• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Northwestern delay repay cannot input multiple tickets

OhNoAPacer

I have tried to claim delay repay from London Northwestern using the online form, it allowed me to enter each leg of my journey but as my journey is covered by 2 tickets I cannot find a way to get the form to accept two ticket numbers and so only thinks the journey value is that of the first ticket.
I emailed customer services but the reply just pointed me to the online form and told me to select multiple legs. So not dealing with my issue. I have replied to them pointing this out and await their response.
In the meantime has anyone any idea how I could get the online form to accept both tickets for the journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Royston Vasey

Established Member
Are these paper tickets? I've succeeded without fail on multiple delay repay sites, including the identical WMT site, simply by submitting the total cost of all tickets, the ticket number of the most expensive, and when asked for a photo of the ticket, I've simply submitted a photo of both in one photo. I suppose if you have etickets, then combine the pdfs if you can. Adobe Acrobat can do this easily; if you don't have it, the Adobe site will combine two pdfs for free through the "Merge PDFs" page.

The claim will always be referred for checks, and assuming all else is legit, will be approved. Once a human has eyes on it, I don't think the ticket numbers really matter anyway.

OhNoAPacer

It is e-tickets issued by trainsplit so can upload the file showing both tickets but the problem is that the field fir ticket number will only allow one ticket number to be entered. I cannot see a way to amend the ticket cost once the online system has obtained tge value of the ticket entered in the UTN field.
I am sure there must be a way as I can't be the only person with a multiple ticket journey to have claimed delay repay from LNR.

Birmingham

I tried that but it wouldn't accept it.
I even tried saying I didn't have a ticket number but that then routed me via other questions back to where I started.
Is there an option that you've selected that you have a barcode ticket, so it requires a UTN that it can look up. If there's an option that you have a paper ticket then you could try that as it wouldn't be able to look up a number from that.

OhNoAPacer

Is there an option that you've selected that you have a barcode ticket, so it requires a UTN that it can look up. If there's an option that you have a paper ticket then you could try that as it wouldn't be able to look up a number from that.
The problem is as soon as I enter a UTN it looks it up as I do have an e-ticket. The only options are ticket has a barcode or ticket does not have a barcode. I have tried to pretend I don't have a barcode but that then sends me off to questions and eventually I ended up back having to fill in the UTN field.
All the time of course with all this my 28 days are ticking by, my journey was 10th January.
I must say it really annoys me that they can act as if all journeys will only be covered by one ticket, despite their website acknowledging that split tickets exist.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Urgh. :s At that rate I think I'd pick up a form at a station and mail it to their Freepost address.
Also pdf claim form on their website that could be printed off, by the looks of it - tho a copy from a station might be better to use if easier to get hold of

from here under 'Claiming by Post' - form looks like it has space for multiple ticket and multiple ticket numbers to be entered...

Post the completed form in an envelope to us at:

"Freepost LONDON NORTHWESTERN RAILWAY DELAY REPAY"

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I travel via LNWR trains quite often (nearly always with split tickets) and their Delay Repay website is awful.

I've found the easiest way is to enter the most expensive ticket number, but for the cost make sure you enter the combined total fare.

When they get around to approving your claim, appeal it explaining the reason you couldn't enter the required data, then they'll approve it.

Warning: I've just had approval of an appeal arising from a claim made on 18th December for a journey made on 18th December but I'm still to receive the refund.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I travel via LNWR trains quite often (nearly always with split tickets) and their Delay Repay website is awful.

I've found the easiest way is to enter the most expensive ticket number, but for the cost make sure you enter the combined total fare.
This approach has been successful for me in the past.

sheff1

Established Member
I had this issue. Sent an email to Customer Services with a copy of the tickets attached and, although it took them over a month to reply, they authorised the correct amount of compensation (I had stated the amount I was entitled to in the email just in case they didn't know how to calculate it :smile:)

OhNoAPacer

Just to clarify.
I travelled from Northampton (NMP) to Whitehaven (WTH) with changes at Rugby (RUG) and Carlisle (CAR) on January 10th with etickets.
My itinerary was 1040 NMP to RUG 1115 RUG to CAR 1512 CAR to WTH
My tickets were an off peak return NMP-CAR and an anytime short return CAR-WTH.
There was major disruption and I missed my connection at Rugby, I eventually arrived into Whitehaven just shy of a 2 hour delay, 1816 as opposed to 1620.
Although the online firm allows me to input the multiple legs it will only allow one ticket number to be inputted. There is no way to make any amendments once the system has looked up this number and therefore it is only using the NMP-CAR ticket and so not the full cost of my journey.
I contacted customer services explaining thus and attached a file containing both tickets. Their reply just told me to enter individual legs and gave me a link to their online form.
I have replied to their email informing them that this dies not solve my problem, no doubt by the time they reply I will be timed out from claiming delay repay.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I have replied to their email informing them that this dies not solve my problem, no doubt by the time they reply I will be timed out from claiming delay repay.
The 28 day window to apply is irrelevant once you have initiated your claim, so don't worry about that.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Just to clarify.
I travelled from Northampton (NMP) to Whitehaven (WTH) with changes at Rugby (RUG) and Carlisle (CAR) on January 10th with etickets.
My itinerary was 1040 NMP to RUG 1115 RUG to CAR 1512 CAR to WTH
My tickets were an off peak return NMP-CAR and an anytime short return CAR-WTH.
There was major disruption and I missed my connection at Rugby, I eventually arrived into Whitehaven just shy of a 2 hour delay, 1816 as opposed to 1620.
Although the online firm allows me to input the multiple legs it will only allow one ticket number to be inputted. There is no way to make any amendments once the system has looked up this number and therefore it is only using the NMP-CAR ticket and so not the full cost of my journey.
I contacted customer services explaining thus and attached a file containing both tickets. Their reply just told me to enter individual legs and gave me a link to their online form.
is there absolutely no way you can access a printer eg via a friend to be able to do it on paper form? (does your local library allow you to print stuff maybe, for a small fee?) If so that is bad luck - but suspect you would have said if you could print your tickets.
I'd keep screen shots (with dates) of your efforts to claim so you can rebut any suggestion from them that your claim is timed out

Edit:
This indicates a printing service - for a small charge - is available at most Northants libraries:

Maybe getting a claim form from the station and printing your tickets at the library is an option?

Assume given the ticket types and the length of the delay a few £s are at stake here.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
OK I think this may work for you.

Combine the tickets onto one PDF.

Select "paper ticket".

Enter ticket number as 12345.

Proceed to complete the additional info manually.

I at least managed to get that far with a PDF of an OS map. Obviously I'm not going to submit that as it would be (a) fraudulent and (b) silly.

bubieyehyeh

I had a recent delay repay using a split of eticket and paper ticket.
I had to create a image of both tickets, since the website only accepts one photo/pdf.
On the GTR website I selected eticket, left the ticket number blank and attached the image of both tickets.
It took longer than normal to process, but they paid the correct amount.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
An update on my current outstanding Delay Repay / Reimbusements with LNWR:

LNWR Journey 1 (Claim for a taxi fare [£20] to prevent being delayed by 1+ hours, plus an even bigger taxi fare [~£50]
N.B. Verbal approval and follow-up email of above received from LNWR Customer Services BEFORE booking Taxi

Journey date 28th Nov.
Claimed date 4th Dec.
Acknowledgement by LNWR 12th Dec.
Apology email regarding delay in dealing with this matter 28th Dec.
No further correspondence (but I have attempted to call them in the meantime, but gave up after ~30 mins on hold)
Total time from claim 59 days and counting

LNWR Journey 2 (Delay Repay)
Journey date 16th Dec.
Claimed date 18th Dec.
Approved for payment (after appeal) 24th Jan.
Repaid date - still waiting (as of 1st Feb.)
Total time from claim 45 days (and counting)

However, I've since had a claim with TPE as follows:
Journey date 20th Jan.
Claimed date 22nd Jan.
Approved date 26th Jan.
Paid date 31st Jan.
Total time from claim to being paid 9 days :D

I understand that the holidays are included in the above, but LNWR Customer Services really are not fit for purpose.

OhNoAPacer

Well they finally replied saying they cannot proceed with the claim as my smartcard number is incorrect. What smartcard! Presumably this was due to my enteral paper ticket and then putting in 12345 as ticket number.
I have updated details on my claim by changing back to eticket and entering the ticket number for the Northampton to Carlisle leg, the journey cost seemed to stay at my inputted one for the total journey, so we will see what happens now.
My response when seeing their reply was basically just wondering why they don't just look at the supplied pdf of my journey, my language may though have been slightly more fruity :lol:
It shouldn't be this difficult, all they need is to be able to put in multiple tickets on their form.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Update (12th Feb 2024)

All claims now settled after I gave-up waiting and called them (lady on CS helpline was very pleasant).

The total time for the refund of a taxi fare has taken 76 days (nearly 11 weeks)!

Lack of staff is the obvious reason for this.

OhNoAPacer

Well partial success they accepted the claim but awarded only half of what I am entitled to, appeal submitted.

Well they have denied my appeal claiming they have calculated it correctly.
My total journey, split as off peak Northampton to Carlisle anytime short return Carlisle to whitehaven. My outward journey was severely delayed, my train from Northampton missed my connection at Rugby, I finally arrived at whitehaven just under 2 hours late. My understanding is that I'm entitled to the full cost of the outward journey, they have awarded me half thus amount.
As my appeahas been denied what is my next option?

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well partial success they accepted the claim but awarded only half of what I am entitled to, appeal submitted.

Well they have denied my appeal claiming they have calculated it correctly.
My total journey, split as off peak Northampton to Carlisle anytime short return Carlisle to whitehaven. My outward journey was severely delayed, my train from Northampton missed my connection at Rugby, I finally arrived at whitehaven just under 2 hours late. My understanding is that I'm entitled to the full cost of the outward journey, they have awarded me half thus amount.
As my appeahas been denied what is my next option?
You are entitled to 50% of the cost of a return for a 60-119 minute delay. Are you saying they have only awarded you 25%?

If so, submit another appeal - or you could choose to escalate the matter by complaining to customer services.

Amos

Update (12th Feb 2024)

All claims now settled after I gave-up waiting and called them (lady on CS helpline was very pleasant).

The total time for the refund of a taxi fare has taken 76 days (nearly 11 weeks)!

Lack of staff is the obvious reason for this.
I would have been over the moon with only 11 weeks.It has taken them over 10 months (322 days) to refund me £8.30 after selling me an off peak ticket instead of a super off peak.Finally got the payment yesterday.

OhNoAPacer

You are entitled to 50% of the cost of a return for a 60-119 minute delay. Are you saying they have only awarded you 25%?

If so, submit another appeal - or you could choose to escalate the matter by complaining to customer services.
Doesn't seem possible to appeal again so have sent an email to customer services.
They have actually sent the incorrect amount to my bank account already.
My suspicion is that they are calculating it based on the delay of their service from Northampton to Rugby and not the whole journey.