• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Liverpool to York

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisTheRef

Established Member
Travelling this coming Wednesday and returning later the same day, walk up fares only between Aigburth and York.

Cheapest I've found is £40.40 splitting at Leeds.

The Saver Return is £45.70.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

toffeedanish

Off Peak Day Return Aigburth to Manchester Stns £11.10, Off Peak Return Manchester Stns to York £25.40.

Total £36.50.

toffeedanish

That's interesting: York to Manchester Stns is £25.40. Manchester Stns to York is indeed as you state £27.20. This is because Yorkshire folk are tighter :D

TUC

Established Member
That's interesting: York to Manchester Stns is £25.40. Manchester Stns to York is indeed as you state £27.20. This is because Yorkshire folk are tighter :D
Is there a likely actual reason for the variation in fares other than the vagauries of the fares system?

Lampshade

Established Member
Is there a likely actual reason for the variation in fares other than the vagauries of the fares system?

More demand in one direction? There are a lot of fares that are cheaper travelling from London than to London.

tony_mac

Established Member
I think that a Prescot to Leeds CDR, route not Preston / Liverpool should be valid by changing at Edge Hill - and hence from West Allerton.

That would be £21.50 + £10.70 for Leeds - York.

First class

Established Member
I think that a Prescot to Leeds CDR, route not Preston / Liverpool should be valid by changing at Edge Hill - and hence from West Allerton.

I don't think NOT LPOOL/PRESTN is valid via Edge Hill... This route appears to exist to prohibit TPE services from Liverpool.

Edge Hill is part of Liverpool Group...

Not Liverpool/Preston route suggests via Wigan & Manchester

tony_mac

Established Member
Edge Hill is part of Liverpool Group...

As I recall, from the infamous WSMR 'route Birmingham' situation - they said that 'Route Birmingham' means via Birmingham Stations, and not Birmingham Group.

(added link to letter from ATOC here)
http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=319605&postcount=93

Not Liverpool/Preston route suggests via Wigan & Manchester
or via Earlestown and Manchester

I certainly don't think it is intended for travel via Edge Hill, but I think (at the moment) that it is permitted.

Last edited:

34D

Established Member

Hmmm. By my reckoning, Prescot to Garforth £21.50 is valid on maps ML and TP which permits prescot-edge hill-liverpool south parkway-warrington-manchester-huddersfield-leeds-garforth HOWEVER east coast doesn't produce this fare when specifying via Edge Hill.

Anyway, that ticket, then another ticket (cheaper than £10.70 or £11.80) for Garforth to York - details sent to the OP by PM.

The first train you could get (allowing for the journey from Prescot you won't do) is 10:06 at West Allerton / 10:09 at Liverpool South Parkway. Between Leeds and York, you need to be on the one train an hour that stops at garforth which is xx57 from Man Pic and xx57 (the next hour) from Leeds.

Can change at your choice of Man pic, huddersfield or Leeds. Will be same platform (plat 8) at hud where there is a nice buffet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.