• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read on many job descriptions and also on this forum that if you're not living up to an hour from the station, they will decline you straight away.
The person I am assisting in finding a job in the rail industry works in x area but needs to move to y area for several reasons including supporting an elderly relative. They have immediate family living in the other area.
I have seen a tiny amount of job applications asking if willing to relocate, so they are not a problem.
are they allowed to put the relative's address? I'm assuming no but they would be able to move there immediately, however would need a guarantee of a job so they can contribute towards bills immediately.
Is there any other way of making them know the applicant can move immediately?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
They could try, but anecdotally I’ve seen that some companies check the electoral roll to make sure the address you’re providing is the address you currently live at, so they may question why the applicant has put x address but they’re down as y address on the electoral roll.

TheAnswer89

People can own more than one property in this country. You can put an address that you can move before the start of your course. I don't see any problem with that nor HR will.

Driver2B

TOCs are, quite rightfully, wary of people claiming that they will relocate, as many will not a the last minute, leaving training courses with unfilled places. Why would they trust that somebody would move to a different region which they have no connection with? However, if the person you are assisting has a clear connection with the area, and has relative with whom they could live, I believe the situation could be different.

Although I live in London, I applied to a TOC for a vacancy in my home town to increase my chances of getting a driver job.

As I did not live in this city (and had already applied for a sister company with the address I did live at), I e-mailed the TOC and explained that I did not currently live in that city, but both of my parents did (separately). I explained that I had the financial means of buying a property there, and in the meantime, I had two parents who were willing to allow me to live with them. I provided the TOC with the names and addresses of both of my parents for openness.

I initially did not receive an e-mail response, but on chasing it, I received a response saying that they were completely satisfied with the above situation and would treat me as living within 60 minutes of depot as both of my parents' addresses certainly were.

As it turned out, I got a job with another TOC.

Network Rail and some contractors may work the same way?

I think assuring the company that you readily have accommodation, and you have family in the area puts you in a very different position than a person who says that they're willing to move anywhere and away from all friends and family for the job.

Please do keep us updated on the outcome as it will interest other forum users. Thank you.

Good luck to the person you are asisting!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They could try, but anecdotally I’ve seen that some companies check the electoral roll to make sure the address you’re providing is the address you currently live at, so they may question why the applicant has put x address but they’re down as y address on the electoral roll.

Railway companies wouldn't have access to such data so easily. Plus not everyone can be registered for nationality and you can be registered in two places anyway. And whilst its technically against the law not to be registered, many people (especially young people) aren't. Anyone can check the "open register", but you can opt-out of it easily and many have. So I don't buy that anecdote.

As for the moving, yes many do promise it and that can cause problems. This might be an example where a cover letter could be useful if worded correctly.

Carl98k

I was told at interview that they don’t like doing this as they’ve had drivers move for the role, but as soon as they’re qualified they moan about not being at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.