• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Why not transfer to the Anglo-Scots route? See the world! Well, Scotland anyway :lol:;)

I do get up there now and again ainsworth, the 0710 off Leeds, the 0615 off Doncaster and the 2100 off Edinburgh are Leeds crews, just dont do it very often. Much prefer Edinburgh to KX.

Butts

Veteran Member
I do get up there now and again ainsworth, the 0710 off Leeds, the 0615 off Doncaster and the 2100 off Edinburgh are Leeds crews, just dont do it very often. Much prefer Edinburgh to KX.

Things have been fine on my last 3 Return Journeys....can you get them to introduce Black Pudding with the Breakfast , as I said before the omellete is a vast improvement over the scrambled egg and the rosti over the potato scone,but BP would be the icing on the cake.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Oh, dear.
Leeds crews are the best
And I'd been looking forward to a peaceful holiday period, imbued with a spirt of goodwill between us all; but now, that hope has been destroyed by that outrageous and unfounded insult.

There will be words spoken between our Newcastle and Leeds friends!
Skillets and garlic-presses at forty paces!
And personal insults at a much closer range.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There should be a hot option of some description (it could be fish and chips like pictured elsewhere on this thread) and that's normally quite tasty. If you get plenty of other sundry items like crisps, biscuits and so on (and sandwiches later on in the journey) it's quite filling in the end. You can find the menus here and you'll be wanting to look at the All Day section of the menu. Unfortunately I'm not sure what rotation we're on but you could probably work it out as they change weekly.

GNER 91128

There should be a hot option of some description (it could be fish and chips like pictured elsewhere on this thread) and that's normally quite tasty. If you get plenty of other sundry items like crisps, biscuits and so on (and sandwiches later on in the journey) it's quite filling in the end. You can find the menus here and you'll be wanting to look at the All Day section of the menu. Unfortunately I'm not sure what rotation we're on but you could probably work it out as they change weekly.

That sounds good, thanks for the reply! I'm not travelling until Feb but like to get a good idea early.

I've been on the 12:00 and 14:00 services and that was all sandwiches and stuff (I don't eat sandwhiches!) But had plenty tea and biscuits and 4 glasses of wine!

VauxhallandI

Established Member
I've just booked a First Class ticket from Kings Cross to Edinburgh.

07.00 Sat 9th March

Is it coffee and biscuits only at the weekend?

telstarbox

Established Member
It's a bit better:

On weekends and bank holidays, passengers are served a breakfast roll first thing [this includes your train] and thereafter a choice of sandwiches, crisps and cake. Alcoholic drinks and hot food are available to purchase from our CafeBAR.

The breakfast rolls are:

A twinpack consisting of a ham and cheese roll and a free-range egg mayonnaise roll, or
A twinpack consisting of an Emmental cheese and tomato roll and a free-range egg mayonnaise roll.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/on-board-our-trains/food1/weekend-service/

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Thanks, I will give that breakfast roll a welcome home.

If NR ever release the engineering info for the Sunday, I imagine it will just be the sandwiches for a lunchtime return departure?

Welshman

Established Member
Things have been fine on my last 3 Return Journeys....can you get them to introduce Black Pudding with the Breakfast , as I said before the omellete is a vast improvement over the scrambled egg and the rosti over the potato scone,but BP would be the icing on the cake.

If black pudding is the icing on your cake, I don't want to know what's in your trifle! ;) ;)

Butts

Veteran Member
Thanks, I will give that breakfast roll a welcome home.

If NR ever release the engineering info for the Sunday, I imagine it will just be the sandwiches for a lunchtime return departure?

The "All Day Offer" is a lot better than the Breakfast at weekends - ie pre-packed decent sized sarnies.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A triple scotch? <D

As there is no Brandy on The Trolley - that will have to suffice !!!

Blindtraveler

Established Member
reporting fully functioning fully stocked fridges on the 07:52 off Aberdeen, the 10:30 from EDB WHICH UNUSUALLY TODAY IS NOT FAST TO london from york. I'm in standard and whilst the complimentarry ham n chees rolls were being consumed in FC I had my first breakfast Panini of the year!
BTW The point of that post was the abnormalitty of a working fridge on the morning Scottish HSTs!

calc7

Established Member
Funny how they can manage it on a weekend, where the "breakfast" is barely worth getting out of bed for! :lol:

Butts

Veteran Member
Funny how they can manage it on a weekend, where the "breakfast" is barely worth getting out of bed for! :lol:

If you stay overnight in Inverness or Aberdeen always have the Breakfast in the Hotel if offered when travelling South on the HC or it's Aberdeen equivalent.

That way if the fridges are malfunctioning you will not be left hungry :lol:

cf111

Established Member
On the Chieftain at the moment, not long left Stirling.

Full breakfast very nice, tea and coffee offered after every stop, plenty juice runs and just been offered shortbread by the chef himself! Crew a credit to EC I must say.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thank you very much for the update cf111. I've booked a ticket from Inverness to London Kings Cross on a weekday in a few weeks time, hoping to be offered the Full English.

cf111

Established Member
Not a problem! Just departed NCL, one hot and one cold drinks run since EDB with coffee offered just after departure from Geordie land again. Had fish and chips for lunch with red wine, small portion but nice all the same.

I think I hear the trolley again... ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Haha very good!
Just out of interest, does anyone know which 'menu rotation' is currently being served this week?

I've noticed EC have all four listed on the website, so I'd be interested to know which one I *should* be offered on my journey.

Thanks.

Butts

Veteran Member
Not a problem! Just departed NCL, one hot and one cold drinks run since EDB with coffee offered just after departure from Geordie land again. Had fish and chips for lunch with red wine, small portion but nice all the same.

I think I hear the trolley again... ;)

You have been blessed Breakfast and Lunch with no hiccups .....:D

Were there further runs before you got to "the smoke" ?

matlong30

Hi All,

Just a quick question - I asked very nicely for a second drink just before Christmas, as EC seem to be sticking to "One drink per drink run per major station" - which is what one of the managers told me subsequently is the policy.

This means only 3 or 4 beers in the 5 hours between Edinburgh and London, and i was feeling a bit thirsty - got a rude and very aggressive no from staff...

People here have mentioned an "East Coast Directors forum" or directive or something, whereby you can ask for a second drink where they are available - but what is this, is this something I can quote?

Thanks in advance!

calc7

Established Member
Hi All,

Just a quick question - I asked very nicely for a second drink just before Christmas, as EC seem to be sticking to "One drink per drink run per major station" - which is what one of the managers told me subsequently is the policy.

This means only 3 or 4 beers in the 5 hours between Edinburgh and London, and i was feeling a bit thirsty - got a rude and very aggressive no from staff...

People here have mentioned an "East Coast Directors forum" or directive or something, whereby you can ask for a second drink where they are available - but what is this, is this something I can quote?

Thanks in advance!

I too take personal issue with the stinginess of the East Coast "drinks trolley runs" - I have only had similar issues twice on Virgin in many trips. Perhaps the worst part is the inconsistency - one day you can have a crew who seem to be offloading food and drink onto you; the next you will get bare minimum "rations".

The transcript of one of the Directors' forums is here: http://www.video125.co.uk/forum/discussion/662/east-coast-meet-the-directors-forum/p1

Butts has reported success in the past with fastidious staff by merely stating he attended the Directors' forum and was advised extra alcoholic drinks could be served outside the usual pattern so long as resources permit.

Butts

Veteran Member
I too take personal issue with the stinginess of the East Coast "drinks trolley runs" - I have only had similar issues twice on Virgin in many trips. Perhaps the worst part is the inconsistency - one day you can have a crew who seem to be offloading food and drink onto you; the next you will get bare minimum "rations".

The transcript of one of the Directors' forums is here: http://www.video125.co.uk/forum/discussion/662/east-coast-meet-the-directors-forum/p1

Butts has reported success in the past with fastidious staff by merely stating he attended the Directors' forum and was advised extra alcoholic drinks could be served outside the usual pattern so long as resources permit.

As Calc 7 says the provision of alcohol is largely down to the staff on duty, it tends to go from one extreme to the other - either bucketloads or "one per run". With regard to the EC Directors forum I have invoked it on occasions and they huff and puff and eventually cough up another Scotch.

To my knowledge the EC Directors Forum seems to have come to an end as the last one was many months ago and the scheduled Autumn one never took place.

"Crawling" to the staff particularly the female ones often does the trick :p

Bungle73

On Moderation
To my knowledge the EC Directors Forum seems to have come to an end as the last one was many months ago and the scheduled Autumn one never took place.
Really? That's annoying. I wanted to take them to task over the Lounge Pass confiscation matter.

calc7

Established Member
It was pleasant to receive in the post this morning RTVs for the full cost of my "turkey dinner and gigantic cheeseboard" journey due to a missed connection off the EC train. :)

paulypaul

Just had a nice phone call from East Coast Trains, a gentleman called Neil (I think it might have been their Head of Communications, following my email to Karen Boswell their MD), telling me that the next East Coast Trains Directors' Forum will take place on Tuesday 12 February between noon and 3pm.

Details will appear on their website in due course.