aug/Sept).
More than likely 2 freight drivers on Julys course you mean??

If the course is in July, which I am not suggesting your information is incorrect, then it does not leave much time to get those through Medicals.

Medicals take an hour believe me when they need to HR can be very quick. Just not that often.

Freight drivers won't be on any course as qualified drivers they walk through the door and start road learning.

The July course has 6 spaces on it as far as I know.

Nick82

So where do those stand in terms of employment after passing both their interviews and assessments, pretty much a medical or does HR still have to sift the best scores????

chrisdmadd

So where do those stand in terms of employment after passing both their interviews and assessments, pretty much a medical or does HR still have to sift the best scores????

I'm 99% sure it goes off interview score now.

Nick82

So depending on when the course starts, HR should be looking at getting those successful through Medicals this week or next
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Has anyone had any updates regarding the Darlington positions??

Kit.Frank

At what stage are those at who are still waiting to hear something?

I've now had a successful DMI and passed all assessments/MMI. Northern emailed me yesterday and confirmed I had passed all stages, but said I was now an 'on hold' candidate, waiting to be allocated to a course. The email said they couldn't tell me at what time this would be.

Does anyone have any experience of this as, after scouring this forum, I've still no idea if that's a good sign or if I'm going to end up waiting years in a talent pool to possibly be told there are no longer any positions!

Thank you in advance

Fred Dinenage

I've now had a successful DMI and passed all assessments/MMI. Northern emailed me yesterday and confirmed I had passed all stages, but said I was now an 'on hold' candidate, waiting to be allocated to a course. The email said they couldn't tell me at what time this would be.

Does anyone have any experience of this as, after scouring this forum, I've still no idea if that's a good sign or if I'm going to end up waiting years in a talent pool to possibly be told there are no longer any positions!

Thank you in advance

Northern is currently re-shuffling itself into a few regions, apparently each one will be self-contained, so each region will have it's own HR team. Given that the original HR set-up was crap it may take a while to get this one up to speed. Just a guess, tho... don't hold your breath either, took me 2 months to get a payroll number :o

Legzr1

Medicals take an hour believe me when they need to HR can be very quick. Just not that often.

Freight drivers won't be on any course as qualified drivers they walk through the door and start road learning.

The July course has 6 spaces on it as far as I know.

I expect qualified freight drivers will need a traction course.

Route learning shouldn't take long - the two or three lads I know who've had interviews already sign 95% of the routes (and 100's of miles extra that is no longer necessary!)

MPVSCO

i've now had a successful dmi and passed all assessments/mmi. Northern emailed me yesterday and confirmed i had passed all stages, but said i was now an 'on hold' candidate, waiting to be allocated to a course. The email said they couldn't tell me at what time this would be.

Does anyone have any experience of this as, after scouring this forum, i've still no idea if that's a good sign or if i'm going to end up waiting years in a talent pool to possibly be told there are no longer any positions!

Thank you in advance

xxxxx

Last edited:

Kit.Frank

Twice blue... any news on a start date for you or have you just had the same email as me re. being an 'on hold' candidate?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.