• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER / Scotrail ticket acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

williamn

I travel Aberdeen to London and vice versa every few months and in the (seemingly frequent, including today’s 16.00 to Aberdeen) case of disruption between Edinburgh and Aberdeen LNER seem to only ever give the option of road transport or another LNER service, rather than arranging acceptance on one of Scotrail’s fairly frequent Edinburgh / Aberdeen trains. Why is this?

Scotrail staff incidentally seem happy to accept the ticket even without official acceptance in place.

Generally I find LNER to be a very good operator but this seems like a very customer unfriendly practice. If I’d wanted to sit on a coach for 3 hours, I’d have booked one.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I travel Aberdeen to London and vice versa every few months and in the (seemingly frequent, including today’s 16.00 to Aberdeen) case of disruption between Edinburgh and Aberdeen LNER seem to only ever give the option of road transport or another LNER service, rather than arranging acceptance on one of Scotrail’s fairly frequent Edinburgh / Aberdeen trains. Why is this?

Scotrail staff incidentally seem happy to accept the ticket even without official acceptance in place.

Generally I find LNER to be a very good operator but this seems like a very customer unfriendly practice. If I’d wanted to sit on a coach for 3 hours, I’d have booked one.
LNER will approach Scotrail for acceptance each time they start/terminate short at Edinburgh.

Based on passenger numbers, Scotrail will decide yes or no.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The usual reason is lack of capacity on ScotRail services; while most Edinburgh to Aberdeen and v-v should be HSTs, frequently many are 170s or sometimes 158s.

A 9-car Azuma is quite a lot of people to accommodate on even a 170, let alone a single 158.

The afternoon services are usually worse as they are busier from London and from Edinburgh of course.

Established Member
Edit - Ticket acceptance now in place with ScotRail on 1A97 2131 Edinburgh to Aberdeen.

MontyP

The usual reason is lack of capacity on ScotRail services; while most Edinburgh to Aberdeen and v-v should be HSTs, frequently many are 170s or sometimes 158s.

A 9-car Azuma is quite a lot of people to accommodate on even a 170, let alone a single 158.

The afternoon services are usually worse as they are busier from London and from Edinburgh of course.
How busy are LNER services north of Edinburgh?

Gaelan

I've never seen LNER run coaches to Fife - even when Aberdeen/Dundee get coaches, there's always some fine print somewhere (often added only a few minutes before we reach Waverley!) telling Fife passengers to get the ScotRail service.

Established Member
I've never seen LNER run coaches to Fife - even when Aberdeen/Dundee get coaches, there's always some fine print somewhere (often added only a few minutes before we reach Waverley!) telling Fife passengers to get the ScotRail service.
Coaches tonight, and like most times when they run buses are calling at all the stations LNER are scheduled to do!

There is also Edinburgh to Aberdeen direct, Edinburgh-Dundee-Edinburgh direct, and other combinations.

The times when customers for the Fife region are told to get Scotrail is when sourcing coaches proves unsuccessful.

Gaelan

Coaches tonight, and like most times when they run buses are calling at all the stations LNER are scheduled to do!

There is also Edinburgh to Aberdeen direct, Edinburgh-Dundee-Edinburgh direct, and other combinations.

The times when customers for the Fife region are told to get Scotrail is when sourcing coaches proves unsuccessful.
Ah! What I described has happened every time I've been caught up in it, but evidently not universal (Storm Babet and post-Stonehaven) - I stand corrected.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
LNER will approach Scotrail for acceptance each time they start/terminate short at Edinburgh.

Based on passenger numbers, Scotrail will decide yes or no.
But if ScotRail say no to ticket acceptance under commercial arrangements, it's incumbent on LNER to issue passengers with Any Permitted tickets to allow them to use ScotRail services, whether that's using the corporate credit card or by issuing zero-fare tickets at their Travel Centres or onboard.

Telling people to wait for the next LNER service or to endure the delay (let alone inconvenience) associated with a coach is simply not on, though sadly the ECML operators seem to have a particular habit of fobbing passengers off in this manner. As a bare minimum they should be guaranteeing passengers that any additional fares paid will be reimbursed.

Established Member
But if ScotRail say no to ticket acceptance under commercial arrangements, it's incumbent on LNER to issue passengers with Any Permitted tickets to allow them to use ScotRail services, whether that's using the corporate credit card or by issuing zero-fare tickets at their Travel Centres or onboard.

Telling people to wait for the next LNER service or to endure the delay (let alone inconvenience) associated with a coach is simply not on, though sadly the ECML operators seem to have a particular habit of fobbing passengers off in this manner. As a bare minimum they should be guaranteeing passengers that any additional fares paid will be reimbursed.
What others TOCs do that!? Not heard of any other operator in the country issuing any permitted tickets when a service terminates short or is cancelled.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What others TOCs do that!? Not heard of any other operator in the country issuing any permitted tickets when a service terminates short or is cancelled.
Grand Central used to do so in their early days. And a lot of other TOCs are better about arranging ticket acceptance so it doesn't come into play, but even on the occasions where they fall short, that's no excuse for LNER not to abide by their licence obligations.

williamn

Grand Central used to do so in their early days. And a lot of other TOCs are better about arranging ticket acceptance so it doesn't come into play, but even on the occasions where they fall short, that's no excuse for LNER not to abide by their licence obligations.
Indeed, I've very rarely had a problem with ticket acceptance not being arranged with any other operator, and it's particularly irritating on a route where LNER have only 4 trains a day to be told an 'option' is to wait for the next one!

Status
Not open for further replies.