• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lincoln Christmas Market 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
East Midlands Trains have announced the extra services for the Lincoln Christmas Market this year;
http://www.eastmidlandstrains.co.uk/tickets-offers/Christmas/Lincoln-Christmas-Market/

Friday 7th December:
Trains To Lincoln
1045 from Derby, calling at Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1157
1301 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1400
1701 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1750

Trains From Lincoln
1456 from Lincoln, arriving into Nottingham at 1544
1757 from Lincoln, calling at Nottingham, arriving into Derby at 1924

Saturday 8th December:
From To Lincoln
1000 from Sheffield, arriving into Lincoln at 1155
1351 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1437
1551 from Nottingham, arriving into Lincoln at 1636

Trains From Lincoln
1215 from Lincoln, arriving into Nottingham at 1309
1455 from Lincoln, arriving into Nottingham at 1543
1647 from Lincoln, arriving into Nottingham at 1739
1851 from Lincoln, arriving into Sheffield at 2058
1910 from Lincoln, arriving into Nottingham at 1958

In addition, on Saturday, some extra local services are operating;

Trains To Lincoln
1136 from Newark Northgate, arriving into Lincoln at 1209
1331 from Newark Northgate, arriving into Lincoln at 1401
1500 from Newark Northgate, arriving into Lincoln at 1533
1640 from Newark Northgate, arriving into Lincoln at 1710
1833 from Newark Northgate, arriving into Lincoln at 1856

Trains From Lincoln
1248 from Lincoln, arriving into Newark Northgate at 1318
1415 from Lincoln, arriving into Newark Northgate at 1447
1545 from Lincoln, arriving into Newark Northgate at 1615
1756 from Lincoln, arriving into Newark Northgate at 1856

It appears that no extra services from St Pancras are operating this year. I'm also unsure as to what stock will be operating the extra journeys from Nottingham and Sheffield - but I'd imagine it will be HSTs or Meridians. The Newark shuttles will likely be a local unit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordy

Established Member
The 1000 Sheffield to Lincoln also calls at Chesterfield (1014), Derby (1035) and Nottingham (1106).

The 1851 Lincoln to Sheffield also calls at Nottingham (1942), Derby (2013) and Chesterfield (2041).

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Excellent to see a dedicated service from Sheffield via Nottingham, I have tended to travel via this route in previous years to avoid the terrible overcrowding on the Northern services via Retford.

Yew

Established Member
Excellent to see a dedicated service from Sheffield via Nottingham, I have tended to travel via this route in previous years to avoid the terrible overcrowding on the Northern services via Retford.

And pacers!

I looked into this route a while ago, and I thought it wasnt valid?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
And pacers!

I looked into this route a while ago, and I thought it wasnt valid?

In the past, Northern have usually substituted Pacers with 158s (sometimes doubled up) during the Christmas Market. I usually avoid it, so I'm not sure about the past couple of years - I've also seen 3-car 144s turn up too.

Going via Nottingham to get to Lincoln from Sheffield wouldn't normally be valid as far as I'm aware. Obviously with the East Midlands Trains service you will be able to use a Sheffield to Lincoln ticket on it via Nottingham - though given that the cheapest are routed via Retford - possibly not those!

Yew

Established Member
Surely condition 13a i) would come into play, any route using a direct train being valid?

CallySleeper

Established Member
Surely condition 13a i) would come into play, any route using a direct train being valid?

Agree with this. If the ticket is SHF - LCN (any permitted) then it should be valid on a direct train via NOT. Also, just to point out that these services would not be pacers (they're banned on the Erewash - Nottingham section I believe)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
That's what I was pointing out - you'll need to purchase the 'Any Permitted' fares to travel via Nottingham, not the slightly cheaper route Retford fare (where Condition 13d (i) comes into play) - it's £15.30 for a route Retford SDR vs £18.10 for an 'Any Permitted' fare which doesn't restrict you to the Retford route.

Also - the service via Nottingham is being operated by East Midlands Trains, not Northern, so there will be no Pacers. I was referring to the normal Sheffield - Lincoln service which Northern usually seem to spruce up with 158s during the Xmas Market!

CallySleeper

Established Member

These trains are booked HSTs too.

It appears that no extra services from St Pancras are operating this year.

There will be a special HST from STP at 08.45 on the Saturday, calling LTN (09:15), BDM (09:34), NOT (10:48) and LCN only (11:33), although the intermediate stops have been classified as 'unadvertised'. ECS to/from Derby EP then return is at 16:07 from LCN calling at same stops plus BEE, arr STP 19:43. Why EMT haven't advertised this (yet) is beyond me.

philjo

Established Member
There will be a special HST from STP at 08.45 on the Saturday, calling LTN (09:15), BDM (09:34), NOT (10:48) and LCN only (11:33), although the intermediate stops have been classified as 'unadvertised'. ECS to/from Derby EP then return is at 16:07 from LCN calling at same stops plus BEE, arr STP 19:43. Why EMT haven't advertised this (yet) is beyond me.

Isn't that train the UKR HST special? - UKR have been advertising this since the Summer. 1st class dining is nearly full but standard class seats are still available for booking online. (£34.50)

http://www.ukrailtours.com/tourshow.asp?tourtype=excursion_trains&tourfile=121208_LINCOLN_CHRISTMAS_MARKET_125_SPECIAL.txt

CallySleeper

Established Member

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Does anybody know if any of the local services between Nottingham and Lincoln will be worked Meridians on the Saturday as in previous years? Additionally, is any strengthening planned on Northern services?

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Does anybody know if any of the local services between Nottingham and Lincoln will be worked Meridians on the Saturday as in previous years? Additionally, is any strengthening planned on Northern services?

As far as I'm aware, it will just be the additional Nottingham, Derby and Sheffield services that are worked using HSTs. The remainder of local services will be worked by local units. Northern usually attempt some strengthening but it is no guarantee.

Status
Not open for further replies.