• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

List - Heritage Railways Operation Railcars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gostav

For the past year I have been looking for heritage rail systems in the UK that offers a forward view through cab partitions.

Now l have a incomplete list and l haven't visited any of small heritage lines such as Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

I wonder if I missed other heritage railcar trip on long line?

NameSingle Trip time
East Lancashire Railway1 hour
Swanage Railway through train40 minClass 117
Great Central Railway Mainline30 min
GCR Mountsorrel Branch25 minDerby Lightweight
Keighley & Worth Valley Railway40 minClass 101, Pacers
Llangollen Railway40 minClass 127/108 (To Llangollen direction need pay £1 for 1st class seat)
Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Rly1 hour 20 minClass 117
Kent and East Sussex Railway50 minClass 108, GWR Railcar
Isle of Wight Steam Railway40 minRyde Pier Tram
Embsay and Bolton Avenue Railway20 minClass 103
North Norfolk Railway20 minClass 101
Gwili RailwayClass 117
Heritage tramways
Blackpool Heritage Tram Trip1 hourDouble Decker fleet
Manx Electric Railway1 hour

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cav1975

For the past year I have been looking for heritage rail systems in the UK that offers a forward view through cab partitions.

Now l have a incomplete list and l haven't visited any of small heritage lines such as Isle of Wight Steam Railway.

East Lancashire Railway1 hourClass 108
Keighley & Worth Valley Railway40 minClass 101 Class 143
Llangollen Railway40 minClass 127/108 (To Llangollen direction need pay £1 for first class seat)
Heritage tramways
The Isle of Wight Steam Railway is about the same length as the Worth Valley.

Former SR Ryde Pier Tram, Drewry Railcar no. 2, has forward views and is run as a timetabled extra on certain days. Round trip about 50 mins including stops.

railfan99

Established Member
Embsay and Bolton Avenue Railway: 20 minutes each way, railcar 103 - the first self propelled railcar worldwide.

North Norfolk Railway: 20-25 minutes each way, Class 101 railcar.

xotGD

Established Member
There is also M79964 Waggon & Maschinenbau Diesel Railbus. The 143 won't be operating again, but there is a 144.

M79964 should be out tomorrow.

david l

ELR doesn't have a 108, but does have 104, 105, 110, 121, 122 (although the last 3 are currently out of traffic), would suggest full round trip is nearer 1 hr 40 min.

Established Member

Llangollen Railway40 minClass 127/108 (To Llangollen direction need pay £1 for first class seat)
Heritage tramways
Ecclesbourne Valley Railway has 121 W55034 which occasionally makes it down the line.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Swanage Railway also has a 121 which it adds to the 117 on busy days.
Llangollen has four 2-car units, used either singly, or in pairs to form a 4-car train. They are of classes 104, 108, 109, and a class 127/108 hybrid.

In BR use 127s could not work with other classes (except the mechanically similar class 113) because of potential damage to the transmission of a trailing dmmu if the lead vehicle was a 127 (which is a dhmu) and the driver forgot to operate the gearchange. This is not an issue with Llangollen's hybrid as the 108 car is a trailer so has no transmission to damage. I don't know if the 127/108 hybrid is allowed to work in multiple with the other units at Llangollen and, if so, whether it has to be formed with the 127 vehicle in the middle of the formation.

The 109 is unique, the sole survivor of a class of only five units - two were returned to the manufacturer to allow it to fulfil an export order to Trinidad. Around the same time the one now preserved was transferred to departmental use as an inspection saloon.

paul1609

Established Member
At the K&ESR we have a 108 which is regularly in service, our line is currently 11 miles long and in the process of being extended to 13. It's about 50 mins each way. We also have GWR railcar W20 on which restoration is progressing well.

paul1609

Established Member
Out of curiosity, when do you reckon it will be finished? I'll probably go and see it when its up and running:).
The target was sometime next year 2024 which is the railways 50th year since reopening. Obviously such a massive rebuild hits obstacles with supply and recommissioning and training of staff will be a huge task so it's still a case of watch this space atm but (relatively) soon is the positive response

Gostav

At the K&ESR we have a 108 which is regularly in service, our line is currently 11 miles long and in the process of being extended to 13. It's about 50 mins each way. We also have GWR railcar W20 on which restoration is progressing well.
Ah, l will add it on my list, so the line would be extend to Junction Road Halt right?

paul1609

Established Member
Ah, l will add it on my list, so the line would be extend to Junction Road Halt right?
Generally the railway operates Tenterden to Bodiam which is 10.25 miles. The line however is currently complete to the site of and occasionally operates to Junction Rd 11 miles. Modern risk assessment prevents the reinstatement of Junction Rd Halt on the original site due to passenger egress on to a fast limited width national speed limit road. The site is constrained by its position alongside the River Rother.
Work on the missing section to Northbridge Street, Roberts bridge will start next year connecting back to the mainline at Robertsbridge Junction which is 13.3 miles in total.

Trainlog

I would recommend the South Devon railway - some good DMUs that will offer a forward facing view through the cab.

The line also puts its GWR autocoaches to work albeit they don't use them for a push-pull operations often - they will put it at one end of the train so that you can get to see the views out the back of the train.

I done both DMU and autocoach on that line and tbf i had good experiences from both of them:).

John Webb

Established Member
Mid-Norfolk railway (9 miles long at present) has two sets of class 101 DMUs, but both sets are currently out of use being repaired/restored.
They also at one time had a class 122 'bubble car' but that's no longer listed on their website and may be the one now at the Great Central Railway.

co-tr-paul

If its the view that's important, can we add brake van rides ? Sadly due to increase in capacity requirements, these are getting less and less and the open air experience is missed
( does that bring into play the balcony converted mk1 ! ) .

WalesRail

NameSingle Trip time
Keighley & Worth Valley Railway40 minClass 101, Pacers
Kent and East Sussex Railway50 minClass 108, GWR Railcar
Isle of Wight Steam Railway40 minRyde Pier Tram
Embsay and Bolton Avenue Railway20 minClass 103
North Norfolk Railway20 minClass 101
Heritage tramways
add Cranmore who have a DMU running during certain days.

Parham Wood

add Cranmore who have a DMU running during certain days.
Yes the East Somerset Railway at Cranmore has Class 108 Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) L231 which runs occasionally. It is owned and operated by the separate Mendip Traction & Rolling Stock Group. Operating times are on the ESR website. Look out for the burger night specials these have been very popular with the food being provided by the excellent and popular independent cafe at the ESR which is open even when the railway is not running but do check before going.

The S&DJR at Midsomer Norton has a Class 107 Diesel Multiple Unit which runs on some days. Check roster for dates,

Richard Scott

Established Member
Gloucestershire Warwickshire regularly use the 117 unit. Look out for a blue timetable for full length runs of the line; around 14 miles. Also a green timetable where it does shuttles mostly between Toddington and Winchcombe but also has one trip to Broadway.

raafif

Used to ride these back in 1964/5 - are many preserved as I would like to ride one again just for nostalgia.
What is the right name for these ? Can't find any photos of these early ones on the net, only the later versions.

Attachments

• UKrailbus-1.jpg
    UKrailbus-1.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 16

cav1975

Used to ride these back in 1964/5 - are many preserved as I would like to ride one again just for nostalgia.
What is the right name for these ? Can't find any photos of these early ones on the net, only the later versions.
None of this exact type (Built by Park Royal) survive there are four railbuses of the German built Waggon und Maschinenbau type and two of the A C Cars type. Of these 6 I think that only two are opertional, one each at the Ribble Steam railway and at the Worth Vallley Railway. You can find a lot of information towards the botom of this page https://www.railcar.co.uk/type/ . The preservation info is here - https://preserved.railcar.co.uk/DRB.html
1702281425425.png

Status
Not open for further replies.