• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London North Eastern Railway (LNER) First Class service

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anon Mouse

Established Member
My phropechy about standard class catering facilities going downhill came true on Wednesday when I travelled Newcastle to Kings Cross and the Trolley only came down once and that the Buffet's till machine was'nt working and every purchase had to be hand written on a recipt book. However the return journey fared much better admittedly with at least 3 trolley trips keeping me in my Gin & Tonics!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Got one of those routine nice 'customer care' emails from EastCoast, saying
Hello Dave,

Thank you for travelling with East Coast. We hope you enjoyed your journey and had a good trip.

If for any reasons things didn't meet your expectations and you want to get in touch with us, please contact us.
Well, it would be rude not to reply, wouldn't it?

So, I wonder if anyone can help me with my reply.
Should I mention the fact that after about 45 minutes, during which there was no catering, no catering PA announcements and not even any visible CSAs / catering crew in First, there was a PA apology that there will be no at seat service?

Should I mention the fact that the entire catering team on-board was just 2 staff for all of 1st and Standard?

Should I ask amcluesent to compose a nice rhyme?

Should I express dissapointment that catering was far short of the advertised offering?

Should I ignore the invitation to comment expecting it to be disregarded?

Or should I just 'get over it' and stop 'having a go' at East Coast on here and stop expecting anything from their widely promoted offering?

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I'm tempted to write them an email too, but I feel that would be a wee bit cheeky as I was on a PRIV and that notorious Newcastle Guard was resonably polite to me! :D

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I'm sure I know who you are referring to!
. . . . that notorious Newcastle Guard was resonably polite to me! :D
To be fair, they're all good people, but like most of us, they get bad days, lousy rotas, unexpected delays, indifferent management, illness*, inexplicable rosters and thousands of rude, stupid, exploitative or abusive passengers - none of which helps. I could never do a Guards' job (and that's without considering the ever-changing shift patterns).

Even the catering crew have to deal with most of those challenges. But when they simply don't have the crew available to work a service, then what ARE they doing wrong?

[* Staff on sick leave does seem to be a particularly acute problem]

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I'm sure I know who you are referring to!To be fair, they're all good people, but like most of us, they get bad days, lousy rotas, unexpected delays, indifferent management, illness, inexplicable rosters and thousands of rude, stupid, exploitative or abusive passengers - none of which helps. I could never do a Guards' job (and that's without considering the ever-changing shift patterns).

Even the catering crew have to deal with most of those challenges. But when they simply don't have the crew available to work a service, then what ARE they doing wrong?

I think anyone knows who I'm on about!

anyway, traincrew (I'm a member of traincrew too) do have a lot to put up with, all of what you have said and a lot more too! I was just a bit miffed that the trolley only came down once on my outward train, a train that was reasonably quiet, with a few empty seats and no standees!

jon0844

Veteran Member
My phropechy about standard class catering facilities going downhill came true on Wednesday when I travelled Newcastle to Kings Cross and the Trolley only came down once and that the Buffet's till machine was'nt working and every purchase had to be hand written on a recipt book.

I doubt anyone in First Class was getting much more. :)

amcluesent

I'm doing PBO-EDB today and in anticipation of FC complementaries just making up a picnic of bacon sarnies, fruit, cans, vino. I'm hoping there will at least be water on board!

EDIT Well I stand corrected. Pulling out of PBO the 'full monty' trolley (for a Saturday!) appeared, the wi-fi works, the power sockets work, there's water in the lavvy. However, the seat recliner mechanism is kaput!

EDIT North of York and trolley again, egg and cress, tiffin, OK etc. Been planty of tea runs too.

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Wednesday 1st Feb - 0800 KGX to EDB
As usual, everything offered on departure from Kings Cross. Full breakfast ordered, the person I was travelling with ordered the salmon and scrambled egg. Food was lovely, the only issue was the drink. My food came somewhere in Cambridgeshire. By this time the coffee and apple and rhubarb juice (which was fantastic, top compliments there) were long gone. On asking for another drink to go with the meal, I was informed the second run is "not until after York". My response of "you're kidding me?!" prompted them to fetch a coffee. You don't ask, you don't get.
Rest of the journey went well enough. FC hostess told me they were on an "Edinburgh week", ie not changing at NCL, so we had one crew all the way through, diminishing chances of a hungry passenger getting more food.

Thursday 2nd Feb - xx30 EDB to KGX
I blank out the exact hour as I'm pretty sure this crew was disobeying management instructions. A clue, though, it was either 1530, 1630, 1730 or 1830, so not the notorious Scone Express. Two drinks runs between EDB and NCL! Food was lovely - my friend had the brie and cranberry wellington. I had initially ordered this but had to swap for the very nice chilli jacket potato when it was presented to me full of cashews (allergic). Drinks straight after NCL, the trolley dolly almost forcing the bloke opposite to take something alcoholic. Funnily enough, he was driving and mentioned to me "they're never this forthcoming with drink, it's usually one beer and that's your lot; what a shame I'm driving tonight". Offer of sandwiches and more cake (from the same crew again) followed after both NCL and YRK. Drinks came again after YRK. After this we were non-stop to a station near London. Lo and behold, the drinks trolley appeared again - pretty sure it wouldn't usually.
Overall - what a fantastic experience. If every one were like that (4 or 5 cold drinks if wanted and the chance to have some hot food followed by a couple of sandwiches later in the journey) they'd have cracked it! Top marks to this crew.

This was my friend's first FC experience. I had warned her of the inconsistency in offerings, and the possibility she may be left hungry/thirsty. She found the outbound slightly disappointing but agreed the return was ten out of ten.

Butts

Veteran Member
Wednesday 1st Feb - 0800 KGX to EDB
As usual, everything offered on departure from Kings Cross. Full breakfast ordered, the person I was travelling with ordered the salmon and scrambled egg. Food was lovely, the only issue was the drink. My food came somewhere in Cambridgeshire. By this time the coffee and apple and rhubarb juice (which was fantastic, top compliments there) were long gone. On asking for another drink to go with the meal, I was informed the second run is "not until after York". My response of "you're kidding me?!" prompted them to fetch a coffee. You don't ask, you don't get.
Rest of the journey went well enough. FC hostess told me they were on an "Edinburgh week", ie not changing at NCL, so we had one crew all the way through, diminishing chances of a hungry passenger getting more food.

Thursday 2nd Feb - xx30 EDB to KGX
I blank out the exact hour as I'm pretty sure this crew was disobeying management instructions. A clue, though, it was either 1530, 1630, 1730 or 1830, so not the notorious Scone Express. Two drinks runs between EDB and NCL! Food was lovely - my friend had the brie and cranberry wellington. I had initially ordered this but had to swap for the very nice chilli jacket potato when it was presented to me full of cashews (allergic). Drinks straight after NCL, the trolley dolly almost forcing the bloke opposite to take something alcoholic. Funnily enough, he was driving and mentioned to me "they're never this forthcoming with drink, it's usually one beer and that's your lot; what a shame I'm driving tonight". Offer of sandwiches and more cake (from the same crew again) followed after both NCL and YRK. Drinks came again after YRK. After this we were non-stop to a station near London. Lo and behold, the drinks trolley appeared again - pretty sure it wouldn't usually.
Overall - what a fantastic experience. If every one were like that (4 or 5 cold drinks if wanted and the chance to have some hot food followed by a couple of sandwiches later in the journey) they'd have cracked it! Top marks to this crew.

This was my friend's first FC experience. I had warned her of the inconsistency in offerings, and the possibility she may be left hungry/thirsty. She found the outbound slightly disappointing but agreed the return was ten out of ten.

On your outward journey how many bits of toast were you offered ? - did you just have one or two.

Second journey sounds almost to good to be true - was the catering director onboard or something :lol: Seriously if the new service was always like your 2nd trip I for one would be delighted and not complain. This is how the new service should be delivered :p

calc7

Established Member
On your outward journey how many bits of toast were you offered ? - did you just have one or two.

Second journey sounds almost to good to be true - was the catering director onboard or something :lol: Seriously if the new service was always like your 2nd trip I for one would be delighted and not complain. This is how the new service should be delivered :p

Toast was on the same trolley as the cold drinks, so was offered on three occasions (ie after departing London, York and Newcastle). Only one slice of toast was served, but the fact it was big wedges of bloomer bread made it appear not too stingy.

Agreed on the second journey - when the bean counters realise that what is really only a marginal cost (ie a couple of drinks and sandwiches) vastly improves the desirability of First, maybe they'll make it policy.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Isn't it sad that the people offering the best service have to be protected, in case the out of touch managers tell them off!

You'd normally hope to pick these out and have them rewarded by management, as they probably did nothing but encourage passengers to travel first class again in the future.

sidmouth

If this becomes the norm then it had only taken EC management 8 months to get their act together! A sad inditement, but I suppose better late than never.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
If this becomes the norm then it had only taken EC management 8 months to get their act together!
But it hasn't (yet. as other recent posts illustrate), and I have to wonder if they ever shall.

In fact, if its taken 8 months, then I struggle to believe that the Company has the will to reach any consistency of service.

Bridge189

Does anyone know why EC staff no longer wear the hats? Bog mistake to drop them in my opinion.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
You should ask the crews for their opinion!

I'm sure you will have noticed that a lot of male Guards and drivers have very short / shaven head hair, and in this sub-zero weather, they are very exposed. A few platform staff have been wearing wooly beanie hats, which don't present any Corporate image, but can help keep temeratures bearable. Its hard to imagine that the Company has removed headwear in winter in response to widespread staff feedback on their headwear.
Or is there some link to the thread that I'm mising? Perhaps the hot towels which disappeared from the on-board catering had been used to warm bald heads?

BTW. I had an excellent suggestion from a driver in response to EC's risk assessment that determined that soup was a hazard and would no longer be served.
Their solution was to make the soup thicker!

amcluesent

EC staff could keep warm by wearing a Yorkshire Pudding filled with warm gravy on their heads. Utility and simplicity of serving to pax, all in one!

amcluesent

OT, but the 17:00 EDB-KGX is like a ice-box in 'K' tonight. One the the staff is wearing a GNER scarf!

Back on topics, EC managed the weekend trolley out of EDB, then another run with a few sarnies left, by DON it was coming down with just crisps and tiffin.

Last edited:

Smoggy

Following last Sunday's bad experience travelling on an ex Edinburgh service, tonight I got an earlier ex Leeds service from Doncaster to Kings Cross and received the completely opposite end of the scale in terms of service.

Withins minutess of boarding, the FC host was around with Coffee, and asked if required any snacks or drinks and quoted what was on offer. I opted for the Ham and Cheese sandwiches with an orange juice, and was delivered them, along with the usual crisps, shortbread, choc orange biscuits and a Strawberry and Yoghurt flapjack!

After Newark I was given more coffee, a can of coke, and the FC host offered another round of sandwiches and snacks, which I declined!
Final round of coffee served after Peterborough, and only then did they start clearing the tables away of all unused items.

Very impressed with the offering this time around!

calc7

Established Member
Thursday 7th Feb, 0730 KGX-NCL
Coffee, cold drinks and toast/croissants served immediately on departure. Order for full breakfast taken. This came just before PBO - luckily more coffee followed on departure from there. To my surprise, another round of toast and juices in due course, and again at York. Cooked breakfast was tasty and a steady flow of coffee (4 or 5 rounds before NCL) as well as 3 lots of toast/juice was very pleasant. Good ratings.

Thursday 7th Feb, 1658 NCL-KGX
As per my trip last week - very happy on the food front. Chicken tikka jacket came around before Darlington. Very tasty curry, and the salad dressing was nice. After York, a full four sandwiches were permitted - these were extremely tasty. Two "New York deli" with some sort of pastrami, and two cheddar chutney. Both very well filled. Pictures of both plates below.
What let it down was the drink. Glass of vino blanco straight after Newcastle, but overheard the crew admitting "we do 3 runs between Edinburgh and London" so I knew I'd be getting one more after York. It came, so I decided to 'make it last'. We then hit signal issues at Newark. Good customer service would have been a fresh round of coffees and a passing of the drinks trolley. Sadly not - the staff sat and chatted in their pod at the end of coach K. One banker-looking sort demanded another whisky "it's going to be almost an hour and a half until London" - he was right. York to London took almost 2 1/2 hours, EC's "spoiling" offer was 1 hot drink and 1 cold drink in this time.
Moral of the story, one that I will be sticking to: worth the extra 15 mins to get the slower service (specify via Durham or Newark etc) to not have the crew pinching your cup and glass before you've finished so they can put their feet up for an hour and a half.

20jqs5t.jpg

2url56v.jpg

bnm

Established Member
Any chance of resizing those pics? Impossible to see on anything but a mahoosive monitor. :roll:

psychstud

Hi guys

Newbie here - going to do KGX to EDI (or LEU or DND) in July. It's been years since I last went up the East Coast - previous times in NXEC and GNER so no experience of the recent first class offerings. I've found all the corporate pages and menus, but want to know how much/many items I'll get on the whole journey, and especially how many drinks! Any tips on how to make the wine keep flowing? ;)

Russ