• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER app losing return leg of journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iggy12a

I have become a recent convert to buying e-tickets on the LNER app because it neatly shows all upcoming tickets in date order.
I work shifts at Gatwick and have taken advantage of the Sale to purchase many tickets through May from Chichester to Gatwick at £1.75 each way (with Senior Railcard), knowing that if my shift changed, I could get an e-voucher under Book with Confidence.
I made a round trip booking for the 3rd May of 2 advance singles at £3.50, but realized I had made a mistake with the outbound timing, so I requested a refund of the outbound journey only, as LNER offer free cancellation if the error is discovered within 2 hours of the booking.
I received confirmation of the refund of £1.75.
When checking my upcoming tickets in the app, I suddenly realized that no ticket at all was showing for the 3rd May. I contacted LNER telephone support and they could see that only one leg had been cancelled, but they could not explain why the return leg was not showing in the app. They have recent the pdf of the return leg by email, but it is a bit concerning that the app has "lost" the ticket.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MKB

You should be glad it wasn't Avanti! Recently, I booked three journeys on the Avanti website in a single transaction, and the resulting mess in the app was a nightmare to sort out.

The email confirmation correctly showed the three journeys, but the app had incorrect tickets for the second journey, while the desktop account had incorrect eTickets for the first journey. The third journey, a return trip, had switched from eTicket to collection, but showed only the outbound ticket in the app not the return. The ticket machine only printed the outbound.

The ticket office in Euston didn't want to know. It took a long time on the phone to Avanti Customer Services to resolve. I was told by an Avanti Train Manager that problems with tickets not appearing correctly in their app are quite common.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I have become a recent convert to buying e-tickets on the LNER app because it neatly shows all upcoming tickets in date order.
I work shifts at Gatwick and have taken advantage of the Sale to purchase many tickets through May from Chichester to Gatwick at £1.75 each way (with Senior Railcard), knowing that if my shift changed, I could get an e-voucher under Book with Confidence.
I made a round trip booking for the 3rd May of 2 advance singles at £3.50, but realized I had made a mistake with the outbound timing, so I requested a refund of the outbound journey only, as LNER offer free cancellation if the error is discovered within 2 hours of the booking.
I received confirmation of the refund of £1.75.
When checking my upcoming tickets in the app, I suddenly realized that no ticket at all was showing for the 3rd May. I contacted LNER telephone support and they could see that only one leg had been cancelled, but they could not explain why the return leg was not showing in the app. They have recent the pdf of the return leg by email, but it is a bit concerning that the app has "lost" the ticket.
Did you check the My Account section of the website?

Iggy12a

Did you check the My Account section of the website?
Within the My Bookings section of My Account of the website, the booking is shown. There is text to say that a refund has been completed against the booking, and that it may be a refund for some or all of the tickets.
From there, if I select Download My Tickets, it does correctly only give me the option to download the return leg.
If I select Email My Tickets, it lets me choose to to be sent 'All tickets', and the resulting email contains a pdf of both tickets . But if I 'Select your tickets' to be resent, it only gives me the option of the return leg.

Iggy12a

We're looking into this can you message me your booking reference please?
Sent

So...I have also submitted 3 Book with Confidence refund requests to LNER for Off peak journeys, with the reason of 'Change ticket time and/or date' and providing screenshots of both the ticket to be refunded, and the new ticket I have purchased as a replacement journey.
2 tickets were refunded, no problem. Today, I received confirmation that my third ticket of £10.80 had been refunded less a £10 admin fee.
I went to the Chat feature and got through to a human. Unfortunately she informed me that the deduction of the £10 fee was correct. I advised her that she was wrong, but she was adamant. I asked her to check with her manager, and the response was still that refunding a flexible ticket, even under Book with Confidence, and cancelling/rebooking, a £10 fee always applied.
I then asked her to look at one of the previous refunds where the £10 had not been deducted.
She then told me that an error had been made in not deducting the £10 when processing that refund. However on this occasion she was prepared to offer me a £10 e-voucher as a gesture of goodwill.
As I was getting my £10 back, I agreed to settle, but I am very unimpressed with the lack of knowledge of Book with Confidence.

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Book with Confidence is for Advance tickets which are normally non-refundable.

Iggy12a

Book with Confidence is for Advance tickets which are normally non-refundable.
It is also for flexible tickets when you want to change the date. If you rebook the same journey for a new date, the original journey can be cancelled and refunded with no admin fee.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It is also for flexible tickets when you want to change the date. If you rebook the same journey for a new date, the original journey can be cancelled and refunded with no admin fee.
From the staff brief regarding the latest extension to the scheme:
Book with Confidence will now run up to and including 30 September 2022 so that Advance ticket bookings can be exchanged to travel at a different time or date fee-free.
And:
Anytime, Off-Peak & Super Off-Peak Ticket Holders
Customers holding non-Advance tickets are already permitted to change their ticket to travel at another time without paying a fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.