• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Class 91/Mk4 service status/withdrawals/2021 refurbishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
LNER must be notified by the retailers when a ticket is sold so that no-one reserves the same seat twice. In the interests of customer service you would think that they could work out a way of reissuing reservations and notifying everyone!
The retailers won't share the email address of the customer, that is the issue

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jaketaylor

Hi all was chatting to someone this afternoon who said 91111 made it to Newcastle this morning? Just wondering if there is any truth in it or if it’s just platform wibble!

thanks

43 302

Established Member
Hi all was chatting to someone this afternoon who said 91111 made it to Newcastle this morning? Just wondering if there is any truth in it or if it’s just platform wibble!

thanks
I don't think that one is even out today! Just 10, 19 & 27 I thought.

DanNCL

Established Member

thanks
I don't think that one is even out today! Just 10, 19 & 27 I thought.
91111 isn’t out today.

91119 did however make it to York during the day, which these days is quite uncommon as they’re usually only found on the first southbound/last northbound to York.

Thanks! I didn’t think there was any truth in it. Maybe one day we might be lucky up here and get them again but I highly doubt it lol
It would be nice!

Swimbar

91111 isn’t out today.

91119 did however make it to York during the day, which these days is quite uncommon as they’re usually only found on the first southbound/last northbound to York.

It would be nice!
Happens at the moment on a Saturday, presumably while the Carlisle diversions are on

Helvellyn

Established Member
LNER must be notified by the retailers when a ticket is sold so that no-one reserves the same seat twice. In the interests of customer service you would think that they could work out a way of reissuing reservations and notifying everyone!
No, it's RARS (Rail Availability and Reservation System) that is notified of all bookings. As others have said, not all retailers submit customer contact details to this. There are plans to improve communication when reservations change, and it happens for some scenarios now, but you need to book with LNER so they have your details.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well, last time I got the train oop North, I booked on the 21:30, thinking it would be a mk 4. "No, its a Sunday, the earlier train is the mk 4"

Book on this time on the earlier train and guess what. A sodding Azuma, sat on a plank for 2+hours.

There are times when it's hard to like the railway.

DanNCL

Established Member
Well, last time I got the train oop North, I booked on the 21:30, thinking it would be a mk 4. "No, its a Sunday, the earlier train is the mk 4"

Book on this time on the earlier train and guess what. A sodding Azuma, sat on a plank for 2+hours.

There are times when it's hard to like the railway.
A case of incredibly poor luck unfortunately as it was booked to be a Mark 4 set this evening. 91119+set had to return to Neville Hill early this afternoon, leading to 91127 on the diagram behind (which was supposed to work the 21:05 from Kings Cross this evening) being stepped forward to cover for 91119, and the remainder of 91127s own diagram being covered by a pair of 80xs.

I seem to have the same luck myself these days with set swaps, it's incredibly frustrating for us enthusiasts when they happen, though of course I fully understand why the majority of them are needed!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
A case of incredibly poor luck unfortunately as it was booked to be a Mark 4 set this evening. 91119+set had to return to Neville Hill early this afternoon, leading to 91127 on the diagram behind (which was supposed to work the 21:05 from Kings Cross this evening) being stepped forward to cover for 91119, and the remainder of 91127s own diagram being covered by a pair of 80xs.

I seem to have the same luck myself these days with set swaps, it's incredibly frustrating for us enthusiasts when they happen, though of course I fully understand why the majority of them are needed!

I suppose at least we're not forced to sit in teetotal silence in face masks, so there are some small mercies.

Established Member

91119 chipped pantograph again.

DanNCL

Established Member
91119 chipped pantograph again.
Suspected it would be. Surprised there's not a shortage of pantograph heads given how many of them have been needed over the last couple of months!

I'm surprised the cause of all these chipped pantographs (assuming it is just one issue causing all of them, which it may not be) hasn't been found yet, given that there will be loads of pantograph camera footage from the 80x fleets now, as well as the recordings from MENTOR's trip over the southern half of the ECML a couple of weeks ago.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Suspected it would be. Surprised there's not a shortage of pantograph heads given how many of them have been needed over the last couple of months!

I'm surprised the cause of all these chipped pantographs (assuming it is just one issue causing all of them, which it may not be) hasn't been found yet, given that there will be loads of pantograph camera footage from the 80x fleets now, as well as the recordings from MENTOR's trip over the southern half of the ECML a couple of weeks ago.
Are any IETs getting the chipped pantographs or is it just the 91s?

If it's just the 91s, wouldn't that indicate an issue with some feature that might be unique to the 91s? If it's the IETs as well, then it's obviously something out there on one of the lines.

DanNCL

Established Member

If it's just the 91s, wouldn't that indicate an issue with some feature that might be unique to the 91s? If it's the IETs as well, then it's obviously something out there on one of the lines.
It’s both fleets, but doesn’t usually require the 80xs to be pulled from service when chips are discovered as normally the other pantograph can still be used.

Established Member

IETs as well, it was thought to of been narrowed down to a section of overheads between Leeds Station and Leeds West Junction, that may if been found and could now be somewhere else.

skyhigh

Established Member
IETs as well, it was thought to of been narrowed down to a section of overheads between Leeds Station and Leeds West Junction, that may if been found and could now be somewhere else.
You'd have thought 331s and 333s would have been similarly affected if that was the case

GC class B1

My understanding is that the pantograph carbons become chipped and not the pantograph head . Carbons can be renewed as they are consumables.

DanNCL

Established Member
Two 91s pulled from service today, with 91110 and 91127 both failing to complete their diagrams, and the latter being dragged back to Neville Hill with yet another chipped pantograph by a 67.

skyhigh

Established Member
Two 91s pulled from service today, with 91110 and 91127 both failing to complete their diagrams, and the latter being dragged back to Neville Hill with yet another chipped pantograph by a 67.
I think you'll find it was actually 3 91s today...

Pep and co

Is the chipped pantograph relatively a new thing or something that can be tracked back over a number of years.

DanNCL

Established Member
Is the chipped pantograph relatively a new thing or something that can be tracked back over a number of years.
New over the last month or so. It's an infrastructure issue that's also affecting the 80x fleet, although the second pantograph on an 80x usually allows those to continue the diagram unlike the 91s which have to be pulled from service when the chips are discovered.

jaketaylor

91101 being moved tonight on a skate from Neville Hill to Doncaster wabtec, after suffering a seized axle at Wakefield last week. 67 thunderbird from Doncaster doing the move

I’d heard it got hauled to Wabtec. I’d also heard apparently it’s now going to be withdrawn! Does anyone else know about this?

thanks!

Established Member
I’d heard it got hauled to Wabtec. I’d also heard apparently it’s now going to be withdrawn! Does anyone else know about this?

thanks!
New over the last month or so. It's an infrastructure issue that's also affecting the 80x fleet, although the second pantograph on an 80x usually allows those to continue the diagram unlike the 91s which have to be pulled from service when the chips are discovered.
2 Mk4 diagrams pulled today due to Pan damage.

thanks!
Its not been hauled there yet, still at Neville Hill, and will be repaired.

GC class B1

As I mentioned in my earlier post I would be surprised if the pan head was being damaged on a regular basis. The pan head has carbon elements which contact the wire and these are the wearing parts. Minor OHL defects may cause the carbons to become chipped. In the event of more significant damage e.g. loss of a carbon, the pantograph will lower automatically to prevent damage to the OHL and/or the pantograph

Established Member
As I mentioned in my earlier post I would be surprised if the pan head was being damaged on a regular basis. The pan head has carbon elements which contact the wire and these are the wearing parts. Minor OHL defects may cause the carbons to become chipped. In the event of more significant damage e.g. loss of a carbon, the pantograph will lower automatically to prevent damage to the OHL and/or the pantograph
I think when most people describe damage to the pan, most people are savvy enough to know that it will be the carbon strip.

But is far easier for people who may not understand, if it is simply described as the pantograph.

Status
Not open for further replies.