• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

trainophile

Established Member
Currently on the 13.00 out of KX to Waverley this fine Sunday. Not done this journey for a while and I'm on a FC Advance ticket that gave me admission to the FC Lounge at KX - which was disappointing as both coffee m/c s were out of order and food v.limited, but still a place to sit quietly - if you don't count the piped radio music.

Promptly served sandwiches, muffin and crisps and just had second cup of tea as we passed Grantham. It will be interesting to see whether there is a second serving before we get to Edinburgh.

Hope you have the correct ticket - I'm pretty sure today is Saturday! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

basfordlad

Very disappointed with service today, getting of at Newcastle and have only just been offered a cup of tea, feel like I will rush my breakfast, that's if i even see if it

JB1601

First time with the new menus today. Can anyone clarify what involvement James Martin has had - most of the menu seems very familiar? (Unless the sausage roll and black pudding was his idea). Guessing his input was to the evening meal, which they've sensibly kept off the standard menus.

Real shame to see the proper veggie breakfast canned.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Wow I missed that they've done away with any sort of proper veggie breakfast! That's shocking!

Bungle73

On Moderation
On the 18:02 York to KGX atm. Had the mousaka this time (had the other option on the way out). Both lovely, but as above I'm not sure where James Martin's influence is?

The new leather seats are very nice, but they have one down side: lots of crevices for crumbs to collect, which they do.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, the actual menus are much higher quality, and nicer , being glossy card rather than the slips of paper we had before.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes I do rather like the new menu booklets and it does look a bit better than slips of paper cluttering up the place.

applepie2100

I'm on the 1555 from York to Aberdeen which is my first VTEC service since the new menus came in and the service changes came in.

I have to say that having had both the chicken curry and the sausage roll both were really tasty and definitely very enjoyable. The lass sat across from me didn't seem to like the curry when she had it previously (apparently she really hated it!) so maybe there was a bad batch. The banana and maple muffins are certainly tasty although they do seem to feature on the menu rather a lot!

The service order does seem a little bit odd with the tables no longer being fully laid up and the hot drinks coming after the cold and the food. It might just be me but it also feels like there are less hot drinks runs than before.

We'll see what the breakfast service is like on the return on Monday but so far I've not got many complaints!

NottsPhil

The breakfast is pretty good - I thought the black pudding was among the nicest I've had anywhere and the fried egg is obviously better than the flan it replaced.

I was going to try the moussaka on a recent journey but they'd run out, however I was given two of the chicken and bacon wraps (which were really nice) and two sausage rolls (also good) as well as crisps and cake and was stuffed after that lot! In fairness it was a very quiet service so they probably had loads to go round.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's not actually, just a very tasty curry.

(I'm not a fan of spicy food so if it works with me most others will be fine!)
Brilliant, thanks! Is the protein a pretty good size or do you think I'll need to take something else onto the train?

Cheers!

applepie2100

The breakfast is pretty good - I thought the black pudding was among the nicest I've had anywhere and the fried egg is obviously better than the flan it replaced.

I'm now on the 0952 from Aberdeen and travelling as far as York. The breakfast service left me slightly disappointed in the same way that it did when I travelled on the same service a year ago. The same bacon roll is unfortunately still present and appears to be all roll and not much bacon, especially after removing the rather fatty and poorly crisped up parts. For me the West Coast breakfast still has the edge over east, although I will say that the raspberry and gin jam was rather tasty!

We're just going through the second service at the moment having recently departed from Edinburgh. First came the hot food orders followed by the cold drinks trolley then the sandwiches etc. I don't think that we've seen the hot drinks trolley yet. I was slightly annoyed that the person doing the cold drinks seemed to think that as I was only drinking a soft drink that a plastic tumbler was fine, especially when glassware was available and seems to be used most of the time. I'm waiting on my sausage roll arriving so we'll see if it's as nice as the previous one!

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I was slightly annoyed that the person doing the cold drinks seemed to think that as I was only drinking a soft drink that a plastic tumbler was fine, especially when glassware was available and seems to be used most of the time.

I'm not quite sure how they ration the glasses but it does seem to be a very common occurrence that if you ask for a soft drink on a weekday you get given a plastic tumbler.

Chrism20

Established Member
I'm not quite sure how they ration the glasses but it does seem to be a very common occurrence that if you ask for a soft drink on a weekday you get given a plastic tumbler.

There now appears to be more cold drinks served than previously.

No more space in the carts for glasses I guess so the soft drinks go in plastic.

That's the only explanation I can think of for it.

applepie2100

Perhaps they should go for a West Coast style weekday layup then where each seat has its cup, saucer, teaspoon and glass along with non-slip mat. Due to them only using one non-slip mat there were some issues leaving Aberdeen with crockery sliding badly on the tables!

Not being able to fit enough glassware on the carts really isn't an excuse.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The Hop On Board ale was very tasty, and at 4% about the right strength for a journey.

NottsPhil

The timetables on the VTEC website now include shading to show when the offer changes from breakfast to all-day, and also indicate where there is no chef, the most obvious one being the two morning services from Aberdeen. There is a chef on the Chieftain though!