• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Centenary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
New LNER OTOH basically only run the intercity service on a single mainline and a few branches from said mainline. The local and regional services are run by a mix of other operators. Local and regional services are all provided by other operators (GTR, EMR, TPE, Northern and Scotrail) . They also share their line with a bunch of open access operators, something that doesn't happen in the rest of the uK..
Not to mention freight being in open access hands (nationwide).
Also not to mention the non-ECML parts of LNER (ex-GE/GC etc).
A GA Liverpool St-Norwich service is as entitled to the same LNER heritage as one from King's Cross to Edinburgh.
Ditto the now (in)famous ex-GC Wrexham-Bidston service.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Much as I like the brand name, exploiting it for this purpose is totally dishonest at best. As a point of interest: when was the GWR company first established? It pre-dated the Grouping, did it not?
The Great Western Railway was formed in 1833, and lasted until nationalisation in 1947.

Irascible

Established Member
As a point of interest: when was the GWR company first established? It pre-dated the Grouping, did it not?

There were some large ( and quite interesting ) events celebrating GWR 150 in BR days - however it was in 1985. You could get a ( steam ) train to Portishead from Bristol TM, or a train to Bristol Docks, there was a train of preserved GW freight stock on the main line iirc, probably a lot I've forgotten. And there wasn't an actual GWR in existence at the time! Meanwhile, LNER...

The exile

Established Member
There were some large ( and quite interesting ) events celebrating GWR 150 in BR days - however it was in 1985. You could get a ( steam ) train to Portishead from Bristol TM, or a train to Bristol Docks, there was a train of preserved GW freight stock on the main line iirc, probably a lot I've forgotten. And there wasn't an actual GWR in existence at the time! Meanwhile, LNER...
As has been pointed out above, there was a pretty good correlation between the “real” GWR and the Western Region (some would say too much!) and indeed, within England at least, its modern reincarnation. The same applies to Southern Railway and its successor Region, not only geographically but also by characteristics.

Doomotron

Established Member
The same applies to Southern Railway and its successor Region, not only geographically but also by characteristics.
Assuming you're referring to Southern as a train operator, I can't see that. Most of its operations are now in different franchises, including many of its former flagship routes, and I fail to see how a brand name used by GTR shares many characteristics with the former Southern Railway.

Irascible

Established Member
Assuming you're referring to Southern as a train operator, I can't see that. Most of its operations are now in different franchises, including many of its former flagship routes, and I fail to see how a brand name used by GTR shares many characteristics with the former Southern Railway.

I'm quite confident he was referring to the Southern Railway, 1923-1948.

The WR did retain it's identity for a long time, but not sure really how much individualism was left by the mid 80s. The GWR was ( and still is ) a popular subject in the area though.

The exile

Established Member
I'm quite confident he was referring to the Southern Railway, 1923-1948.

The WR did retain it's identity for a long time, but not sure really how much individualism was left by the mid 80s. The GWR was ( and still is ) a popular subject in the area though.
I was indeed. As to the WR of BR, while the “independent” spirit of operation etc would not have lasted that long, various things contributed to a general “continuity” of an identity. Association with a well-loved holiday area (both real and literary - as well as operationally ) was probably one while for the technically-minded things like lower-quadrant signalling and adistinctive front-line locomotive fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.