• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Buses Discussion

450.emu

Hi guys, Which specific local areas in London now have a high concentration of electric bus routes?
North London is gradually getting more, with Arriva London due to put some this weekend on the 279 (Waltham Cross - Manor House), and the 243 (Wood Green -Waterloo) getting electrics next year. Go Ahead London have the most, the 184, 230 and 444 are local to me with BYD single and double decks with quite a turn of speed, and a car-like two-tone horn o_O

Enfield Garage had issues charging the new electrics on the 307 so conventional diesels feature on the route at present...

hopefully these new Switch buses for the 377 arrive soon, so the last of the Darts can be ousted from the 318... unless spare Streetlites from the loss of the 450 head north...
this [video of a demonstrator on the 377] meant that there will be Optare MetroCity EVs on the 377. To the best of my knowledge, they [EMN1-4] are still at the factory awaiting delivery

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SECR263

I see what you mean but I suspect it would be one way regardless of the cycle lane, delivery vehicles and buses having difficulty passing on the corner of Katherine Street when it was two way. At least now southbound buses no longer have to negotiate the roundabout outside the police station.
Until it was pointed out to them recently the bus stops isolated by cycle lane were all shown on Live Bus Arrivals as having no service due to some excuse. One bus stop by the flyover designated as a new 468 stop did not have route plate attached. The buses managed Katherine St ok. Cycle lane rarely used at a great inconvenience to buss passengers as mentioned earlier. More elderly people want a convenient bus.

MasterSpenny

I am not sure about how truthful this is, but I thought I might share it as it’s pretty interesting.
Depending on truthful this is, in summary - the 379 is getting Switch MetroCities, and the 58, 277 and D7 are getting double deck Volvo BZLs
Internal Stagecoach notice posted earlier today:

We’ve received delivery of 14 Wright Bus Electroliners for the 199 route (pictured below), and we’re preparing to put them into operation by mid-November. The vehicles are currently at Lea Interchange Garage, and two of them are already being used for driver type training at Catford.

We’re also looking forward to having 34 more of these vehicles arriving with us over the coming weeks, which will begin operating on route 86 early next year. This marks a significant milestone for Stagecoach, as we are the first within the Group to operate this model of vehicle in London.

Several other high-quality vehicles are due to be delivered later this year and in early 2024, these are:

Switch Mobility Metro city vehicles – we already have these models operating on the route 339 from Lea Interchange but they will also be operating on:

Route 379 – Walthamstow Garage - contract starts in March 2024

Route W11– Walthamstow Garage

Volvo BZLE sing deck vehicles –this model is operated elsewhere within Group but these will be the first of this model in Stagecoach London operating on:

Route 276 - Lea Interchange

Volvo BZLE Double deck vehicles – this model is also operated elsewhere within Group but will be another first of this model for us in Stagecoach London operating on:

Route D7 – Ash Grove - contract starts in December 2023

Route 277 - West Ham

Route 58 - Lea Interchange

When we get further information about any of our new vehicles we will be sure to let you all know – next week keep an eye on Blink when we'll be sharing some information on tendering with you all!

Edsmith

Until it was pointed out to them recently the bus stops isolated by cycle lane were all shown on Live Bus Arrivals as having no service due to some excuse. One bus stop by the flyover designated as a new 468 stop did not have route plate attached. The buses managed Katherine St ok. Cycle lane rarely used at a great inconvenience to buss passengers as mentioned earlier. More elderly people want a convenient bus.
It's better than it was before with southbound buses diverted, it's not perfect but it's hardly a catastrophe. I suspect most elderly people have their shopping delivered nowadays which is why Sainsburys in the Whitgift is closing.

TWBG

I am not sure about how truthful this is, but I thought I might share it as it’s pretty interesting.
Depending on truthful this is, in summary - the 379 is getting Switch MetroCities, and the 58, 277 and D7 are getting double deck Volvo BZLs
What about the 242 and 314?? - I believe that the 242 are getting new [Double Decker] Volvo BZLs and the 314 might be getting [Single Decker] 10.4m Volvo BZLs

But I was right about the 379 getting [8.7m] Optare Metrocities because what else are they supposed to order for buses shorter than 9 metres

TheManWho

What about the 242 and 314?? - I believe that the 242 are getting new [Double Decker] Volvo BZLs and the 314 might be getting [Single Decker] 10.4m Volvo BZLs

But I was right about the 379 getting [8.7m] Optare Metrocities because what else are they supposed to order for buses shorter than 9 metres
I guess as the 314 has just been announced an announcement on the vehicles will be made in due course. As you say, I'd assume the 242 will be getting BZLs to match the D7 fleet at Ash Grove

MasterSpenny

Routes 178, 335 and B16 consultation within the Kidbrooke Village area.

I wonder if Transport for London might look to convert route B16 to double deck given how big Kidbrooke Village has been getting (physical observation) - it does see them on occasions (seen by me physically as well)

Kidbrooke Village - proposed changes to bus routes 178, 335 and B16​

We would like to hear your views about a proposal to change parts of bus routes 178, 335 and B16 in Kidbrooke Village, Royal Borough of Greenwich.
On this page you can read more about what is proposed and how this may impact you. You can also view maps, ask questions, give feedback, and find out about other ways to get in touch and take part.

Background​

London’s bus network is our most affordable, accessible, and available form of public transport and offers the main sustainable alternative to cars for those journeys that cannot easily be walked or cycled. It is also London’s most flexible mode of public transport.

We continuously review and adapt the bus network to reflect changing customer needs. This includes responding to serving new homes and emerging new communities such as those in Kidbrooke Village.

Read more about how we are increasing the number of bus journeys by making bus travel better, faster and greener in our Bus action plan(External link).

What is proposed our route by route guide​

112234df2541666ba8ac9a40bb402ce1_proposed-changes-to-routes-178-335-b16-map.jpg
Click here to view a larger image
Our proposals are designed to support the ongoing regeneration of Kidbrooke Village which has seen changes to the local road network and in time will see the closure of Cambert Way to enable the delivery of new housing.
The proposals seek to simplify bus routeings and better serve the station and local amenities on Pegler Square.

The scheme means the bus stops and stand on Ryan Close would no longer be served by buses. This would happen anyway, because a future phase of development will close Cambert Way leading to Ryan Close.

Passengers wishing to access Ryan Close would be provided for at alternative bus stops along the proposed new bus route, with stops on Tudway Road being the closest and within 400 metre walk. Proposed bus stop names are indicative for consultation purposes.

Further information on proposals for routes 178, 335, B16 and impacts on bus stops can be found below.

Equalities Impact Assessment​

We have undertaken an initial Equality Impact Assessment (EqIA) for these proposals. The EqIA identifies and examines in more detail what positive and negative impacts these proposals may have on individuals with protected characteristics together with our equality objectives and how we propose to mitigate any negative impacts.

The EqIA will be kept under review and updated to reflect any relevant new information, including information which comes in as part of the consultation process.

How you can find out more​

We have provided more information to help you respond, and we want this consultation to be accessible to everyone.

You can use the question tool on this page during the consultation period. We will respond your questions as soon as we can.

If you need to translate this page into another language, please use the ‘Select language’ button at the bottom of this page.

Connecting with London's deaf community on our consultations

British Sign Language video and audio versions of the proposals and survey are available.

To further enhance how we engage and consult with London's deaf community we are trialling a British Sign Language (BSL) consultation conversation service for this consultation. This service will allow the TfL consultation lead to have a two-way BSL translated discussion on any aspect of this consultation with a BSL speaker.

To request a BSL consultation conversation please contact us at [email protected] and we will be in contact to arrange this at a convenient time. Following this trial, we will evaluate the service to determine if this is something we are able to offer on other consultations in the future.

Drop-in events

We are holding in-person events where you can hear more about our proposals at Kidbrooke Village Community Hub(External link), 8 Pegler Square, London SE3 9JT on:

• Tuesday 7 November 2023 (14:00 - 20:00)
  • Saturday 11 November 2023 (09:00 - 13:00)
Please come along and let us know your views. If you are unable to attend and would like to discuss the proposals further with us, please get in touch and we can respond to your queries directly.

What happens next​

These proposals are subject to the outcome of our consultation. Once the consultation ends on 26 November 2023, we will spend time considering all the responses we receive and will prepare a consultation report.

The consultation report will help us reach a decision about how bus routes 178, 335 and B16 may change.

A copy of the report will be available to everyone that takes part in the consultation and a copy will be published on our website.

MotCO

Established Member
Hi guys I was wondering what bus routes use both single and double decker buses?
Officially or unofficially?
Unofficially, 246 has seen both single and double deckers. (should be single)
Conversely single deckers have appeared on the 61 (should be double)

MasterSpenny

According to buslistsontheweb.co.uk:
Switch MetroCitiy registrations for route E5
Fleet CodeRegistration
1012YJ73BWA
1013YJ73BWB
1014YJ73BWC
1015YJ73BWD
1016YJ73BWE
1017YJ73BWF
1018YJ73BWG
1019YJ73BWH
1020YJ73BWK
1021YJ73BWL
1022YJ73BWM
1023YJ73BWN
1024YJ73BWO

BJames

Established Member
Enfield Garage had issues charging the new electrics on the 307 so conventional diesels feature on the route at present...
Some electrics still operate but I was surprised to see so many conventional diesels on the route on my travels up to Barnet way the other day, so this makes sense.
hopefully these new Switch buses for the 377 arrive soon, so the last of the Darts can be ousted from the 318... unless spare Streetlites from the loss of the 450 head north...
Spoke to 377 driver last week, they are being told expect next month but there is still a bit of uncertainty.

johncrossley

Established Member
Nobody can say that TfL never listen in consultations! :D Some amendments to the SL2 route were made as a result of consultation feedback.

Following careful consideration of all the feedback we received to the consultation, we have decided to proceed with our proposals but with some adjustments. The SL2 will now serve a new pair of stops in Beckton at the A1020 junction with Armada Way to the west of Gallions Reach Shopping Park. We received feedback during the consultation that residents wanted a connection to this area and the SL2 will now reduce existing journey times for customers and provide a direct route.

PGAT

Established Member
It was also announced that routes 50, 194, 250, 255, 289, 663 and 689 will get new electric vehicles from August 2024. The 289 will convert to full double deck and the 410 will have a full Streetlite operation

MasterSpenny

It was also announced that routes 50, 194, 250, 255, 289, 663 and 689 will get new electric vehicles from August 2024. The 289 will convert to full double deck and the 410 will have a full Streetlite operation
Surprised all of them are going electric when the Enviro 400 City Hybrids from routes 133 and 333 could have been used. Unless they are considering them for somewhere else?

PGAT

Established Member
Surprised all of them are going electric when the Enviro 400 City Hybrids from routes 133 and 333 could have been used. Unless they are considering them for somewhere else?
There are already some on the 50 and the nearby 198

Whiggism

Do we know what will happen to the current enviro 400 and 200s used on the 250 and 410?

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Nobody can say that TfL never listen in consultations! :D Some amendments to the SL2 route were made as a result of consultation feedback.

Unless I've missed something, the only change to the original proposals is an additional pair of new stops in the Beckton area?

MasterSpenny

Ee200 is one of the buses receiving a poppy wrap for this year’s Remembrance. Surely it can’t be more than just this bus getting it this year…
In preparation for Remembrance Day, one of our buses has been specially wrapped to become a "Poppy bus".

Bus Ee200, shown in the images, is a brand new BYD ADL electric bus. Working in partnership with Transport for London, the unique wrap is designed to support the Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal. The livery will remain in place for around one month.

Our Poppy bus, can be seen in service on Route 40. This route is based at Camberwell Garage and serves between Dulwich and Clerkenwell. Ee172, our uniquely wrapped bus honouring the contribution made by Windrush pioneers and descendants, is also on this route.

Ee200 is Go-Ahead London's 445th electric bus. We are pleased to introduce more electric vehicles into our fleet, providing our passengers with green and reliable public transport.

David Cutts, Managing Director, said: "We are proud to have our brand new bus wrapped in support of the Poppy Appeal.

Go-Ahead London support the Royal British Legion and remember the sacrifices made."

We will be sharing more photos of Ee200 with you soon.

We are London's largest bus company and a part of @TheGoAheadGroup , an international provider of passenger transport.

#transportforlondon #zeroemissions #royalbritishlegion #poppyappeal