• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco Movement from Southall to Swanage 18th oct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VEP3417

well...that will be sight to see 8-)8-)

wonder if its being towed/accompanied down or under its own steam as a couple of locos have gone down just with a barrier coach before

MiNi

Who knows,could be towed by a 47 or 2. Or towed to Salisbury for the steam forward,time will tell.

bishdunster

Well i dont think that the Scotsman and a support coach will constitute a trailing load of 715 tons !!!:rolleyes:

_toommm_

Established Member
Well i dont think that the Scotsman and a support coach will constitute a trailing load of 715 tons !!!:rolleyes:

It’s just a generic timing load as the Scotsman plus a coach probably doesn’t have one. Trailing load 715 tonnes is used often for OTM/OTP, and they go most places so will have running times for most places.

EDIT: OTM is On-Track Machine, OTP is On-Track Plant.

Last edited:

VEP3417

not everyone knows all the jargon :lol:, you have to be some what able to read/understand all that to work RTT

most light moves or with 1/2 engines and a barrier coach still read 715 tones so it could be confusing if you dont realise its just a generic timing load

zwk500

Veteran Member
Diesel loco (officially class 56) with 715 tonnes at 60 mph is the default Steam timing load, as it has times for most of the country whilst being generally suitable for loaded steam to keep to time. The planner can adjust those times manually if the bid train is much lighter, and there's a good reason to do so, but it won't show that in RTT.

It it a loco, or it is empty coaching stock?
Loco + Support Coach only is still shown as Class 5.

Last edited:

VEP3417

RTT dosnt seem to have updated past sailsbury yet,
(edit it shows no report though sailsbury sal/sy240/sal/east yard and jumped straight to tunnel junction at 7.59

thats the only down side that site sometimes only updates in half an hour or so blocks rather than upto date but ill see if i can catch it

VEP3417

it was tender first, which diddnt make for great photos but still nice to see

Attachments

• DSCF2453.JPG
    DSCF2453.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 98
  • DSCF2454.JPG
    DSCF2454.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 95

VEP3417

yes, thought the same, it must be deemed in so good condition its very unlikely to brake down so dosnt need a back up

Bessie

There's a great video on Twitter of all the school kids at Stourfield Junior school out on their field waving and cheering like crazy as FS steamed by.

Western Sunset

Established Member
There's a great video on Twitter of all the school kids at Stourfield Junior school out on their field waving and cheering like crazy as FS steamed by.
I recall working there for a while. Sitting in the hall, you could always hear (and feel) the Hamworthy stone train passing...

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
According to their web site, "Flying Scotsman will be running on the Swanage Railway for five days from Saturday, 22nd to Wednesday, 26th October." So, I guess that she will be returning on 27th October, but where to and when I've no idea.

341o2

Established Member
Between the 27th of October and 6th November, it will be on static display at Corfe Castle, the last viewing is at 1630.
Given it will then have to be steamed, can't see it leaving before 7th November at the earliest

S2929

Hello (first time poster)
Just saw the news about The Flying SCotsman at Swanage, and wondered how/when it got there, and more importantly its time and route back.
This posting says it moved down on 18 Oct
Did it pass through Basingstoke (shame, I missed it then)?

Anyone know the route and timings on its way back in early November?

Thanks

Update - realtimetrains showed it did indeed pass through Bramley (a few miles from me, and I missed it!) and Basingstoke

Last edited:

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Anyone know the route and timings on its way back in early November?
Probably too early for them to be in the system. Keep an eye for STP paths at Wareham around the dates in question. Guaranteed to go through there so you will be able to see the route it is booked to take from there.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Nothing in the system yet. I'd say it'll leave on either 7th or 8th. As Andrew states above, keep an eye on RTT around the weekend of 5th/6th when it's put into the system.

341o2

Established Member
Any update?

Been informed early Tuesday, but can't find anything on RTT

Last edited:

VEP3417

ive looked on rtt for this week and nothing shows up either unless it will be a last minute path

Status
Not open for further replies.