• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locomotive Services Limited Railtour Programme 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

A number of LSL tours now starting to show as sold out- a very positive sign!

I had every faith in many of the novelty English Electric type itineraries (and the 45 if it materialises or is likely to) but the electric only ones may vary and require marketing more if the aim is to make maximum revenue. There are several destinations in exotic locations that may pop up if there's a desire to maintain variety. It's a case of what the BLS magic wand waving man with orange hair can come up with using the growing diesel fleet to how long a shelf life it has too. BUT there is probably plenty more to come before such anxieties will be a problem.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

And sure enough on my last point I believe at least 3 of the AC hauled ones between North West big cities and Euston in conjunction with the Jubilee have been removed from the INTERCITY website. I've a good degree of faith in most of what's left going ahead, but a donkey is a donkey alas, and the Jubilee trains may have been better off as diners and/or running to Windsor with one or two of the many exotic diesels. Avanti and West Mids Trains run enough, faster services for those routes.

Iskra

Established Member
That's very interesting.

I hope they can rethink some of their pricing; it seems a bit odd that those boarding at the last pick-up station pay the same price as those at the first for half of the tour, on a couple of the trips. I'd be more inclined to join those tours if that was altered.

Apparently the Clansman only ran about 3 carriages full too.

They are still learning, I suppose.

That's very interesting.

I hope they can rethink some of their pricing; it seems a bit odd that those boarding at the last pick-up station pay the same price as those at the first for half of the tour, on a couple of the trips. I'd be more inclined to join those tours if that was altered.

Apparently the Clansman only ran about 3 carriages full too.

They are still learning, I suppose.

90 something was mooted elsewhere BUT the BLS "IC spokesperson" never confirmed or denied that so it was passengers on the train stating that. 2x mk3 FO and an RFM plus DVT would fit that amount of people in, but you'd probably take an extra FO and leave the buffet spare. I guess there is no worry about extra wear and tear or diesel use as its only money, especially operating the diesels in a pair.

I could make suggestions on a few fronts, but it's not my trainset and I doubt they need or want advice. I think the 3 or so missing electric tours WCML to Euston missed plenty of tricks so were inevitable to be the least popular if anything went.

LRV3004

Apparently there is a rumour circulating that the entire tour schedule for 2022 has been suspended? Probably a load of nonsense but is anyone able to clarify?

Iskra

Established Member
Apparently there is a rumour circulating that the entire tour schedule for 2022 has been suspended? Probably a load of nonsense but is anyone able to clarify?
Well only 5 hours ago they were pushing the last few seats on the Torbay Express on Twitter, so seems unlikely. A few of their tours are sold out now, so would seem strange as they are gaining traction. They did remove a few, but I can't see why those still advertised wouldn't run considering they ran the Clansman still with less than 100 onboard.

Where did you hear this?

Iskra

Established Member

Established Member
The whole things there to lose money as a tax offset, so not sure you can read much into that. Maybe Farage and co need a bigger donation this year.

LRV3004

Well only 5 hours ago they were pushing the last few seats on the Torbay Express on Twitter, so seems unlikely. A few of their tours are sold out now, so would seem strange as they are gaining traction. They did remove a few, but I can't see why those still advertised wouldn't run considering they ran the Clansman still with less than 100 onboard.

Where did you hear this?
Heard it second hand from a friend who messaged me. Like I say, probably nonsense! I would imagine all other tours will be OK but I’m disappointed the Staycation Express isn’t running this year!

Sherlock

Unfortunately we're suspending our 2022 services.

Current economic conditions have created the perfect storm of ever rising costs & constrained demand as people tighten their belts during this unprecidented time of uncertainty.

We look forward to seeing you aboard in 2023!

Iskra

Established Member

Unfortunately we're suspending our 2022 services.

Current economic conditions have created the perfect storm of ever rising costs & constrained demand as people tighten their belts during this unprecidented time of uncertainty.

We look forward to seeing you aboard in 2023!
Just to be clear and to avoid any confusion for readers of this thread: this appears to affect the Staycation Express operation only at this point and not LSL Railtours under other brands.

Bessie

It won’t be back in 2023. if you think cost of living squeeze is bad this year wait until energy price rises in October

On Moderation
It won’t be back in 2023. if you think cost of living squeeze is bad this year wait until energy price rises in October
It was loss making in 2020 and 2021. If it can't break even then when international travel was so restricted, then it never will.

Rhydgaled

Established Member
The interiors are largely unchanged from when they were with Greater Anglia, with some perspex screens.

https://inter-city.co.uk/the-train/

I think this slightly overstates the work done.
Which seats are they? I think the only mark 3 first class seats I've used (all declassified at the time) are GWR, EMT full-length (Skegness) and EMT 2+6 (a former Grand Central set if I recall correctly?) the last of which I found quite uncomfortable.

And sure enough on my last point I believe at least 3 of the AC hauled ones between North West big cities and Euston in conjunction with the Jubilee have been removed from the INTERCITY website. I've a good degree of faith in most of what's left going ahead, but a donkey is a donkey alas, and the Jubilee trains may have been better off as diners and/or running to Windsor with one or two of the many exotic diesels. Avanti and West Mids Trains run enough, faster services for those routes.
There doesn't seem to be anything official stating that the electric-hauled Jubilee specials have been cancelled, they just disappeared from the website like they never existed, but are still listed on http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/tours.html without any note to say they are cancelled or postponed. I did hope to go and try and get some photos/video of one of these tours - can anyone confirm whether they are really gone so I know whether I need to rearrange my plans for June?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Which seats are they? I think the only mark 3 first class seats I've used (all declassified at the time) are GWR, EMT full-length (Skegness) and EMT 2+6 (a former Grand Central set if I recall correctly?) the last of which I found quite uncomfortable.
Largely 'Intercity 80' seats

Seen here when with Greater Anglia

Rhydgaled

Established Member

Thanks for the pic, but I don't think I've ever used GA's first class so was hoping if somebody could confirm whether they were the same as EMT's uncomfortable ex Grand Central declassified first class coaches. They certainly look the same, (picture of the EMT ones here, although the caption describes those as IC70 seats rather than IC80). I was thinking of contacting InterCity to ask with a view to whether they would be open to passengers using their train for a one-way trip (despite the fact they only sell return tickets) but if the seats are those uncomfortable ones I won't bother - there's no way I'm paying InterCity's first class fares for that even if I was going to use it both ways.

Iskra

Established Member
Thanks for the pic, but I don't think I've ever used GA's first class so was hoping if somebody could confirm whether they were the same as EMT's uncomfortable ex Grand Central declassified first class coaches. They certainly look the same, (picture of the EMT ones here, although the caption describes those as IC70 seats rather than IC80). I was thinking of contacting InterCity to ask with a view to whether they would be open to passengers using their train for a one-way trip (despite the fact they only sell return tickets) but if the seats are those uncomfortable ones I won't bother - there's no way I'm paying InterCity's first class fares for that even if I was going to use it both ways.
They aren’t the same as ex-GC ones. They are a different type, they seem comfortable enough to me.

fgwrich

Established Member

I'm pleased that I'm not the only one to notice that, and to pick them up on that. I still feel it's rather misleading when they keep claiming that they have "Extensively Refurbished" these Mk3s, despite them only applying some IC Antimacassars over the Greater Anglia seats. Yes, Arlington has modified some of them (fitting IC80s into the former Buffet vehicles) but that's about it. Even the Staycation and Blue Pullman Mk3s still retain bits of FGW / GWR, including the safety information notices (the Staycation set retaining most of it's former GWR interior).

Those IC80s were ok, not the best but not the worst either. Though the recliners were far more temperamental than those fitted to their IC70 cousins. I'm not a fan of them, but nor was I a fan of the IC70s either.

As for the cancellation of this years Staycation, it wont have helped them that most of the rake is due a G Exam either. They may have had them repainted last year, but they still require their overhauls.

90 something was mooted elsewhere BUT the BLS "IC spokesperson" never confirmed or denied that so it was passengers on the train stating that. 2x mk3 FO and an RFM plus DVT would fit that amount of people in, but you'd probably take an extra FO and leave the buffet spare. I guess there is no worry about extra wear and tear or diesel use as its only money, especially operating the diesels in a pair.

I could make suggestions on a few fronts, but it's not my trainset and I doubt they need or want advice. I think the 3 or so missing electric tours WCML to Euston missed plenty of tricks so were inevitable to be the least popular if anything went.

Their latest promotional video was filmed on the "Clansman" and it shows some interior shots of some nice and empty Mk3s. Whether or not this is just because they had a nice and empty Mk3 or two to chose from I don't know, but it's not the first time I've heard these "Intercity" tours running mostly empty. As for the catering offering, I've seen better on Preserved Railways. In all honestly, despite some boasting and glossy promotional material, I cant see this operation lasting into next year.

Last edited:

Suraggu

Actually a kind of repeat of its first passenger working in preservation then way back in March 2007, albeit in reverse order to this tour and in BR blue that time. Although not sure whether the owner classes it as preserved and it certainly had a lengthy mainline return after that. That train was ECS Crewe to Carlisle and the 86 worked to Crewe and back. The train ran to the less exotic Welsh answer to Stranraer with Llandudno Junction, Bangor and Holyhead being the options via 47812 and 815 in multi (one of them should have been the last Freightliner 47/0 working ever and 47150's farewell railtour but it was stood down weeks earlier and subbed with an extra Riviera loco). The Sunday ECS was 47815 due to a fault on the 86. The train should have been 12 blue grey Mk3s launching the Cargo D set but it wasn't fit for traffic so 13 virgin livieried mk2s from Riviera covered. No class 20s though but the train was full (first class was £49 that day with standard class £29 making it one of the cheapest railtours that year).
That was a cracking day out though.

Iskra

Established Member
Timings out for the Ayrliner on the 27th now. A very long day from Crewe, but one that I’m very much looking forward to with some fantastic bits of railway to be covered. Hopefully the nice weather will hold. Possibly 87002 subbing for the advertised 86 which is in the works, but that’s hardly the end of the world.

Crewe-Stranraer

Stanraer-Crewe

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A two hour later arrival at Carlisle does make me wonder what was originally bid and where time has been lost. The original timings would have made the last fast train to London at Carlisle. Now it doesn't even make convenient connections into pre-midnight coaches from the North West for a reasonable overnight to London.

Iskra

Established Member
A two hour later arrival at Carlisle does make me wonder what was originally bid and where time has been lost. The original timings would have made the last fast train to London at Carlisle. Now it doesn't even make convenient connections into pre-midnight coaches from the North West for a reasonable overnight to London.
You would be brave to rely on such connections off a railtour anyway. I’m driving so it makes little difference to me. The times do accentuate the chink in LSL’s armour however, as the breaks are all 30mins which are great for quick photos but very tight for getting any food and LSL’s own onboard catering options are limited compared to those found on other railtours. It’s not a day-ruiner, but it’s just another thing to have to consider.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
The times do accentuate the chink in LSL’s armour however, as the breaks are all 30mins which are great for quick photos but very tight for getting any food and LSL’s own onboard catering options are limited compared to those found on other railtours. It’s not a day-ruiner, but it’s just another thing to have to consider.
The Asda in Girvan isn't far from the station so may be an option for picking up snack food. Clearly there is no time anywhere for a sit down meal. Takeaways would need some planning / ringing ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.