• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Liverpool St to Great Yarmouth

THLondon

I often travel London Liverpool St to Great Yarmouth and have always been amazed at the large range of fares available.

While playing with Trainsplit, I discovered some amazing bargains. I have a Disabled persons railcard and a London issued Pensioners Freedom Pass. This came up with a fare of £10.70 for May 4th.

To complicate matters, the ticket states the reservation is for the 1201 Greater Anglia from Chelmsford to Norwich. This train also happens to be the same train as the 1130 London Liverpool St to Norwich.

I am very puzzled! Is it OK to board the train at Liverpool St with this ticket?

Thanks!

Attachments

• London - Great Yarmouth.jpg
    London - Great Yarmouth.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Did you get any itinerary for this?
When I test this on our forum's site it shows a separate train from Stratford to Chelmsford (the 1102 ex LST), while travelling directly from Stratford at 1138 costs substantially more. You do not have a "counted place reservation" for the 1138.
On that basis, you could board the 1102 but not the 1130 with that ticket.

THLondon

Please find attached itinerary and thanks.

London Liverpool Street to Great Yarmouth
Departing Saturday, May 4, 2024. 1 adult. Disabled Persons Railcard.
➔ Your journey starts from London Liverpool Street at 10:49, but please arrive in plenty of time.
London Liverpool Street station details. You must bring your Disabled Persons Railcard with you. Failure to do so will mean your tickets are invalid.
➔ Take the tube to Stratford (London)
➔ Board the 11:11 service to Ipswich (Greater Anglia). (G17808 service details)
Ticket used: London Terminals to Great Yarmouth. Seats can't be reserved on this service.
You'll arrive at Chelmsford at 11:36 Leave the train here.
You have a 25 minute wait here. Chelmsford station details.
➔ Board the 12:01 service to Norwich (Greater Anglia). (G17663 service details)
Ticket used: London Terminals to Great Yarmouth. You have reserved a place on this service, but individual seat reservations are not possible.
You'll arrive at Norwich at 13:20 Leave the train here.
You have a 14 minute wait here. Norwich station details.
➔ Board the 13:34 service to Great Yarmouth (Greater Anglia). (G19552 service details) Ticket used: London Terminals to Great Yarmouth. Seats can't be reserved on this service.
You'll arrive at Great Yarmouth at 14:07 Leave the train here.
➔ Your journey ends at Great Yarmouth station. Great Yarmouth station details
Your ticket for your journey
⚠️ You must follow your booked itinerary
❌ Not refundable
✔️ Exchangeable before travel
London Terminals to Great Yarmouth, Advance Single, 1 adult @ £10.75 , Disabled Persons Railcard (ticket restrictions), (1) (2)
Ticket restrictions:
Only valid on booked Greater Anglia services and suitable connecting services.
Interavailable London Underground/DLR route; National Rail tickets valid.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Why shouldn't the OP be able to use the 1130 from London Liverpool Street to Chelmsford? It's the exact same Greater Anglia train that then continues on as their booked 1201 train from Chelmsford onward to Norwich.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You should stick to the itinerary you booked.

Advance tickets are for the booked itinerary; you may take appropriate connecting services for the part not specifically booked, but the policy of the rail industry is that you should not take a 'reservable' service (which in this case means a 'counted place') unless you have a reservation coupon for it, or it's stated in your itinerary.

If you are unhappy with the itinerary, don't book the ticket (or immediately cancel it if you realise just after booking) and book a new ticket with an itinerary you are happy with.

The site has advanced tools, so there should be no problem obtaining a valid itinerary that suits your requirements.

Edit: I have resized & cropped the image; for future reference, there are free websites that can do this for you, such as https://imageresizer.com/crop-image or https://picresize.com/ and many more, as well as various software packages

Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Why shouldn't the OP be able to use the 1130 from London Liverpool Street to Chelmsford? It's the exact same Greater Anglia train that then continues on as their booked 1201 train from Chelmsford onward to Norwich.

Because it's a reservable service and they are not booked to travel on it.

Class800

Established Member
With paper advance tickets, what I have always done is don't bring the itinerary, only bring the ticket and all printed reservation coupons (which may be on the ticket itself or a separate coupon). I always follow everything that's on the printed ticket and coupons. I don't always follow things that are just on the email confirmation. It's always worked for me. I can't make a recommendation, only share my experience. I don't see anything fixed from Liverpool St to Chelmsford on your ticket unless you have a separate coupon.

Haywain

Veteran Member
With paper advance tickets, what I have always done is don't bring the itinerary, only bring the ticket and all printed reservation coupons (which may be on the ticket itself or a separate coupon). I always follow everything that's on the printed ticket and coupons. I don't always follow things that are just on the email confirmation. It's always worked for me. I can't make a recommendation, only share my experience. I don't see anything fixed from Liverpool St to Chelmsford on your ticket unless you have a separate coupon.
That doesn't alter the fact that there would be a relevant reservation if it was a booked train.

sprunt

Established Member
Is it normal for an Advance to be issued from London Terminals? I thought they were always issued from a specific station?

Haywain

Veteran Member
Is it normal for an Advance to be issued from London Terminals? I thought they were always issued from a specific station?
Quite normal, as the itinerary will specify the station.

JBuchananGB

In this case, there is ticket interavailability (GA and LU/TfL) between Liverpool Street and Stratford, so there can surely be no objection at all to the OP taking the 1102 from LST to Chelmsford. And I can't see how, if they took the 11.30 service all the way to Norwich, any RPI looking at that ticket between London and Chelmsford could challenge its validity.
I'm impressed London to Norwich is only 1h50m nowadays. It seems only yesterday when they were trumpeting "Norwich in 2" and only 2 trains a day achieved it. Must be the new rolling stock.

jfollows

Established Member
In this case, there is ticket interavailability (GA and LU/TfL) between Liverpool Street and Stratford, so there can surely be no objection at all to the OP taking the 1102 from LST to Chelmsford. And I can't see how, if they took the 11.30 service all the way to Norwich, any RPI looking at that ticket between London and Chelmsford could challenge its validity.
I'm impressed London to Norwich is only 1h50m nowadays. It seems only yesterday when they were trumpeting "Norwich in 2" and only 2 trains a day achieved it. Must be the new rolling stock.
Wasn’t it “Norwich in 90” as in 90 minutes? Which was only attempted briefly.
EDIT The diesel-hauled 17:30 Liverpool Street-Norwich managed it in 1h55m in 1977, but to be fair most services at that time did take longer than 2 hours.
PS Apologies for the not very good link above. There will be better posts here such as https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/norwich-in-90-abandoned.200291/

Last edited:

JBuchananGB

OK it was Norwich in 90. I'm getting a bit forgetful. So now it takes 110 minutes. Still not bad. Or longer if you have to change at Chelmsford!

THLondon

Hello everyone and thanks for your response to my question.
I decided to go a day early, (tomorrow) and bought a new ticket, this time from Stratford. I'm afraid this one is very dull:
From Stratford to Great Yarmouth, no complications and all for £9, a good price for a 140 mile journey!