• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos at Crewe Electric

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
Just wondering if there is anyway that all the locos at Crewe electric and diesel can be seen and photographed. I see photos on wnxx.com but I assume that these are from people who work there.

I'm down to two class 90s for sight and I know one of them is there and for sale! I believe there are also 60s and 92s there I require too. Very frustrating! I used to love the days when I was a kid and my dad would take me to places, ask if we could have a look round and it was never a problem providing we had a hi via with us.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Hmmm. My have to see what I can do next time I'm up there then. I'm not gonna trespass that's for sure but would be nice if they could issue permits. I wouldn't (and I'm many others wouldn't) mind paying fo one! Then sign a disclaimer and job done.

gedj2

you'll have to let us know if you get any joy with a permit, I'd love to go and have a look around :)

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Well it'll be a while before I am up that way again but I will post back what I find when it happens!

yummy125

Can someone post any lineside pic's of the loco's stored there. I think it's awful these loco's can be left to rot (sometimes with the cab doors open) while so young in their life. :(

captainbigun

You'll not get in to the ETD without having a business reason to be there. It's also very well secured. The depot is too open and too busy to have visitors. A number of the 90s are well hidden and not easily accessible even when you are on site.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's possible to grab pictures from Crewe - Chester trins, but the foilage is getting a bit in the way these days!

But a high end DSLR with a rapid continuous mode held open while passing the depot should yield at least a few good pictures?

TDK

Established Member
Hmmm. My have to see what I can do next time I'm up there then. I'm not gonna trespass that's for sure but would be nice if they could issue permits. I wouldn't (and I'm many others wouldn't) mind paying fo one! Then sign a disclaimer and job done.

I doubt if you would get a permit, I go in there quite a bit or used to as the 67's have their major exams there, there are quite a lot of locos in there but not any 60's. There are mainly 90's, 92,s, 67's, the postal emu's an 08 and some old shunt locos I think.

Boothby97

Established Member
Crewe EMD
56007 56112 56133
67009 67010 67020 67025
90017 90022 90023 90025 90027 90028 90030 90031 90032 90033 90034 90037 90038 90039 90040 90050
92002 92004 92006 92008 92011 92012 92013 92014 92015 92016 92018 92023 92024 92025 92027 92029 92030 92031 92033 92035 92036 92039 92042
From http://www.wnxx.com/locations/northwest.htm
Other Crewe Depots (LNWR,Diesel and Gresty Bridge also listed)

Actually, could do with going to Crewe Electric to get those Class 92s as I've never seen one before. I have plans to go to Stafford to see a 92 (hopefully) at work on Garston-Dagenham Car train and a 92 on the Ebange-Scunthorpe Steel Train. If you do get a permit to Crewe Electric let me know. But do you think there is any chance of a Crewe Electric Open Day.

Last edited:

Smudger105e

I work for DBS, and there is no way anyone will get an access permit for Crewe, Toton or any other location, to be honest.

DB are in the business of running trains and running their business as safely as possible, and having people wandering around their locations is not something they will entertain. I know some locations now have security walking round sites to prevent thefts, something all railway locations suffer from.

I would not recommend anybody trying to access any railway location without authority, it is trespass if you are there without permission. At the site I work, we have had people taken away by the BTP for being on the site without good cause. DO NOT DO IT! Not worth the risk, trust me.

yummy125

I work for DBS, and there is no way anyone will get an access permit for Crewe, Toton or any other location, to be honest.
QUOTE]

Back in the 80's (no stupid H&S then) I used to visit OOC & Willesden depot's to get loco numbers, cab them etc. Asked the supervisor if it was ok to do so. Great fun. :D

Now-adays you need a telescope with a good lens on to see any action.

lm321412

Health and Safety destroys trauinspotting. I think we are a bit to safe!

Yeah but people would equally complain if DB let people in at their pleasure and somebody ended up underneath a loco for not being careful enough :roll:

It is not worth the hassle for an operator to let us "enthusiasts" onto their business to see trains with them having no idea how safe/sensible we are and what could happen whilst we are on sight.

Imagine all the publicity, Daily Mail would have a field day...

Smudger105e

QUOTE]

Back in the 80's (no stupid H&S then) I used to visit OOC & Willesden depot's to get loco numbers, cab them etc. Asked the supervisor if it was ok to do so. Great fun. :D

Now-adays you need a telescope with a good lens on to see any action.

And I visited depots too, and took people round various depots at which I worked, unfortunately we are in a different century, and a wholly different railway too!

Boothby97

Established Member
Yeah but people would equally complain if DB let people in at their pleasure and somebody ended up underneath a loco for not being careful enough :roll:

It is not worth the hassle for an operator to let us "enthusiasts" onto their business to see trains with them having no idea how safe/sensible we are and what could happen whilst we are on sight.

I agree

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Is it not also the case that the locos are being worked more intensively (so moving, even in the depot, a larger % of the time) and that there are relatively fewer people employed in the depots- so there is greater potential for being at risk, and less people to keep an eye out for tour groups.

So why do DRS hold an open day most years and Freigtliner allow visits to Basford Hall on weekends? do the powers that be think we can't behave ourselves. I am in my late 60's, do you think it was safer 50 years ago when we bunked around steam sheds trying to avoid the foreman or whoever in control I don't think so. Just how many accidents have happened to enthusiast over the years in relation to numbers that have visited depots ??? Nothing has changed but everyone just blames HSE.

gedj2

do Freightliner allow weekends visit to Basford Hall, if so how would one arrange such a visit?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

Cannot blame DB (well it started with EWS) for not wanting us to burden their concience etc. But I would rather die by misadventure than get stabbed by some stupid kid trying to prove to his mates/gang how street cred he is. Welcome to the capital. There is no H&S legislation protecting me from the subhuman life forms in London.

Crossforth

Established Member
do Freightliner allow weekends visit to Basford Hall, if so how would one arrange such a visit?

I'd also like to know :D:D

Cannot blame DB (well it started with EWS) for not wanting us to burden their concience etc. But I would rather die by misadventure than get stabbed by some stupid kid trying to prove to his mates/gang how street cred he is. Welcome to the capital. There is no H&S legislation protecting me from the subhuman life forms in London.

I would definitely agree with that

Last edited:

lm321412

There is no H&S legislation protecting me from the subhuman life forms in London.

Sadly not, walking from Birmingham New Street Station at 2200 is probably far more risky than going round a train depot. But, it will never be looked on like that i'm afraid :roll::cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.