• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Overground line names announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRAX

Established Member
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

Yet another comical waste of £4m from TfL.
To be honest I think it’s good to make the network a bit clearer.

But dang how much simpler, cheaper and better would it have been to just give the line numbers…

43OO4

Classic TfL, given an opportunity to do something great and they fumble the ball.

Never change, TfL - or, in fact, please do!

Mikey C

Established Member
Dreadful names. You just knew that they'd end up with a political slant.

1D54

Why politicise this? Is it down to Khan?

I'll be sticking with the names i know best.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I'm sure we'll get used to the names, but that's quite a lot to take in - and I think numbers could have worked fine.

Plenty of people are going to start crying though. Best not watch GB News for a bit as they'll be all over this.

thomalex

Yep, it’s about as bad as I feared.

And top marks on the Windrush line, you know the one that passes through Brixton without stopping

Last edited:

lachlan

They're no worse than "Elizabeth line" but they do feel a bit naff - would have been happy with numbered lines and this would easily separate them from tube lines

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm sure we'll get used to the names, but that's quite a lot to take in - and I think numbers could have worked fine.

Plenty of people are going to start crying though. Best not watch GB News for a bit as they'll be all over this.
It would be just as bad if the lines were named after "Tory causes"

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Numbers would have been so much better....

I can see the local relevance of the name of the Liberty line (it being located within the historic jurisdiction of the Liberty of Havering-atte-Bower, also politically that area is largely wildly libertarian and right-wing nowadays...). The NLL runs through Mildmay Park (albeit without stopping), while the ELL (or rather it's SLL extension) runs (at a great height, and some speed, also without stopping) through probably the neighbourhood most associated with the Windrush immigrants (Brixton)...

The Liverpool Street line runs near Weavers Fields (in Bethnal Green), and the Lionesses are presumably supposed to be associated with Wembley.

Not sure what the link between suffragettes and anywhere on the Goblin are.... But at least they didn't name it after Billy Bragg....but why not William Morris?

..but really want a waste of time and resources, and doing something that will not make using or explaining the Overground network easier

Last edited:

Class15

On Moderation
The new London Overground line names and colours have been revealed, along with a new corresponding network map.

View attachment 152330
View attachment 152331

The Romford-Upminster shuttle is the Liberty line.

The Watford DC service is the Lioness line.

The NLL becomes the Mildmay line.

The GOBLIN is now the Suffragette line.

The Liverpool St services are the Weaver line.

The East London Line is now the Windrush line.

I’m really not sure I like those names at all…
It should have just been “North London Line”, “East London Line”, “GOBLIN”, “Emerson Park Line”, “Lea Valley Lines” and “Watford Line”. But no, we have this instead.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
They should have kept the "Goblin line" name.

It's already well known and used (and quirky").

WelshBluebird

Established Member
..but really want a waste of time and resources, and doing something that will not make using or explaining the Overground network easier
Except it will. Just because people here domt seem to like the names doesn't mean naming the lines isn't going to make it a tonne easier for those travelling, especially those unfamiliar with the different lines, and even more especially when it comes to times of service disruption.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Its well known by people who already know the Overground. It is not well known by the broader travelling public.

To be fair, that's likely to be a good proportion of users. And it has a head start over the new names which are....well, new.

Khxds

It's a real shame they didn't keep the ELL/Windrush Line orange, especially seeing as it was the first to use the colour before the rebrand and expansion.

Andyh82

Established Member
When I first saw this list I thought they’d been made up to get people annoyed on twitter

It was always going to be something like this under Khan. Boring names like ‘East London Line’ don’t give an opportunity to virtue signal

camflyer

I would have been happy with

Overground 1
Overground 2
Overground 3
Overground 4
Overground 5
Overground 6

Ashley Hill

Established Member
It should have just been “North London Line”, “East London Line”, “GOBLIN”, “Emerson Park Line”, “Lea Valley Lines” and “Watford Line”. But no, we have this instead.
I agree. Geographical names are much clearer and represent where the lines run, far better than politically correct names will do. For the same reason I preferred Crossrail to the Elizabeth line.

Falcon1200

Established Member
But dang how much simpler, cheaper and better would it have been to just give the line numbers…

But less informative because numbers do not show where a line actually serves! Whereas North London Line, in particular, describes very well where the line (mostly) goes, and has been in use for decades.

They should have kept the "Goblin line" name.

Yes.

It's only used by enthusiasts let's be honest.

Perhaps, perhaps not, but the new name is not used by anyone!

Mikey C

Established Member
Even if people didn't know Goblin, once explained it actually makes sense, and is both memorable and non controversial.

Status
Not open for further replies.