• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER cancellations

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

My Aberdeen - London train has ben cancelled tomorrow, yet again, and as per usual with no ticket acceptance arranged. Despite their website saying they're running a good service there is a very long list of trains cancelled or only running part of their schedule, all due to a shortage of crew. What's going on, is this the overtime ban?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am the same boat, hopefully they will be paying out a 2 hour delay repay as a result. I suspect it is train crew deciding not to do overtime, as is their right.

Frustrating as I only book the ticket about 30 minutes before I got the text saying it was cancelled.

Established Member
My Aberdeen - London train has ben cancelled tomorrow, yet again, and as per usual with no ticket acceptance arranged. Despite their website saying they're running a good service there is a very long list of trains cancelled or only running part of their schedule, all due to a shortage of crew. What's going on, is this the overtime ban?
Crews choosing to work there book shifts only.
LNER do not have enough crew to run there timetable without staff working overtime.

Ticket acceptance has been requested from Scotrail but has not been confirmed.
There are rail replacement coaches scheduled to operate.

I am the same boat, hopefully they will be paying out a 2 hour delay repay as a result. I suspect it is train crew deciding not to do overtime, as is their right.

Frustrating as I only book the ticket about 30 minutes before I got the text saying it was cancelled.
you will certainly get Delay repay based on your final arrival time at your destination.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If you really want to guarantee you won't need to travel by bus, you could buy a ticket for travel on the service before and then submit this to their customer relations asking for compensation in line with your rights under the "reasonable care and skill" provision in the Consumer Rights Act. I think that this would be quite persuasive and as a minimum you could expect to arrive on time at your destination and have them cover this extra cost, as it will almost certainly be less than the delay repay bill they'd have had to pay. Obviously, if the ScotRail service were exorbitantly expensive or there weren't one at all then you wouldn't do this, but the normal flexible single from Aberdeen to Edinburgh is £43.10. Unfortunately this introduces a whole lot of additional hassle for you, and of course you can't expect to be compensated for wasting your time dealing with it all, nor for having the inconvenience of getting to the station earlier, so it may be far simpler to just take the risk you'll have to travel by bus.

Failed Unit

Established Member
Crews choosing to work there book shifts only.
LNER do not have enough crew to run there timetable without staff working overtime.

Ticket acceptance has been requested from Scotrail but has not been confirmed.
There are rail replacement coaches scheduled to operate.

you will certainly get Delay repay based on your final arrival time at your destination.
I had to abandon in the end, I had booked on the 1458 Stevenage - Lincoln (onwards to Market Rasen) so I decided to go for the one 1556 instead. However it was also cancelled at very short notice for the same reason. To be fair to LNER they did try to additionally stop the 1603 London - Leeds at Stevanage, the down side was just a 5 coach service so I could use it.

The biggest frustration to me was had I known about the cancellation of the of the 1556, I replanned (or at least seen if they would have let me travel via King Cross and use the 1630 Kings Cross - Glasgow service)

Established Member
I had to abandon in the end, I had booked on the 1458 Stevenage - Lincoln (onwards to Market Rasen) so I decided to go for the one 1556 instead. However it was also cancelled at very short notice for the same reason. To be fair to LNER they did try to additionally stop the 1603 London - Leeds at Stevanage, the down side was just a 5 coach service so I could use it.

The biggest frustration to me was had I known about the cancellation of the of the 1556, I replanned (or at least seen if they would have let me travel via King Cross and use the 1630 Kings Cross - Glasgow service)
Ah not good, make sure you go for a full refund!

Failed Unit

Established Member
Thanks, I have got the application in, I have also got a text saying the train I had planned to use tomorrow is also cancelled because of a shortage train crew. If I had managed to make the journey, I would have got it for free (with the delay repay claims).

Status
Not open for further replies.