• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM - New Trainee Driver Vacancies - Now Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

GadgetMan

As per title.

Various locations, closing date 25th April but may disappear sooner.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cobbler

just started as a conductor myself but if i hadn't id be applying for one of those driver roles
good luck all who apply

SPADTrap

Established Member
Applied! Do they read applications as they receive them or at the end?

KT530

Birmingham, Coventry, Bletchley & Northampton.

Does anyone know which come under West Mids conditions and which under West Coast?

svrdan

Birmingham/Coventry will cover the West Midlands and the other to the West Coast. Going to make an application for this.

Sammy h

Anyone have any details of the salary whilst training for this role?

SPADTrap

Established Member

Pay structure
Trainee Rate £24,132 (per annum) minimum 9 month period
Probationary rate £33,149 (per annum) 12 months
Fully Qualified £44,197 (per annum)

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The salary is listed in the detail job description document

Sammy h

Ignore the above, if you click on the job description all of the info is in there :)

plastictaffy

Sod the salary, apply while it's still there. It won't be there for long!!!
From speaking in the messroom with drivers already on with them, it works out to be a bit less than a guard's salary while driver training, so around the 24ish mark. Get on it, the vacancy won't be open for long!!!

Mark282

I wonder if anyone can help with a query I have?

The application process has space to attach a CV and covering letter, however it makes no reference in the 'advert' / job description to CV's or a covering letter.

The question is... Should I attached a CV and covering letter, or just answer the question in the application process?

I appreciate your help. I have emailed the recruitment team, but knowing how busy they must be, I'd hate the post to close before I got a reply!

Many thanks
mark

KT530

Looks like CV and covering letter are not mandatory, but you can upload if you wish, and they can only help your application!

badu

Looks like CV and covering letter are not mandatory, but you can upload if you wish, and they can only help your application!

So do you also need an engineering qualification and mechanical/electrical experience to apply??
I've never heard of these requirements when applying for Trainee Driver roles. I wonder if its just a London Midland requirement.
Shame really as i have neither of the above but really want to apply!!

daddy_badger

So do you also need an engineering qualification and mechanical/electrical experience to apply??
I've never heard of these requirements when applying for Trainee Driver roles. I wonder if its just a London Midland requirement.
Shame really as i have neither of the above but really want to apply!!

Just apply, what's the worse thing they could say?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Good luck to all - I'm going to apply for the conductor role, (purely becuase of my age!). Anyone know the conditions for Guards based on West Coast routes?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Applied! Wonder how long the vacancy will be open for?!

It's still open?!:o ;)
Most probably a couple more days, but there's a fair few depots on there, so might be a fair few spaces to fill. Not like the Senior Conductor, only Northants and Bletchley, when ideally, I'd like to have relocated to the West Midlands!
Good luck though mate :D

svrdan

I actually come from the west midlands,, and would like to relocate to maybe Betchley or Northampton should anything happen with the application lol

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I actually come from the west midlands,, and would like to relocate to maybe Betchley or Northampton should anything happen with the application lol

I say West Midlands, I really mean Kiddi - pig of a trip to get from Cardiff to Bdy every other weekend!! Bletchly and Northants aren't much closer or easier! But, needs must for a job on the traisn these days :P

I applied for these roles when they were originally advertised back in 2011 and had a first stage interview/assessment day which I passed, only for the jobs to be filled internally (allegedly). Two weeks ago I was contacted by LM asking if I was still interested... I'm off to Croydon in two weeks to resit my reaction/safety tests as my last pass date (with ATW) is too long ago for LM to accept. Is it coincidence I was contacted the same day as the franchise was extended?!

daddy_badger

Looking at relocating from the midlands, applied in 2011ish and got rejected and yes I heard on the grapevine they were filled internally. Also I know somebody else that was offered a position who had passed with LM.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
It sounds like I'm one of the only people who to relocate TO the West Midlands!! It's not that bad, is it?

svrdan

Keiran. I can tell you now there is nothing left in the west midlands, especially where i am. No opportunists for work etc, the area is isolated, towns are ghost towns. Birmingham is the only busy place left in the west midlands lol. For me after being in Wales for the last 3 years at Uni, i know that im not going to return there permanently. I Wouldnt mind if Northampton & Betchley are taken up to go for Coventry.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Keiran. I can tell you now there is nothing left in the west midlands, especially where i am. No opportunists for work etc, the area is isolated, towns are ghost towns. Birmingham is the only busy place left in the west midlands lol. For me after being in Wales for the last 3 years at Uni, i know that im not going to return there permanently. I Wouldnt mind if Northampton & Betchley are taken up to go for Coventry.

I don't really have the choice at the moment! They're only recruiting conductors at Bletchley/Northants - West Midlands is a lot closer to home than MK. But thanks for the advice, I'll try stearing clear. Not going to lie mind, I do like BDY, nice area, nice houses, and steam trains. What more could you want

plastictaffy

Good luck to all - I'm going to apply for the conductor role, (purely becuase of my age!). Anyone know the conditions for Guards based on West Coast routes?

What do you mean, the conditions??
The job's great, the money's there if you want it, and it's a job for life if you keep your head down, keep your nose clean and don't make any big mistakes!!! Just apply anyway - you can always turn it down if you don't think it's for you. What you got to lose??

Mark282

If you put it in, what's the worst that can happen?? So you give them more information than they actually ask for - hardly likely to get you put in the "No" pile, is it??? Just saying.

A valid point however I when come companies have hundreds or thousands of applicants for a few posts, they use all sorts of techniques to 'bin' people at the screening stage. I just want to give myself the best available opportunity! But yes, I think you make a valid point!!!!!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
What do you mean, the conditions??
The job's great, the money's there if you want it, and it's a job for life if you keep your head down, keep your nose clean and don't make any big mistakes!!! Just apply anyway - you can always turn it down if you don't think it's for you. What you got to lose??

I meant along the lines of 4 or 5 day week, compulsary sundays, shift lengths, etc. Doesn't bother me at all, just curious! I did see mentioned somewhere there's West Coast and West Midlands conditions, I was just curious to what the West Coast ones were

Status
Not open for further replies.