• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER Smart Save

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
The info on the app says that "LNER Smart Save is eligible on - Fares for LNER journeys purchased on the LNER website or mobile app"
Why is it that I am looking at a journey on the app which shows a smart save price but the same journey on the website doesn't?
Also, why does the "smart save" price disappear on the app if you decide to mix AP ticket types (eg 1st class out standard class return).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
The info on the app says that "LNER Smart Save is eligible on - Fares for LNER journeys purchased on the LNER website or mobile app"
Why is it that I am looking at a journey on the app which shows a smart save price but the same journey on the website doesn't?
Smart Save isn't actually offered on the website. I'll pass on the comments about the wording on the app.
Also, why does the "smart save" price disappear on the app if you decide to mix AP ticket types (eg 1st class out standard class return).
I guess it struggles to cope with that, although I can't see why it would. Again, I'll pass it on.

johntea

Established Member
Can ‘Smart Save’ be promoted on say a TVM or does it just sort of rely on people assuming to use the LNER app?

I got slightly caught out on Saturday morning due to a family emergency meaning I had to catch the 05:55 Kings Cross to Leeds and just bought a £67 super off peak single from a TVM as the advance on there was showing £65 (also I had some spare cash in my wallet hence not initially thinking of checking the LNER app)

I later did check the LNER app and could have probably saved over 50% on the fare depending on how late before departure they remain available (and used/earned LNER Perks which I forgot about too!)

Probably just my tiredness and state of mind at time more than anything else though

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Can ‘Smart Save’ be promoted on say a TVM or does it just sort of rely on people assuming to use the LNER app?

I got slightly caught out on Saturday morning due to a family emergency meaning I had to catch the 05:55 Kings Cross to Leeds and just bought a £67 super off peak single from a TVM as the advance on there was showing £65 (also I had some spare cash in my wallet hence not initially thinking of checking the LNER app)

I later did check the LNER app and could have probably saved over 50% on the fare depending on how late before departure they remain available (and used/earned LNER Perks which I forgot about too!)

Probably just my tiredness and state of mind at time more than anything else though
No, the mechanism behind it is far too complex to be handled on a TVM.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

If you used the forums booking site, you wouldn't be caught out ;)

Alex365Dash

If you used the forums booking site, you wouldn't be caught out ;)
I was about to ask the following question:
If both TrainSplit and LNER offered the same split but LNER didn’t charge a fee, wouldn’t the LNER app be cheaper?
Then thought I should probably actually check the difference with tomorrow’s (03/04/23) 05:55 KGX-LDS only to find that the Smart Save price on LNER is £84.40 whilst TrainSplit’s price is £69.25, including a share of saving fee of £8.45 - so in fact, in this case, TrainSplit is still cheaper due to it finding better splits than LNER does!

For completeness, Trainline’s SplitSave fare is £94.79 (£92.80 + £1.99 booking fee) and the fare without splitting is £117.10.

KGX - London King’s Cross
LDS - Leeds

Adam Williams

Established Member
TrainSplit is still cheaper due to it finding better splits than LNER does!
This can often be case compared to a lot of other, more primitive split-ticketing implementations offered by other retailers (Trainpal, Trainline's SplitSave, Atomised etc). It pays to shop around sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.