• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

38Cto15E

Regarding FGW travelling chef, IMHO the menu is very limited, OK if you like Omelettes.

I also think that East Coast should have a better food service on the Inverness and Aberdeen services, and arguably the Edinburghs also.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's not a restaurant but I wouldn't say it was limited...

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=1124

There's a fairly reasonable selection there in my view.

Just looked at the link - seems quite good - have you tried it ?

Reminds me of a Little Chef Menu.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Regarding FGW travelling chef, IMHO the menu is very limited, OK if you like Omelettes.

I also think that East Coast should have a better food service on the Inverness and Aberdeen services, and arguably the Edinburghs also.

I agree with your second point - I'm suprised Alex Salmond has not jumped on the b/w it looks like discrimination or a 2nd class service up here. :oops:

williamn

I'm currently on a train from Quebec to Montreal (3hrs, 20mins) in Canada, and here's how the first class service works here:

On departure, snacks and an aperitif offered

Menus passed around and orders taken. I note they have a pre printed card so they can take orders and deliver the right food to the right seat.

Hot towels are passed around

Meal tray arrives, it's a kinda airline thing, but not too bad, though cold items overly chilled. Wine offered.

Hot main course arrives, wine offered again

Pudding and coffee / tea

A digestif to finish

Have to say I was very impressed, although it's a shame not to have a freshly cooked meal. Service was excellent, drinks plentiful, and only £20 more than standard. I've not used the East Coast service yet but it doesn't sound like it would live up to this.

djkenrob

Williamn, I have done both, the Via Rail trip you have described and our miserable East Coast offering. They are worlds apart, stay in Canada if you can and enjoy proper service and value for money.

By the way, you may know this already but the Renaissance Cars that route uses were the original coaches built for the Channel Tunnel Nightstar service that never happened. (sorry off topic I know).

Off now to think about another vacation in Canada...........:)
djkenrob

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Until just last winter, the East Coast Restaurants' staff would offer hot towels to everyone dining after their meal, handed out with silver tongs and a smile. That was after going round with the After Eight mints and before taking payment.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
They also used to give them out on Eurostar (I forget which class) before they played about with them last year.

Butts

Veteran Member
Catering report Edinburgh to Aberdeen 14th October and back today Monday 17th October.

Got the 1027 up - Coffee just after leaving Edinburgh followed by sandwiches (offered four) and anything else from trolley - cakes, fruit , crisps etc.

Shortly after Drinks Run asked for cider and scotch - given with no quibble.

After Dundee Coffee and Biscuits - no further booze run.

Return journey same as outward on leaving Aberdeen and Dundee . Unfortunately signalling problems meant after Dundee train diverted via Perth and Stirling adding half an hour to journey :oops:

marks87

Established Member
Return journey same as outward on leaving Aberdeen and Dundee . Unfortunately signalling problems meant after Dundee train diverted via Perth and Stirling adding half an hour to journey :oops:
Wish I'd known about this; a 5 minute walk from my office and I can see the Dundee-Perth line and it's always good to watch an HST heading along there.

Butts

Veteran Member
Wish I'd known about this; a 5 minute walk from my office and I can see the Dundee-Perth line and it's always good to watch an HST heading along there.

It's not so good if your on the blooming thing - it was the 1816 from Aberdeen.

Worst thing was due to the diversion it went through Falkirk where I was travelling back to from Edinburgh and I had to "grin and bear it" - if it had stopped at Stirling it would have been a 10 min hop !!! as well :oops:

One good thing for the passengers going to Leuchars Markinch and Inverkeithing they laid on taxis from Dundee due to their stations being bypassed as a result of the diversion.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah...I'd assumed it was the 14.50. I forgot there was a later departure that went to Leeds.

Yes it was going to Leeds - suspect the next "catering run " would have been when it left Edinburgh.

I was happy with what I got for my £13.35 each way (1st Adv) with railcard.

Although I booked it well in advance both legs of the journey were available at this price THE DAY BEFORE I travelled.

1st Class was empty on both services :p

graham43404

Just had the nicest meal I have ever had on a train. On the 18:16 from Aberdeen to Leeds and had Brie and Cranberry wellington with mixed leaf salad. The quality was superb as has been the service so far.

Jeremy B

I had that cranberry thing last Friday & found it very strange to say the least - it had what appeared to be spinach in marbled layers but still enjoyed it.

graham43404

A very nice cheese ploughmans sandwich from a very cheery crew who got on at Edinburgh. No complaints at all about the service and quality on this train.

a good off

Trip report. First Class, 1S15 King's Cross - Inverness.

Tea and coffee were served about 5 mins into the journey. A glass of red wine was provided and food orders were taken about 10 mins later with the choice of onion bahji or egg and bacon sandwiches. The other options were Caeser Salad and Vegetarian shepards pie which was very nice.

The catering is more than adequate for lunch but if I was being served it as an evening meal then I would want something more substantial.

The only downside is one member of staff had a really impatient, sarcastic and surly attitude. The other two members of staff were brilliant.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
One hour left now. After misery guts (not my wife) left the train the atmosphere improved and the staff have been very attentive and great in every way. There has been regular tea and coffee rounds and the drinks trolley has been very frequent. Tea consisted of cream cheese and onion bahji sandwiches plus a slice of cake or jam and cream scone.

On the whole, thumbs up and thanks to the train crew for looking after us so well apart from the one sour individual from earlier.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Trip report. . . .
Thanks for this. Could you just clarify two points from your report, please?

Did your First Class hosts change personnel once (at Edin) or twice (Newcastle & Edin)? and
can you tell us how well, after 8 hours of normal daytime, you felt you had eaten? (Did you run into one of Invernesses' restaurants, Tesco, take-aways or home cooking?).
I'd genuinely like to know if you left EC after 8 hours (plus connection times and waiting times at both ends) feeling that you had eaten adequately, inadequately or excessively - thanks.

a good off

Thanks for this. Could you just clarify two points from your report, please?

Did your First Class hosts change personnel once (at Edin) or twice (Newcastle & Edin)? and
can you tell us how well, after 8 hours of normal daytime, you felt you had eaten? (Did you run into one of Invernesses' restaurants, Tesco, take-aways or home cooking?).
I'd genuinely like to know if you left EC after 8 hours (plus connection times and waiting times at both ends) feeling that you had eaten adequately, inadequately or excessively - thanks.

I believe that they changed twice at both Newcastle and Edinburgh. We don't remember seeing sour individual after Newcastle.

When we arrived at Inverness we weren't exactly starving but an hour later the six of us needed to go out for a hot meal. They could have definitely done with some extra hot and more substantial options.

EltonRoad

Tea consisted of cream cheese and onion bahji sandwiches

Wow! That's unusual. Were they nice? :)

From what you've said it doesn't sound enough for an 8-hour journey though. Sandwiches or salad for both lunch and supper is not enough on a train that used to offer at-seat dining until Aviemore.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
onion bahji sandwiches??

Are they trying to reduce food waste by using up left overs?

Left over onion bhajis? Has there been some drastic improvement to the menu to mean there are bhajis left over?!