• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Northwestern Railway announces "Destination Manchester"

LUYMun

London Northwestern Railway have recently released an announcement on their website detailing a proposal to extend services to Manchester via Warrington in light of the cancellation of HS2’s northern leg.

Website with full details: https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/whats-new/manchester
Destination Manchester

As a progressive rail operator we’re always looking to develop our services and timetables to provide a better travelling experience for our customers. We are ambitious and our team seek innovative solutions to create new journey opportunities.

That's why we have developed proposals for our trains to begin serving Manchester for the first time. Under the plans, our existing hourly service between Crewe and London Euston would be extended to Manchester city centre from summer 2026.

Following the cancellation of the northern leg of HS2, these proposals will provide much-needed connectivity between Manchester, the West Midlands and London, with thousands of extra seats every day.

The plan will create:

• Additional capacity and comfortable, affordable journeys to and from Manchester city centre
  • A great alternative to car and coach travel, with fares up to 50% cheaper than the main intercity train operator
  • New regular direct services to Warrington for passengers at Milton Keynes, Rugby and Lichfield
  • New regular direct services to Manchester for passengers at Rugeley, Lichfield, Tamworth and Atherstone
If approved, we’ll run the service into Manchester Victoria via Warrington Bank Quay using our brand new Class 730 electric trains with a total journey time to London of 3 hours 10 minutes. Our modern trains feature comfortable seats, on-board WiFi, ample luggage space and at-seat power points. Manufactured in the Midlands, the trains can carry more than 1,200 passengers when running with the maximum 10 carriages, bringing much-needed extra capacity to Manchester.

Why London Northwestern Railway?​

We are aware of other proposals to bring additional capacity to Manchester. However, with platform space at London Euston in short supply, we believe the common sense solution is to extend our existing services between Crewe and London Euston, rather than adding more trains onto the busy West Coast Main Line. Unlike the Open Access model, the extra revenue generated should our plans get the go-ahead will be returned to the taxpayer, creating a win-win for passengers.

Our plans are also designed to protect performance along the West Coast Main Line by providing longer station stops on the way, preventing the spread of delays into and out of Manchester and ensuring passengers both on this service and across the network will have more reliable journeys.

What happens next?​

We will submit our detailed proposals to the Office for Rail and Road for consideration in the second half of 2024. In the meantime we will work closely with other train operators, Network Rail and partners in the Manchester area to iron out the finer details of the proposal. If approval is granted we will begin training our drivers and senior conductors on the new route - and appoint some new ones – as soon as possible so we are ready to begin running trains from summer 2026.

Anything else?​

As well as the proposal to extend our London Euston-Crewe services to Manchester Victoria, we are also proposing to begin running trains to Manchester Airport. This will involve extending our existing service between Stafford and Crewe, providing direct connectivity to the airport from Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire. More details on this proposal will be announced in due course.

In the meantime, great value tickets are already available for travel with London Northwestern Railway and connections from Crewe to Manchester, with walk-up tickets available every day from £42.10 return, allowing passengers to save £66 on an equivalent walk-up fare for the faster intercity operator.

How can I help?​

If you would like to show support for our proposals or have feedback for us, you can email [email protected]

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bussnapperwm

Established Member
In the latest of the applications to run additional WMCL services, London Northwestern Railway (LNWR) have announced plans to serve Manchester Victoria and Manchester Airport - https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/whats-new/manchester

Destination Manchester

As a progressive rail operator we’re always looking to develop our services and timetables to provide a better travelling experience for our customers. We are ambitious and our team seek innovative solutions to create new journey opportunities.

That's why we have developed proposals for our trains to begin serving Manchester for the first time. Under the plans, our existing hourly service between Crewe and London Euston would be extended to Manchester city centre from summer 2026.

Following the cancellation of the northern leg of HS2, these proposals will provide much-needed connectivity between Manchester, the West Midlands and London, with thousands of extra seats every day.

The plan will create:

• Additional capacity and comfortable, affordable journeys to and from Manchester city centre
  • A great alternative to car and coach travel, with fares up to 50% cheaper than the main intercity train operator
  • New regular direct services to Warrington for passengers at Milton Keynes, Rugby and Lichfield
  • New regular direct services to Manchester for passengers at Rugeley, Lichfield, Tamworth and Atherstone
If approved, we’ll run the service into Manchester Victoria via Warrington Bank Quay using our brand new Class 730 electric trains with a total journey time to London of 3 hours 10 minutes. Our modern trains feature comfortable seats, on-board WiFi, ample luggage space and at-seat power points. Manufactured in the Midlands, the trains can carry more than 1,200 passengers when running with the maximum 10 carriages, bringing much-needed extra capacity to Manchester.

Why London Northwestern Railway?​

We are aware of other proposals to bring additional capacity to Manchester. However, with platform space at London Euston in short supply, we believe the common sense solution is to extend our existing services between Crewe and London Euston, rather than adding more trains onto the busy West Coast Main Line. Unlike the Open Access model, the extra revenue generated should our plans get the go-ahead will be returned to the taxpayer, creating a win-win for passengers.

Our plans are also designed to protect performance along the West Coast Main Line by providing longer station stops on the way, preventing the spread of delays into and out of Manchester and ensuring passengers both on this service and across the network will have more reliable journeys.

What happens next?​

We will submit our detailed proposals to the Office for Rail and Road for consideration in the second half of 2024. In the meantime we will work closely with other train operators, Network Rail and partners in the Manchester area to iron out the finer details of the proposal. If approval is granted we will begin training our drivers and senior conductors on the new route - and appoint some new ones – as soon as possible so we are ready to begin running trains from summer 2026.

Anything else?​

As well as the proposal to extend our London Euston-Crewe services to Manchester Victoria, we are also proposing to begin running trains to Manchester Airport. This will involve extending our existing service between Stafford and Crewe, providing direct connectivity to the airport from Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire. More details on this proposal will be announced in due course.

In the meantime, great value tickets are already available for travel with London Northwestern Railway and connections from Crewe to Manchester, with walk-up tickets available every day from £42.10 return, allowing passengers to save £66 on an equivalent walk-up fare for the faster intercity operator.

Press Release can be found here - New Manchester to London train service proposal unveiled by London Northwestern Railway - https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co....service-proposal-unveiled-london-northwestern

Proposals to run new train services between Manchester, the West Midlands and London Euston have been unveiled by rail operator London Northwestern Railway today (Monday 1 July).

The plans are designed to improve connectivity between the Midlands and the North West and provide more choice for passengers. Under the proposals, London Northwestern Railway’s existing services between London Euston and Crewe would be extended through to Manchester Victoria and the current services between Stafford and Crewe would be extended to Manchester Airport.

As well as bringing additional capacity to Manchester, the plans will create new direct links from Rugeley, Lichfield, Tamworth and Atherstone in the West Midlands to the city and Warrington, from summer 2026.

The services linking Manchester city centre to London would use the operator’s brand-new Class 730 electric trains, which are manufactured in the Midlands by Alstom and will provide a significant increase in capacity, with each 10-car train able to carry more than 1,200 passengers. The proposal will see London Northwestern Railway working with local operators and Network Rail to determine the best overall solution, tying in with planned upgrades to Manchester Victoria station, the TransPennine route upgrade and other local improvements in the North West.

Ian McConnell, managing director of West Midlands Trains, operator of London Northwestern Railway, said: “This proposal puts passengers at the heart of the railway and is the common sense solution to increase connectivity between the North West and the West Midlands following the cancellation of the northern leg of HS2.

“With platform space at Euston at a premium, the best way to provide new journey opportunities to Manchester is simply to extend existing services, rather than trying to squeeze more trains onto the congested West Coast Main Line.

“Additionally, unlike the Open Access model, the millions of pounds of extra revenue our proposals would generate will be returned to the taxpayer, providing a win-win for rail passengers.

“Just as we have shown with our existing long-distance services to Birmingham and Liverpool, our green and environmentally-friendly new electric trains will provide an affordable alternative to the car and coach, with fares up to 50% cheaper than the main intercity operator.”

Dominic Booth, chief executive officer of WMT's parent company, Transport UK Group, said: "Our new service proposals represent a significant step forward in enhancing the rail network between Manchester and London.

"By leveraging the new Class 730 electric trains, we will provide greater capacity and comfort for customers travelling to Manchester while also supporting the local economy by creating new job opportunities in the North West. This proposal aligns with our commitment to delivering efficient, sustainable, and customer-focused rail services across the UK.”

In addition to the economic benefits of generating additional revenue and enhancing connectivity between two of the UK’s largest city regions, the new services would also create new train crew and management jobs in the North West.

London Northwestern Railway will formally submit its plans to the Office for Rail and Road (ORR) later this year. If approved, the new services could commence from May 2026 once additional train crew have been recruited and trained.

For more information, visit www.lnr.uk/manchester

Ends

Notes to Editors

• West Midlands Trains runs more than 1,100 services per day between Liverpool, London and the West Midlands under the West Midlands Railway and London Northwestern Railway brands.
  • The existing hourly London Northwestern Railway service from London Euston-Crewe calls at London Euston, Milton Keynes Central, Rugby, Nuneaton, Atherstone, Tamworth, Lichfield Trent Valley, Rugeley Trent Valley, Stafford and Crewe.
  • Under the proposals announced today this services could be extended to Manchester from May 2026.
  • Transport UK Group is the only British-owned transport operator in the UK. It runs Greater Anglia, West Midlands Trains, East Midlands Railway and in partnership with Serco, Merseyrail. It also runs 11% of London bus routes. The company is led by a dedicated team of industry experts with unrivalled experience in the sector who play a vital role in shaping the future of integrated public transport.

bramling

Veteran Member
In the latest of the applications to run additional WMCL services, London Northwestern Railway (LNWR) have announced plans to serve Manchester Victoria and Manchester Airport - https://www.londonnorthwesternrailway.co.uk/travel-information/whats-new/manchester

Press Release can be found here - New Manchester to London train service proposal unveiled by London Northwestern Railway - https://www.westmidlandsrailway.co....service-proposal-unveiled-london-northwestern

I notice the dig at open-access. Is this more of a blocking attempt? Manchester to London hardly seems like it needs extra capacity, though I do get the point about providing for local journeys.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
ORR asked for proposals to be submitted so they can weight up the capacity and benefits of several bids together.
So this one goes in the same pot as the Virgin and First Group bids for WCML paths.
The new context is the cancellation of HS2 Phase 2, and LNR have cleverly added services north of Crewe with no addition to their WCML paths further south.
Routeing into Victoria via Warrington steers clear of Avanti, but Crewe-Airport competes head on with Northern.
It could all be overturned by Labour's GBR if they "regionalise" the TOCs.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Its not a new idea really. It just about works in the current timetable, the Stafford Crewe can sneak out in front to the TfW to get to the airport, and the Trent Valley will just have to hammer it up to Warrington as the Avanti Glasgow chases it. It will have to likely follow the Class 9 from Warrington going south. The Airport Stafford will likely have to be in front of the Avanti from Manchester.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
The Manchester Airport service intrigues me, if they run the service via Victoria, is there space through Castlefield? If they run the service via Piccadilly, is there platform space at Piccadilly to receive a 10 car service multiple times an hour and reverse it to the Airport?

I can see this service being very popular with those looking at a short notice trip to London due to LNR's cheap fares, like with LNR's Liverpool service. The main issue is capacity at Piccadilly/through Castlefield. I can also see having a direct Manchester Airport-London service being popular, it could attract some long haul airlines to Manchester Airport potentially.

Energy

Established Member
Somewhat suprising.

They already need to use one of the thru platforms at Crewe (1, 5, 6, 11, 12) for 10 car 730 services. Path through Castlefield and terminating at Victoria is interesting...

AL1

Before this plan sees the actual light of day, I would hope that the following might be in place:-
1. Full implementation by LNW of the 30 minute M-S Liverpool LS - Birmingham New St service;
2. Full power upgrade to allow the second Euston to Lime St service to operate north of Crewe with the new class 807;
3. Transport for the North/Dft/GBR has a clear and agreed plan for the range of regional and local rail services through Manchester, both Victoria and Castlefield corridor so that the best use of the TRU and other infrastructure interventions e.g Victoria turn backs are fully utilised.

SeanM1997

Before this plan sees the actual light of day, I would hope that the following might be in place:-
1. Full implementation by LNW of the 30 minute M-S Liverpool LS - Birmingham New St service;
2. Full power upgrade to allow the second Euston to Lime St service to operate north of Crewe with the new class 807;
3. Transport for the North/Dft/GBR has a clear and agreed plan for the range of regional and local rail services through Manchester, both Victoria and Castlefield corridor so that the best use of the TRU and other infrastructure interventions e.g Victoria turn backs are fully utilised.
I believe Liverpool - Birmingham is going half hourly from December 2024. Hopefully more info on that soon

I hope there is some movements to give Winsford, Hartford and Acton Bridge a link to Warrington, to increase connectivity and for passengers not to have to change in Crewe and go back on themselves. The Manchester Victoria - Crewe link will make it easier for those in Yorkshire to reach Cheshire and improves options of getting to Manchester from Crewe.

A link from Stoke to Manchester Airport has been sought for a long time and hopefully will mean a Sunday service heading south from Manchester Airport to Crewe which doesn't happen at the moment - which will improve connectivity

Hopefully none of these extensions will harm existing service patterns into Crewe and help to grow the Crewe hub

D7666

Excuse me for being cynical, but while yes I can read and know what that press release states about 10car 730s and 1200 passengers and much needed capacity, I suggest that is but media spin. I predict these will be 5car /mostly/ if not all 5car. At least when the service first starts up.

Spookily, as I used LNW to do Euston Crewe Liverpool last week, and stopped in Wigan, without any knowledge of this move, I did wonder if an LNW Euston Warrington alternating Liverpool and Manchester would have any value or interest.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Excuse me for being cynical, but while yes I can read and know what that press release states about 10car 730s and 1200 passengers and much needed capacity, I'll suggested that is but media spin. I predict these will be 5car /mostly/ if not all.

If they are, then they'll have a serious overcrowding problem on their hands. A budget Manchester to London service is likely to be VERY popular.

D7666

Well yes, but that don't seem to worry them with the current Euston Crewe 8cars; sure there is loads of room if you go mid day mid week off peak but they can be sardine cans at other times. These are the only LMW services I use with any regularity - about 5-6 return trips a year - and have learnt to plan both ways travel to avoid anything approaching a peak time, or, if I must, ensure I am in place at the point of origin find a seat, batten done the hatches, and on with the headphones.

The ONLY reason I had a very comfortable 8car ride last Friday on 1U40 17:13 ex-Crewe was it was late inbound left at 17:41 and called Rugby and MKC only :

and I could gloat :E from my complete bays to myself :p as we bombed non stop through Trent Valley platforms awash with punters <D

Last edited:

td97

Established Member
Is this proposal compatible with retaining the Northern Leeds - Chester? Or would that be curtailed to Victoria, to allow this LNWR service to operate?

D6975

Established Member
The Manchester Airport service intrigues me, if they run the service via Victoria, is there space through Castlefield? If they run the service via Piccadilly, is there platform space at Piccadilly to receive a 10 car service multiple times an hour and reverse it to the Airport?

I can see this service being very popular with those looking at a short notice trip to London due to LNR's cheap fares, like with LNR's Liverpool service. The main issue is capacity at Piccadilly/through Castlefield. I can also see having a direct Manchester Airport-London service being popular, it could attract some long haul airlines to Manchester Airport potentially.
The Manchester Airport service won't go anywhere near Picc or Vic. It will approach from the south, terminate and return south.

SeanM1997

Excuse me for being cynical, but while yes I can read and know what that press release states about 10car 730s and 1200 passengers and much needed capacity, I suggest that is but media spin. I predict these will be 5car /mostly/ if not all 5car. At least when the service first starts up.
I wonder if there will be 10-car between Euston and Crewe but 5 continue to Manchester Victoria, allowing for extra capacity on the core section only

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Well yes, but that don't seem to worry them with the current Euston Crewe 8cars; sure there is loads of room if you go mid day mid week off peak but they can be sardine cans at other times.

The present dissuader is that you have to go to Crewe. I think they will rapidly find that even 240m means standees on a Manchester service.

The intention is that most services will be 10.730 to Crewe anyway, even if this doesn't happen.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I doubt that DfT will permit a "budget" Manchester-London service with significantly lower fares than on Avanti.

It would rip the heart out of Avanti's business case and result in major subsidy increases.

Energy

Established Member
I doubt that DfT will permit a "budget" Manchester-London service with significantly lower fares than on Avanti.

It would rip the heart out of Avanti's business case and result in major subsidy increases.
The DfT will know about this already...

The service is much slower, less frequent and goes from Victoria rather than Picadilly. Those using cheap Avanti advances may use it instead but the high paying business travellers won't.

I'd expect the DfT (and its operators) to already have data from other parts of the country on how a slower, cheaper service will affect the faster operator, e.g LNWR and Avanti at Coventry.

deltic

Established Member

Its not DfT's decision to make at present but the ORR and the operator needs to demonstrate that it will grow the market and not just abstract revenue from Avanti.

If they are, then they'll have a serious overcrowding problem on their hands. A budget Manchester to London service is likely to be VERY popular.
Totally agree.
You need only look at each LNR BHM - EUS Service load up to, in my experience, about 50 - 60% capacity of just London Pax on cheap LNR Advances. This is without those you join at local Stations to Coventry then Rugby. After Long Buckby you have the Day Travelcard Bridgade.....

D7666

Its not DfT's decision to make at present but the ORR and the operator needs to demonstrate that it will grow the market and not just abstract revenue from Avanti.
All this consultation - or whatever you wish to call it - between TOCs and ORR and DfT and NR and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all will already have been done before the media announcement,

Strange as it may seem, TOCs do not announce things like this without doing their groundwork first.

If this were some upstart OAO e.g. Go-Op then that is different, but a TOC, which is in practice DfT run anyway, will have done its consultation, even down to platform berthing lengths.

even 240m means standees on a Manchester service.

The intention is that most services will be 10.730 to Crewe anyway, even if this doesn't happen.

<D

I am waiting for the suggestion to use 93s on ex-TP Mk5A sets reformed as needed ............. 110 mph ........... LH .............. diesel for self rescue and diverts ............. what more could you want ..............

< dives for cover >

:p

Last edited:

The Planner

Veteran Member
All this consultation - or whatever you wish to call it - between TOCs and ORR and DfT and NR and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all will already have been done before the media announcement,

Strange as it may seem, TOCs do not announce things like this without doing their groundwork first.

If this were some upstart OAO e.g. Go-Op then that is different, but a TOC, which is in practice DfT run anyway, will have done its consultation, even down to platform berthing lengths.
You would be surprised....

Nottingham59

Established Member
It's an excellent proposal. Manchester - London is grossly under-served. The crowding on the first off-peak evening trains out of London show how much unsatisfied demand there is, at the right price.

And given there doesn't seem to be capacity to increase services from London via Wilmslow or via Stoke, then providing a slower, cheaper service to Manchester via Warrington is going to deliver great public benefit.

After all, for most members of the public it's capacity and price that matter, rather than speed.