• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER seatfrog prices increased markedly?

Bossworld

I've used Seatfrog maybe 20 times in the past, on the NCL <> KGX route. Last used it Dec 2023.

Typically I've used it to get on the 07:04 Flying Scotsman, having originally held a ticket for the significantly slower 07:30.

I've also used it going back up north, again usually changing from an original 19:30 to the 17:30 or similar.

On all bar one occasion (when I abandoned the idea as it was £30 odd) it's always been £10 to swap.

This week I'd originally booked the 08:58 and attempted to change to an earlier morning train but the upgrade price was £136.20. I had another look out of interest the following day, with a theoretical swap, and it was a similarly high cost. If I moved it later, the charge was back to £10.

Equally, looking at the evening one, to move it to midday or early afternoon is only £10, but anything around 5pm is a similarly high upgrade fee.

Ran a search on the forum but didn't find any corresponding posts. Does anyone know if this is a recent change? Seems as though there is now some form of surge pricing around peak times, perhaps after LNER have introduced those new semi flexible fares?

Or, possibly, they're now taking a more realistic look at the original cost difference between an advance for the 07:30 vs earlier trains? Playing about with Seatfrog and looking at 07:30 for tomorrow, shows an upgrade cost of £54.60 for the 07:04.

I have an open ticket with Seatfrog support but it's been radio silence since their initial reply two days ago, hence the thread.

Many thanks

-----

Reply back from them. Entire thing is still a little opaque as I paid a tenner only last month but seems out of their control. It is effectively the full amount of the difference between the two ticket types - you're just saving on the admin fee of trying to to adjust an advance ticket. Shame as it had been a terrific tool for me, but all good things have to end.

I've had a look at the Swap pricing as displayed on the website and a chat with our wider team - these prices do seem to be correct, though I appreciate that they are higher than the usual cost you've seen for a Swap.

We use advanced models to generate prices based on ticket pricing data for the route and how busy the service is, which is information provided to us by LNER.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

moleman212

I've never used seat swap, instead using seatfrog for 1st upgrades. I've noticed that the price point at which to automatically win an upgrade in the auctions increases significantly during school holidays.

Generally, prices have also risen though. It all seems a dark art, especially with their £3 fee.

Bossworld

I've never used seat swap, instead using seatfrog for 1st upgrades. I've noticed that the price point at which to automatically win an upgrade in the auctions increases significantly during school holidays.

Generally, prices have also risen though. It all seems a dark art, especially with their £3 fee.
I've not tried for a first class upgrade for years, what kind of price are they landing at? Still about £30-40?

They did come back to me with quite a detailed reply, and showed an example where a Friday switch was still possible for £10. So definitely based on peak demand (or therefore lack of).

I've just checked for tomorrow and 7:30 to 7:04 is £91.20, same for anything earlier. I know the 'Flying Scotsman' service will be 1/3 full at best, so it's a missed opportunity for them to make a small additional portion of revenue.

Not meaning to make this a "woe is me" post but the odd time I've stumped up for a ticket for the 7:04, it's usually been cancelled. So just going to stick to the 7:30 from now on and work from the train for the extra hour the journey takes.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
I've not tried for a first class upgrade for years, what kind of price are they landing at? Still about £30-40?

They did come back to me with quite a detailed reply, and showed an example where a Friday switch was still possible for £10. So definitely based on peak demand (or therefore lack of).

I've just checked for tomorrow and 7:30 to 7:04 is £91.20, same for anything earlier. I know the 'Flying Scotsman' service will be 1/3 full at best, so it's a missed opportunity for them to make a small additional portion of revenue.

Not meaning to make this a "woe is me" post but the odd time I've stumped up for a ticket for the 7:04, it's usually been cancelled. So just going to stick to the 7:30 from now on and work from the train for the extra hour the journey takes.
I use the 0704 once a week at least and always plan on being able to catch the 0630 if necessary.

mangyiscute

Established Member

Yeah I'm still very sceptical about whether it actually makes you bid against real people or just artificially inflates the price etc - with the £3 fee now as well you're almost always paying £15 minimum, and that's on the real quiet trains that basically no one takes (eg the 0706 from London to York), in which case I'm happy to go in standard cause you still easily get a 2 seater or a table to yourself. On a busy train where you'd want the upgrade it'll usually be £30 minimum which is too much for me.

Bossworld

I use the 0704 once a week at least and always plan on being able to catch the 0630 if necessary.
I'm further out into North Tyneside than you so realistically, 06:55 is the first one I can get if using the Metro to get to Central.

LNER have made it clear before that the 07:04 is the fall guy when there are issues or delays - most people booked on the 07:04 are likely to be at the station in time for the 06:55 and you'll "only" be 22 minutes late arriving, so no delay repay due. (Well, assuming my understanding of the rules is correct).

If you end up on the 07:30 with a cancelled 07:04 ticket, it's practically a guaranteed 100% delay repay claim. Albeit you're an extra hour late for work.

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's phenomenal that NCL <> KGX is roughly 3 hours, it's just been a headache as of late.

Tomorrow's change fee (07:30 to 07:04) would be £44, so still not worth it, I'll stick with the 07:30

Last edited:

Failed Unit

Established Member
I actually refuse to use Seat frog now, The £3 usage fee was bad enough. But on one occasion I bid for a journey and won it before the auction had closed. (A day trip). The journey north was cancelled so it wasn’t worth me making the trip. LNER refunded the ticket ad the journey wasn’t made. Seatfrog refused, as the train I was booked on ran. The didn’t respond to emails which the suggest is why the usage fee was applied. So now I don‘t even look at them as I view them as a money gouger using the LNER brand, LNER refunded the seatfrog ticket in the end (including the usage fee). But to me it is too risky to use them and I am not paying £3 for a company that doesn‘t add any value and won‘t assist in situations like a cancelled train.

Had the not closed the auction early I would have withdrawn my bid once I knew I couldn’t do the outbound,

Failed Unit

Established Member
You can't withdraw bids once the auction starts.
Surely you should be able to if you know you can't use the train (because of cancellations) - anyway I guess it doesn't matter. I won't use them now anyway - they are as bad as the trianline now to me for poor business practices.

Mark J

The 1st Class upgrades are not a huge saving over buying on the day, especially on Weekend First upgrades.

GWR 1st upgrades at the weekend usually start around £14 (+£3 fee). For XC £4 (+£3 fee).

The weekend 1st prices are £20 (GWR) and £10 (XC).

I recently did a 1st journey from Reading to Birmingham New St using SeatFrog. I paid £8 in the end - a £2 saving.

Also you can get drawn into bidding wars over an upgrade that can be bought cheaper on the day.

I think the auction idea is somewhat flawed.

Seatfrog must have some kind of allocation made available to them, especially as they have an 'upgrade now' option, that is more expensive than an on the day purchase.

Why not just flog x number of tickets at a fixed price, rather than this auction and booking fee nonsense.

They would likely sell more upgrades that way.

Last edited:

ricoblade

The 1st Class upgrades are not a huge saving over buying on the day, especially on Weekend First upgrades.

GWR 1st upgrades at the weekend usually start around £14 (+£3 fee). For XC £4 (+£3 fee).

The weekend 1st prices are £20 (GWR) and £10 (XC).

I recently did a 1st journey from Reading to Birmingham New St using SeatFrog. I paid £8 in the end - a £2 saving.

Also you can get drawn into bidding wars over an upgrade that can be bought cheaper on the day.

I think the auction idea is somewhat flawed.

Seatfrog must have some kind of allocation made available to them, especially as they have an 'upgrade now' option, that is more expensive than an on the day purchase.

Why not just flog x number of tickets at a fixed price, rather than this auction and booking fee nonsense.

They would likely sell more upgrades that way.
I got Retford>London 1st Class Upgrade for £11 a while ago but have not get anything under £30 for London nor Edinburgh trips more recently and have now given up.

I find that if I get a non-busy table in Standard I have enough space, it's either a full table or Airline seats that don't work for me.