• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Advances

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
Got myself a bit confused.

I am trying to look at Aviemore to Leeds for Sunday 24th October. LNER are saying all fares are available including cheap advance fares, but it is only showing standard anytime singles. Weekends before show advances available, but not the weekends after.

They surely haven't sold out, and just haven't released the advance fares yet?

Just thought with six weeks to go they'd be released but remember LNER at one point having weekend advance fares on a four week look ahead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
Got myself a bit confused.

I am trying to look at Aviemore to Leeds for Sunday 24th October. LNER are saying all fares are available including cheap advance fares, but it is only showing standard anytime singles. Weekends before show advances available, but not the weekends after.

They surely haven't sold out, and just haven't released the advance fares yet?

Just thought with six weeks to go they'd be released but remember LNER at one point having weekend advance fares on a four week look ahead.
There is availability from Aviemore to York, but not through to Leeds. This suggests that the problem is that Northern have not made sufficient space available on their service. The tickets to York are currently at £109.00 for standard Advance, so not too much of a bargain. The trains are diverted via Carlisle so that will have restricted capacity and as a result pushed the prices up a bit on top of it being around the time of school half term holidays.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
There is availability from Aviemore to York, but not through to Leeds. This suggests that the problem is that Northern have not made sufficient space available on their service. The tickets to York are currently at £109.00 for standard Advance, so not too much of a bargain. The trains are diverted via Carlisle so that will have restricted capacity and as a result pushed the prices up a bit on top of it being around the time of school half term holidays.
Had not noticed the diversion! That's probably causing the issue as well. We have railcards so to be honest the 94.05 single isn't so bad ish..

Although interestingly the train has a triangle showing disruption and diversions, but still calls at Berwick Upon Tweed and the journey time is unchanged... Sounds like it isn't all loaded in yet.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
I can see a ticket on the 1022 from Aviemore to Newcastle for £20.20 on Sunday 24 October. Does that assist?

Edit: screenshot of the fare on the Northern website

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-185914_National Rail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210909-185914_National Rail.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 26

Haywain

Veteran Member
I can see a ticket on the 1022 from Aviemore to Newcastle for £20.20 on Sunday 24 October. Does that assist?
Also on LNER website. And Newcastle to York can be had in the very same train for £7.90. Weird.

The trains are diverted via Carlisle so that will have restricted capacity
While the Carlisle diversion applies on the Saturday, the possession is due to be lifted at 09:00 on the Sunday. That cannot be the reason for the slightly high price of the Advance from Aviemore to York.

Last edited:

YorkshireBear

Established Member
And now the Aviemore to York advance is is £5 cheaper in first class at £68 with a railcard. Think I might treat us and then just get a cheap top up from york to Leeds. Thanks for the help, bit of a shame they don't seem to do through advances to Leeds, might put others off sinilar journeys. (Accepting Aviemore to Leeds isn't a big flow!)

Starmill

Veteran Member
And now the Aviemore to York advance is is £5 cheaper in first class at £68 with a railcard. Think I might treat us and then just get a cheap top up from york to Leeds. Thanks for the help, bit of a shame they don't seem to do through advances to Leeds, might put others off sinilar journeys. (Accepting Aviemore to Leeds isn't a big flow!)
They do offer Aviemore to Leeds tickets, but you need a suitable connecting train with availability. There may be one if you incrementally add more connection time at York.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think there is a possibility of changes to what you’re seeing as available but if you see a significant drop in the fare, snap it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.