• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Shrewsbury (April 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd rail land

I am travelling to Shrewsbury from London on 8th April and returning on 14th April. On 8th April I must arrive before 15:30 as that is when the onward transport departs and is extremely unlikely to wait for me if I am late.

I hold a 26-30 railcard.

I did this trip in 2019 and was able to travel to Shrewsbury and back on advances, with a 26-30 railcard, for just £19.10

However this time round I can find hardly any advances on offer.

What itineraries would people suggest? I quite like the idea of going via Crewe and arriving into Shrewsbury at 14:49 however it would cost £39.25 which seems rather pricey.

I accept rail prices have gone up a fair but but compared to 2019 that is a huge increase and doesn't even account for the return leg!

Would an open return, or whatever they are called these days, be a sensible possibility? Should I hold out and hope more advances are released?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
It may well be worth trying trainsplit.com or similar for ideas. When I try it with your dates, it suggests the WMR/TfW only super off-peak return for £18.80 with your Railcard - but the trains you can use this on aren't the fastest.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
If you don't mind a slightly slower journey, a Super Off-Peak Return from Marylebone using Chiltern as far as Leamington Spa (change onto CrossCountry to Birmingham International or New Street for onward connections) or Moor Street (walk round to New Street) would be £26.70 with a 26-30 Railcard discount.

Not valid leaving Marylebone before 0830, nor between 1600 and 1900, Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays); and not valid to arrive back into Marylebone before 1130 Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays.)

Checking just now, there's an Advance ticket available for £9.20 on the 1137 from Marylebone, changing in Birmingham, and arriving in Shrewsbury at 1510; or £12.20 on the 1037, again changing in Birmingham, and arriving in Shrewsbury at 1409. To find these, you'll probably need to specify "via Leamington Spa" when doing the search.

You've not said exactly when you're returning, but there's a £6.25 Advance on the 1043 from Shrewsbury, giving a sedate connection (i.e. an hour to do the 8 minute walk across Birmingham) into the (loco-hauled) 1255 from Moor Street and arriving back at Marylebone at 1453; or £10.85 on the 1145, with a similar connection into the 1355, due 1545.

3rd rail land

If you don't mind a slightly slower journey, a Super Off-Peak Return from Marylebone using Chiltern as far as Leamington Spa (change onto CrossCountry to Birmingham International or New Street for onward connections) or Moor Street (walk round to New Street) would be £26.70 with a 26-30 Railcard discount.

Not valid leaving Marylebone before 0830, nor between 1600 and 1900, Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays); and not valid to arrive back into Marylebone before 1130 Mondays to Fridays (excluding public holidays.)

Checking just now, there's an Advance ticket available for £9.20 on the 1137 from Marylebone, changing in Birmingham, and arriving in Shrewsbury at 1510; or £12.20 on the 1037, again changing in Birmingham, and arriving in Shrewsbury at 1409. To find these, you'll probably need to specify "via Leamington Spa" when doing the search.

You've not said exactly when you're returning, but there's a £6.25 Advance on the 1043 from Shrewsbury, giving a sedate connection (i.e. an hour to do the 8 minute walk across Birmingham) into the (loco-hauled) 1255 from Moor Street and arriving back at Marylebone at 1453; or £10.85 on the 1145, with a similar connection into the 1355, due 1545.
Thanks all. I think I just have to accept that prices are much higher than when I did the trip in 2019 or go the slow less direct route out of Marylebone. The 11:37 you've mentioned actually gets in at pretty much the ideal time but is rather slower than options out of Euston.

On the 14th Aril I should be at Shrewsbury by 09:30 and would want to get one of the first off peak options available.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Thanks all. I think I just have to accept that prices are much higher than when I did the trip in 2019 or go the slow less direct route out of Marylebone.

On the 14th Aril I should be at Shrewsbury by 09:30 and would want to get one of the first off peak options available.
Marylebone option would be 0943 from Shrewsbury, again with the hour wait in Birmingham, for a 1405 arrival. Again, that's showing a £9.20 Advance at present, giving £18.40 return if you were to get the 1137 on the way there.

Trainsplit suggests the 1143 from Euston to Birmingham New Street, then the 1325 to Shrewsbury, arriving 1421; returning on the 0931 from Shrewsbury, connecting into the 1050 from New Street and getting back to Euston at 1217, for a total price of £34.01 (including their share of the saving.)

For the absolute cheapest, they suggest doing Marylebone - Moor Street - Shrewsbury on the way out (£9.20 on the 1137) and Shrewsbury - Birmingham - Northampton - Euston on the return (£7.55 Advance, on the 0943 from Shrewsbury, arriving Euston 1325.)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I am travelling to Shrewsbury from London on 8th April and returning on 14th April. On 8th April I must arrive before 15:30 as that is when the onward transport departs and is extremely unlikely to wait for me if I am late.

I hold a 26-30 railcard.

I did this trip in 2019 and was able to travel to Shrewsbury and back on advances, with a 26-30 railcard, for just £19.10

However this time round I can find hardly any advances on offer.

What itineraries would people suggest? I quite like the idea of going via Crewe and arriving into Shrewsbury at 14:49 however it would cost £39.25 which seems rather pricey.

I accept rail prices have gone up a fair but but compared to 2019 that is a huge increase and doesn't even account for the return leg!

Would an open return, or whatever they are called these days, be a sensible possibility? Should I hold out and hope more advances are released?
Unfortunately the price and availability of Advances on Avanti has worsened substantially in the last few years. Clearly they think they don't need to sell seats as cheaply, particularly as they were competing with the cheaper but slower options available for most West Midlands destinations for those who are more price conscious.

paul1609

Established Member
The truth is that fares on all operators from London to WCML destinations have increased substantially since the beginning of the pandemic (or good value tickets have got substantial extra restrictions). The fact is though they were very cheap indeed before a London to Crewe ticket on LNWR was often cheaper than my ticket from Kent to London.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Just to give a comparison and, i think, make the train fare seem more reasonable, National Express want £25.80 as their cheapest. And there's only 1 coach that doesn't suit your times!

Status
Not open for further replies.