• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LNER to London Liverpool Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

mildertduck

Hi all,

Was the LNER service 5Z12 into London Liverpool Street last night that's showing on RTT a genuine service, or an anomaly? If so, was this just routine route learning or is there a planned diversion that way at some point soonish?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Hi all,

Was the LNER service 5Z12 into London Liverpool Street last night that's showing on RTT a genuine service, or an anomaly? If so, was this just routine route learning or is there a planned diversion that way at some point soonish?
Genuine test train/route proving for potential future diversions when the route is closed south of Hitchin.

800201 was the unit.

dk1

Veteran Member
I recall Hull Trains using Liverpool Street for diversions in the early days. Made easier by their drivers being based there and just needing route conductors Peterborough via Ely to Hackney.

Last edited:

I can recall being amazed to see an HST at Liverpool Street around 5pm one weekday afternoon in the mid 1980s. Does anyone else remember this? Unfortunately I can't find my notes of this surprise sighting.

greyman42

Established Member
Hi all,

What time was this, i cannot find it?

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That'd be a little 'friendlier' than kicking everyone out at St Neots for buses to Bedford. Plus, I can't imagine it'd be anything more than 1tph (as is usually the case with Cambridge diversions), with everything else (i.e Leeds and ECML semi-fasts) needing a change at Peterborough.

Established Member
I did wonder if those class 47 services from Peterborough earlier in the year would lead to this train of thought

dk1

Veteran Member
It’s a very long way round but obviously beats transferring to buses for a lengthy detour to the MML. Only problem with using the WAML is when Stansted Express is running its full 15min frequency as is gradually being restored paths are few & far between on what can be quite a bottleneck now.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I did wonder if those class 47 services from Peterborough earlier in the year would lead to this train of thought
Those went via Ely though. The test only appears to have been between Finsbury Park and Liverpool Street.

Established Member
It’s been an aspiration for about 2 years to get an Azuma into Liverpool Street, but Covid and other issues prevented it.

The 47s were purely a NWR event, as both West and East coast lines were shut for engineering, the trains were purely a way for them to say they kept a route open.

Those went via Ely though. The test only appears to have been between Finsbury Park and Liverpool Street.
The testing was purely at Liverpool Street, the unit came ecs of Bounds Green, then it became a Finsbury Park to Liverpool Street.
It was checking platform height and distance from train at the station.

Whistler40145

Established Member
It’s been an aspiration for about 2 years to get an Azuma into Liverpool Street, but Covid and other issues prevented it.

The 47s were purely a NWR event, as both West and East coast lines were shut for engineering, the trains were purely a way for them to say they kept a route open.

The testing was purely at Liverpool Street, the unit came ecs of Bounds Green, then it became a Finsbury Park to Liverpool Street.
It was checking platform height and distance from train at the station.
Given the route taken, did the Azuma work off the OHLE?

Status
Not open for further replies.