• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

voyagerdude220

Established Member
I never thought about that, thanks for the tip IanXC!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm currently on the 09:52 Aberdeen to London Kings Cross, which I joined at Dundee. There aren't any menus on tables,but as we arrived at Leuchars, I was offered either toast or a croissant- The choice reminding me of an earlier suggestion by someone earlier in the thread that I should ask for a toasted croissant. As it happens, I've declined the offer, with the intention of having something from the all day menu later on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SamS

I never thought about that, thanks for the tip IanXC!
I'm currently on the 09:52 Aberdeen to London Kings Cross, which I joined at Dundee. There aren't any menus on tables,but as we arrived at Leuchars, I was offered either toast or a croissant- The choice reminding me of an earlier suggestion by someone earlier in the thread that I should ask for a toasted croissant. As it happens, I've declined the offer, with the intention of having something from the all day menu later on.
If you're making the full journey you should be allowed something from both (if not twice).

When travelling York - Aberadeen and Aberdeen - York at the end of May we were offered breakfast on leaving York, followed by toast later on, then lunch after Edinburgh. On the return we were offered food, and then after Newcastle offered food again (although they had run out of the good stuff by the time they reached us at the far end of coach M - they blamed it on the previous crew not ordering extra).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
...in order to avoid dishonest answers our staff are unable to provide passengers with the full service who have already claimed to be alighting at an earlier stop...…
But surely "dishonest answers" can be avoided in those circumstances by asking to see the ticket. Simple, surely? You showed an All Line Rover. I'd go back to EC and make them try harder.
If you're making the full journey you should be allowed something from both ....
Indeed, any order made on the Aberdeen-Edinburgh 'part' of the journey would effectively be forgotten about on the Edinburgh-London portion of the journey. A "food" option will be offered on both 'parts'.

If the crew changes again at, say, Newcastle or York, then there is the possibility of a third offering.

The potato cake and frittata on the breakfast have been taken off and replaced with an omelette and sliced potatoes as per the previous menu

Chrism20

Established Member
The potato cake and frittata on the breakfast have been taken off and replaced with an omelette and sliced potatoes as per the previous menu

Thank the lord for that. It had to be one of the driest, blandest and most vile things EC has ever put on a plate. The omelette was not great but it was brilliant in comparison to the fritata

dcsprior

Thank the lord for that. It had to be one of the driest, blandest and most vile things EC has ever put on a plate.

I'll second that. The potato cake was something I didn't fancy trying a second time.

When are we ever going to get Black Pudding ? :cry:

Or perhaps haggis, if it was advertised as a Full Scottish.

<self interest>It also has the advantage of having a decent veggie equivalent.</self interest>

mad_rich

1000 NCL-KGX service last week with the 'mid-morning' service.

It was OK, but the portions still feel a bit stingy. Toast was 1 slice. (A round should be two slices. No human being ever eats toast singly!) And I still find the delay between coffee and milk frustrating and unfathomable.

I was served pretty quickly on leaving NCL. The guy sitting two tables away, who paused a moment too long stowing his bags and finding his seat, was not so lucky. He was understandably miffed, and rather incredulous to discover he wasn't allowed a cup of tea till after Darlington because "there's a system. It just doesn't work that".

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
East Coast seem to have stopped giving vouchers out willy nilly lately. It used to be the smallest thing would see you given a £5 RTV at least, but now it's a 'Yeah, we completely (don't) understand your frustration and will (not) seek to ensure our customer service is better next time.'

Anyone would think it was in DafT's interests to see customer satisfaction on the ECML tank just before the shiny new private operator comes in.

Butts

Veteran Member
As does Black Pudding.

Veggie Black Pudding - is that a wind up ? :p
1000 NCL-KGX service last week with the 'mid-morning' service.

It was OK, but the portions still feel a bit stingy. Toast was 1 slice. (A round should be two slices. No human being ever eats toast singly!) And I still find the delay between coffee and milk frustrating and unfathomable.

I was served pretty quickly on leaving NCL. The guy sitting two tables away, who paused a moment too long stowing his bags and finding his seat, was not so lucky. He was understandably miffed, and rather incredulous to discover he wasn't allowed a cup of tea till after Darlington because "there's a system. It just doesn't work that".

Oh no , the "Toast Famine" is still occurring :roll: - never travel on a train with Mid-Morning Menu !!!

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Waitrose do a veggie haggis which is not bad except it falls to bits.

Anyone know what we'll get on the 1032 Stirling to KGX middle of next month?

I'm sorry but vegetarian black pudding or haggis is a contradiction in terms :p

1032 is The Chieftain , so you may get a Tea/Coffee on boarding then The All Day Menu out of Edinburgh. Sometimes I have managed to get a Scotch boarding in Falkirk.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I Travelled on ECML in first class for the first time for a while, KGX - York & Return, northbound 1230 train on Saturday, good selection of sandwiches, cakes, biscuits. The tea & coffee service came around 2 or 3 times. I came back on Tuesday on the 1201 there was no hot food owing to the problems the day before, so it was only sandwiches, but the full drinks service was fine. (I felt so sorry for the people caught up in the chaos on Monday night, must have been awful, seems to be a problem with the overhead wires.)

Last edited:

Mark62

I have had the good fortune to travel first class on EC trains quite a lot recently. The level of service has been excellent, especially their complimentary afternoon tea menu
I am traveling in First Class between Newcastle and Edinburgh midweek in September on the 08.42 from Newcastle returning south on the 18.30 out of Waverley. The timetable shows that breakfast is served as far as Berwick. Is this a full English Breakfast or just rolls? Also, will dinner be served on the 18.30? I haven't traveled on EC trains at dinner time since the restaurant car was withdrawn so I am not sure what will be available. The online menu looks very good.
I shall be taking advantage of afternoon tea again when i travel next week on the 15.10 from Doncaster to Newcastle. Overall I am very impressed with the level of service and quality of food.

Veteran Member
The info is in the PDF timetable on their website, or their timetable booklet.
AFAIK breakfast is the real thing, but full dinner is only served ex London, so it's the all day offer coming back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Indeed, no train departing EDB will offer the Evening Meal.

Mid morning 0956 yrk to kgx was 2x tea/coffee rounds, 1x cold drink round , 1 croissant or toast, and the food option which I chose a bacon roll (bacon not crispy unfortunately)

Was probably worth upgrading if the extra was no more than a fiver, but I was on a Rewards.

1st not full and staff had plenty of time to chat but the 25pound upgrade wasn't available and the guard was very annoyed that someone on the platform had apparently told someone if would be.

Mark62

The only time I have had bad service was on the 10.10 Doncaster to Newcastle. The staff were indifferent to say the least. The bacon roll was OK and as I don't drink tea or coffee i just had a couple bottles of water. I was the only person in my carriage throughout the journey. By contrast I have found the afternoon tea service to be exemplary. One one journey and American lady boarded at Durham. The guard(or whatever designation they have now) personally carried her luggage to her seat. And when the endless procession of food and drink started she was truly amazed.
I used to live in Edinburgh and traveled extensively on the East Coast prior to renationalisation. The service in first class was good then, but from what I have experienced, it is even better now. I feel it is very important for long distance travel in the UK to offer the option of a premium service such as EC trains. Their trains have plenty of carriages so they can easily accommodate this level of service.
I have also traveled quite a few times from Newcastle to Derby using cross country first class. Their service pales at the side of EC. Every train I have caught has had only four cars in total. The underfloor engines are noisy by comparison and the service in first class is virtually non existent. Apart from one journey last week, the first class has been virtually empty throughout.
It will be interesting to see what the level of service is like on EC north of Newcastle. I remember when traveling a few years ago that these services were very lightly loaded between Newcastle and Edinburgh in first class.
Hopefully we will get the full English Breakfast on the 08.42 out of Newcastle.
I always look forward to traveling with EC as the first class is spacious and comfortable. A last remnant of how travel used to be and still should be?

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The only time I have had bad service was on the 10.10 Doncaster to Newcastle. The staff were indifferent to say the least.
At that time, I suspect a London crew. Some of them are downright rude and must have both lied on their CV and done some acting when it came to their interview.

Some of the London crews are great; they're not all bad. But there are enough bad ones to put me off ever having to endure them again if I can possibly avoid it... which I usually can!

dave55uk

In four weeks time, I'm going to Newcastle from Stevenage (and back) in First Class. On the ticket envelope, it says free drinks and food. Does the food bit apply to a Saturday, which is when I'll be travelling?

Marton

Food, yes. But just sandwiches in bags. Alcohol, no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kite159

Veteran Member
Silly question, but what time of day on the Friday (I assume) does the next week's worth of East Coast tickets normally go on sale?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I normally see them around 10-11am, but I don't refresh all that often as I'm working at that time, so it could be they're often around for a while before I see them

Have they changed to Friday? They used to come out on a Thurday morning.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes it changed to Fridays a whole back.

kite - you can sign up for an alert

Kite159

Veteran Member
Yes it changed to Fridays a whole back.

kite - you can sign up for an alert

I have done, hopefully the email won't be delayed as the Friday afternoon/evening tickets seem to be quite rare, worst case I get on the 4:30 "All-day" menu train, but the evening meal will probably have to wait until the ALR next year

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Two trips today.

On the 0827 Darlington to London had the full breakfast which was very nice. Bacon was nice, as was the sausage. Some on here will be pleased to note that the toast came round after the breakfast had been served. Butts will be pleased to hear that two pieces of toast were given upon request by your roving correspondent.

Then the 1819 London to Darlington. Full evening meal service with sea trout, cheesy potatoes, broccoli, couple of salad leaves and celeriac remolade (whatever the hell that is!). Very tasty and filling and the fish was both flavourful and really moist and flakey. Cheese board a little lacklustre but tasty nonetheless (though the celery being diced was an odd choice I thought). The other option was vanilla panna cotta with berry compote and I am informed it was very nice.

All in all both journeys were really good and continuing to demonstrate that when East Coast deliver their first class service is top notch it's just that the service can still be prone to inconsistency (though this seems to have improved over the last twelve months in my opinion).