• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Tibbs

it has always been the case that weekend first services have limited first class catering you will still be fed in some way but alcohol you will have to purchase
the reason for this is the cheap weekend upgrades which are available---they don't want to give too much away to £10 upgrades

Thanks for that - I'll make sure we have our big meal at lunchtime on Sunday.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HST Power

Established Member
I'll be getting the 1725 Newcastle - Kings Cross this time next week. Will report on the service. I hope the journey is uneventful though as it looks like all hell is breaking loose at Newark this evening!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'd rather have both .....:p

The Hot Meal from Edinburgh and the Sandwiches after Newcastle or York.

I'm usually only travelling as far as York (and back) from KGX. I've only been further twice: once to Newcastle, and once to Edinburgh.

sheff1

Established Member
.. it has always been the case that weekend first services have limited first class catering

weekend first class service has never been as full because first class travel was really designed to meet the needs of business travellers not the leisure traveller

Post privatisation maybe, but certainly not always or never. I well remember full meal services on Saturday day trips to Scotland in the 1970s - breakfast on the way North and dinner on the return.

Last edited:
Post privatisation maybe, but certainly not always or never. I well remember full meal services on Saturday day trips to Scotland in the 1970s - breakfast on the way North and dinner on the return.

you are talking about 40 years ago

I would say we are concerned about todays comfort and services
or would you prefer to go back to the days of 1st 2nd and 3rd class travel

Last edited by a moderator:

sheff1

Established Member
I would prefer if people didn't say always or never when they apparently only mean in 'todays' times.

Last edited:
I would prefer if people didn't say always or never when they apparently only mean in 'todays' times.

i did not realise that my comments on this forum would be compared to rail services/journeys of 40 years ago when I was still in short pants

Last edited by a moderator:

oliMw

I will be travelling on East Coast in First Class from Peterborough to York in a couple of weeks, what can I expect from the service, as I understand it is bacon buttys and hot drinks?

HST Power

Established Member
I will be travelling on East Coast in First Class from Peterborough to York in a couple of weeks, what can I expect from the service, as I understand it is bacon buttys and hot drinks?

Depends, when are you travelling? You should get a bit more than that in the week!

oliMw

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am travelling on a weekend and early morning

Butts

Veteran Member
Depends, when are you travelling? You should get a bit more than that in the week!

From his description it sounds like the "Mid-Morning" Menu - the worst of the lot :cry:

Whoops make that the "limp pair of rolls" - even worse !!!

Last edited:

HST Power

Established Member
From his description it sounds like the "Mid-Morning" Menu - the worst of the lot :cry:

I've never had it - what do you get?

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am travelling on a weekend and early morning

East Coast said:
On weekends and bank holidays, we serve a light continental-style breakfast along with a selection of teas, coffees and soft drinks at your seat

Butts

Veteran Member
I've never had it - what do you get?

Mid Morning weekday is a restricted version of the proper Breakfast Menu - ie bacon sandwich (served until All Day kicks in) ie 0930-1130 roughly.

Weekend Breakfast unless it's changed is "fun sized" ham and cheese rolls:oops:

HST Power

Established Member
Mid Morning weekday is a restricted version of the proper Breakfast Menu - ie bacon sandwich (served until All Day kicks in) ie 0930-1130 roughly.

Weekend Breakfast unless it's changed is "fun sized" ham and cheese rolls:oops:

You're lucky to get that considering most of your tickets barely cost a tenner! ;) :lol:

As you can see I'm never letting this Railcard thing go :p

Butts

Veteran Member
You're lucky to get that considering most of your tickets barely cost a tenner! ;) :lol:

As you can see I'm never letting this Railcard thing go :p

I have to report they are edging nearer to the fifteen pound mark just lately -highway robbery (or should that be railway robbery :lol:).

On a weekend I would only travel on the "all day" for the sarnies, cake and pop not that pitiful breakfast offering.

Essexman

Established Member
I travelled on the Highland Chieftan from Stirling to Inverness this week.

The East Coast timetable says All Day menu but all that was available was Afternoon Tea. Menus for Afternoon Tea were distributed and the staff were adamant that this is the booked service for this train and that I was wrong.

Sandwiches & crisps (plus very nice chocolate cake but this was only provided when I asked) were OK but I'd hoped for something hot.

How can this be an improvement to my last journey on the Chieftan when I'd enjoyed a chef cooked meal at seat travelling through the Highlands?

HST Power

Established Member
My guess is that the All Day was served coming out of London. A switch was then made as the journey continued. I could be wrong.

Speaking of the All Day, has anyone else tried Rotation 4? I had the hot jacket potato yesterday evening, followed by the Lake District sandwiches. The jacket came with salmon and creme fraiche mix.

I was told I couldn't have sandwiches because I had a hot meal already, but as there were very few takers (four people in Coach K maximum) there were still plenty to go round.

I also had the St Clements loaf cake, which was excellent! Tea and two cans of coke were provided.

Train service was the 1725 Newcastle to London King's Cross. I disembarked as Stevenage. I didn't have to eat before I left and I didn't feel hungry when I got home. Seems like an improvement to me!

My only gripe is that the train was a bit dirty.

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 95
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 86

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I travelled on the Highland Chieftan from Stirling to Inverness this week.

The East Coast timetable says All Day menu but all that was available was Afternoon Tea. Menus for Afternoon Tea were distributed and the staff were adamant that this is the booked service for this train and that I was wrong.

Sandwiches & crisps (plus very nice chocolate cake but this was only provided when I asked) were OK but I'd hoped for something hot.

How can this be an improvement to my last journey on the Chieftan when I'd enjoyed a chef cooked meal at seat travelling through the Highlands?

That's a very short Journey though to be fair! Last time I went on the Chieftain I went the full length from London to Inverness. The only time hot food was offered was on departure from London, the rest was all Sandwiches and cake.

Our all-day menu offers exciting twists throughout the day. On selected services you can indulge with an East Coast afternoon tea, of sandwiches and cake.

During the evening you can look forward to a hot meal or sandwiches finished off with a fresh fruit basket.

If you take the above from the EC site, then it could be that the HC is one of the selected services offering afternoon tea, and to be fair they did come round with Sandwiches twice between Edinburgh and Inverness, it doesn't say a hot meal is guaranteed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Speaking of the All Day, has anyone else tried Rotation 4? I had the hot jacket potato yesterday evening, followed by the Lake District sandwiches. The jacket came with salmon and creme fraiche mix.

Looks very tasty indeed, I must try that if I get the chance! :D

Bungle73

On Moderation
It states quite clearly on the EC website, if you look up the timetable, which services are serving which menu, at what time and where from. They have added the Afternoon Tea times too recently.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
It states quite clearly on the EC website, if you look up the timetable, which services are serving which menu, at what time and where from. They have added the Afternoon Tea times too recently.

All good and well, but it's subject to availability! I think too many people go on these trains expecting more than they are likely to get... ;)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
It seems clear on here - All day menu on the 12.00 from KIngs Cross.

http://static.eastcoastcdn.co.uk/cd...les/may2013/mondays-to-fridays-northbound.pdf

And I wouldn't describe Stirling to Inverness as a 'very short journey'. 2 hours 44 minutes.

Yes and the "All day menu" doesn't guarantee a hot meal, if you can show where it says it does then please do. So it is not like the advertised service is not being given.

A comparable journey is York to London, with 2h+ Journey time, these are short Journeys where one would not necessarily expect hot food to be served!

HST Power

Established Member
Looks very tasty indeed, I must try that if I get the chance! :D

It's not really the sort of thing I would eat normally but it was very good. I don't know how full Coaches L & M were but I saw quite a few of them going through from the kitchens.

38Cto15E

From my experiences on the Highland Chieftain, the northbound service serves the All Day menu for Kings Cross and York passengers then reverts to the Afternoon Tea menu until Pitlochry.
The East Coast timetable shows that the All Day menu is available from London until Pitlochry.

The Southbound service is the one listed in the East Coast timetable.

Essexman

Established Member
I've emailed East Coast to ask why the service provided differred from that shown in the timetable.

westv

Established Member
A glass of complimentary red wine can be a way of knowing what bone shakers some EC stock is! :D