• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER CAF fleet: predictions, suggestions etc

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's very likely there is no pointless "140mph" burden in the specification, which applied to the IEP (and Pendolinos).
Presumably they will be ETCS compliant for the ECML (a first for CAF in the UK).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Train

Established Member
My prediction is that the units will be completed, sent out on test, the battery technology will be found out to not be working, the units will sit in sidings for 5 years whilst the worlds greatest scientists try to figure it out before the DfT tell them to forget the battery bit and just run them as bi-modes

AdamWW

Established Member
My prediction is that the units will be completed, sent out on test, the battery technology will be found out to not be working, the units will sit in sidings for 5 years whilst the worlds greatest scientists try to figure it out before the DfT tell them to forget the battery bit and just run them as bi-modes

Is it not likely that they will be designed for hybrid operation and the diesels won't be poweful enough for reasonable acceleration without assistance from the batteries?

Kite159

Veteran Member
What could possibly go wrong with ordering a small microfleet of an unproven design (the tri-mode elements)?

How delayed will they be with software related issues?

Will be interesting to see what sort of seats they go for, hopefully something better than the god awful seats fitted to the CAF products on TPE.

Iskra

Established Member
So I guess the diesel/battery element being present is mainly for self-rescue and allows the Thunderbirds to be stood down permanently, considering the lines they operate on will be electrified.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
So I guess the diesel/battery element being present is mainly for self-rescue and allows the Thunderbirds to be stood down permanently, considering the lines they operate on will be electrified.
Or they may to operate services to the likes of Sunderland and/or Middlesbrough.

Established Member
Thunderbirds will still have a need for all operators

norbitonflyer

Established Member
There are 66 CAF-built carriages about to be looking for a new home. Could they be reconfigured for this new role? ;)

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
My guess, noting that they’ve ordered 10x 10-car bi mode sets to replace 7x 9-car electric sets, is that these new units may see use to Harrogate, Hull, Lincoln and possibly Middlesbrough. Also useful for Joint Line and Cambridge diversions which the Mark 4s aren’t.
I personally also thought that Sunderland may get a boost, or of course the upcoming Cleethorpes service. (Note that I am speculating, this isn't confirmed by anyone at LNER.)

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
They aren't just there to move passenger trains out of the way after failures.
No, but a train with passengers on is a more pressing issue than one with containers on due to the risk of passengers detraining themselves. The TOC/FOC’s all have an agreement to send the nearest loco to the rescue, and this would pretty much always be less urgent when it’s not a passenger train involved, so I suspect this arrangement will be found adequate now that the passenger trains can all take care of themselves.

Or they may to operate services to the likes of Sunderland and/or Middlesbrough.
The LNER chairman has said they are for London-West Riding/York services. I think that statement is quite definitive.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The LNER chairman has said they are for London-West Riding/York services. I think that statement is quite definitive.
More Bradford services to compete with GC possibly? (This is purely me speculating, this isn't confirmed by anyone at LNER.)

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
I personally also thought that Sunderland may get a boost, or of course the upcoming Cleethorpes service.
Sunderland won’t have the capacity. Metro will be increasing to 6 trains per hour in the next few years and Northern plan (or had planned) to increase to 2 trains per hour.

Middlesbrough would be an extension of existing York stoppers so would presumably fit under that category.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Sunderland won’t have the capacity. Metro will be increasing to 6 trains per hour in the next few years and Northern plan (or had planned) to increase to 2 trains per hour.
Unless they follow GC's route.

Neptune

Established Member
It’s happening in December.
Unless they follow GC's route.
The capacity issue also affects the south end of Sunderland station and the fact that the Metro services cross the mainline heading towards South Hylton. The GC and Northern services are already factored into the 6tph Metro uplift.

In any case does Sunderland really need anymore than the current 1tpd LNER and 6tpd GC services? There are good connections at Newcastle to/from London all day in addition to these 7 direct services.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Middlesbrough would be an extension of existing York stoppers so would presumably fit under that category.
At the moment it sits in a fast to/from York path! From memory when the original IEP timetable was mooted by VTEC way back in the 2015 sort of time frame the idea was that the Middlesbrough's would be 1tp2h fast to/from York alternating with the fast London - York - Newcastle - Edinburgh service. Of course events have marched on significantly since then but they aren't currently the extension of a York stopper.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
At the moment it sits in a fast to/from York path! From memory when the original IEP timetable was mooted by VTEC way back in the 2015 sort of time frame the idea was that the Middlesbrough's would be 1tp2h fast to/from York alternating with the fast London - York - Newcastle - Edinburgh service. Of course events have marched on significantly since then but they aren't currently the extension of a York stopper.
hopefully with tri mode LNER will now offer an on demand Fenny Stratford > Darlington service ( subject to alteration as per national league fixtures) ;)

I suspect any extra Boro services will have to be an extension of the York stoppers as I cant see any other practical option. These seem ideal trains to extend LNER services perhaps offering more services to Boro, Bradford, Harrogate, Cleethorpes, Huddersfield etc as extension of existing terminating services.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
hopefully with tri mode LNER will now offer an on demand Fenny Stratford > Darlington service ( subject to alteration as per national league fixtures) ;)

I suspect any extra Boro services will have to be an extension of the York stoppers as I cant see any other practical option. These seem ideal trains to extend LNER services perhaps offering more services to Boro, Bradford, Harrogate, Cleethorpes, Huddersfield etc as extension of existing terminating services.
A fixed ten-car set would be overkill for Huddersfield, and won't fit in the station for a good few years yet.
Wasn't the original plan for the Huddersfield service a 5-car IET set, splitting and joining with a Harrogate at Leeds?

Established Member

That was original plan to extend the York stoppers to Boro.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
In any case does Sunderland really need anymore than the current 1tpd LNER and 6tpd GC services? There are good connections at Newcastle to/from London all day in addition to these 7 direct services.
Does Sunderland directly need it with the 1tpd LNER and 6tpd GC? Probably not. But GC is cancelling numerous services due to reliability issues with the 180s and I would argue that places that the service would stop at definitely do need the capacity, such as Darlington and the service could stop elsewhere like Newark.

Neptune

Established Member
Does Sunderland directly need it with the 1tpd LNER and 6tpd GC? Probably not. But GC is cancelling numerous services due to reliability issues with the 180s and I would argue that places that the service would stop at definitely do need the capacity, such as Darlington and the service could stop elsewhere like Newark.
Firstly GC don’t stop at Darlington so not really relevant here. Secondly you cannot plan a timetable on the proviso that another company may have some cancellations. As a planner trust me on that one, especially as we are talking a minimum 5 years in the future so unless you have a crystal ball can you tell me that GC will still be having unit problems?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Firstly GC don’t stop at Darlington so not really relevant here. Secondly you cannot plan a timetable on the proviso that another company may have some cancellations. As a planner trust me on that one, especially as we are talking a minimum 5 years in the future so unless you have a crystal ball can you tell me that GC will still be having unit problems?

It's fairly likely that within 5 years GC will have a fleet of ex-Avanti Voyagers and the whole "Grand Cancel" thing is a bad memory from the past. So no, they almost certainly won't.

TreacleMiller

A fixed ten-car set would be overkill for Huddersfield, and won't fit in the station for a good few years yet.
Wasn't the original plan for the Huddersfield service a 5-car IET set, splitting and joining with a Harrogate at Leeds?

Not going to happen. Coupling at leeds is a major headache for us.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
I never said that GC stops at Darlington, I said that Darlington could do with more trains to London and LNER to Sunderland could be faster than GC is meaning that they could be more competitive.

Marton

At the moment it sits in a fast to/from York path!
Does it sit as a fast from York?

If so why is it scheduled for the Sunderland GC to overtake it between Grantham and Peterborough?

10 cars from/to Middlesbrough would make use of the extended platform which I believe was required to allow the service even though it’s always been 5 cars. Seems like otherwise it was a waste of money building it.

Neptune

Established Member
I never said that GC stops at Darlington, I said that Darlington could do with more trains to London and LNER to Sunderland could be faster than GC is meaning that they could be more competitive.
Darlington has 2tph to London. The same as Leeds which with all due respect has a much larger population and has far more incoming traffic from London too.