• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London off peak ticket, travelling from Milton Keynes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
Hi, I have a off peak London, Blackpool north ticket, can I use this on any train from Milton Keynes or am I restricted to the trains which it is valid from London on.

Cheers in anticipation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The restriction (9I) is worded thus:

Not valid on trains timed to depart:

London Euston after 04:29 and before 09:26 or after 15:00 and before 18:45 (Restrictions do not apply on Fridays)

Resuming after a break of journey or starting short has never been quite clear - it'd be silly to apply those restrictions to a break at say Wigan. However you would likely not get away with ignoring the restriction just by boarding at MKC, so unless you like hassle...

philthetube

Established Member
The restriction (9I) is worded thus:

Resuming after a break of journey or starting short has never been quite clear - it'd be silly to apply those restrictions to a break at say Wigan. However you would likely not get away with ignoring the restriction just by boarding at MKC, so unless you like hassle...
Cheers for this, I will try and butter up the guard on the platform, split at mk next trip then.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Cheers for this, I will try and butter up the guard on the platform, split at mk next trip then.

I wouldn't rule out hassle at Preston, they sometimes do a block to check people aren't stopping short on Lancaster tickets with no evening restrictions. You'd be very much best advised not to try it. Can that ticket be used for a later trip and a new one be bought for this trip?

Haywain

Veteran Member
The restriction also says:
Not valid on trains timed to depart:

• Milton Keynes Central after 04:29 and before 09:51;(Restrictions do not apply on Fridays)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It does, yes. Unfortunately it doesn't make clear what the purpose of the station names listed is, that is whether they mean "tickets from" or "boarding at".

I think the chance of getting away with this is very low.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It does, yes. Unfortunately it doesn't make clear what the purpose of the station names listed is, that is whether they mean "tickets from" or "boarding at".

I think the chance of getting away with this is very low.
I think it's fairly clear what it means, otherwise there would be a ludicrously long list of station names if it meant "tickets from". The restrictions apply to all tickets from stations in the Network Railcard area.

philthetube

Established Member
Not relevant but there do not appear to be any evening restrictions from Milton Keynes.

philthetube

Established Member
I have just been informed by the Milton Keynes ticket office that my ticket is valid, additionally the gates accepted it when I tried to reach the platform. I will take these two things together as permission to travel.

I must admit that I am happier about the gates than the office.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I have just been informed by the Milton Keynes ticket office that my ticket is valid, additionally the gates accepted it when I tried to reach the platform. I will take these two things together as permission to travel.

I must admit that I am happier about the gates than the office.

Good luck! :)

philthetube

Established Member
Cheers, will post updates

Arrived back in Blackpool, no problems, travelled via Manchester, because quickest journey, not to avoid Preston, where I had to change.

Ticket not checked on the train, but was at the barriers in Manchester,but just nodded through, also checked on both northern trains, no issues there though I wouldn't have expected any.

Barriers worked fine at Blackpool north.

I have to travel again on Monday, so will ask guard what he/she thinks, but will split at Milton Keynes to be safe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.