• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Sightseeing Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCommuter

It's years since I floated around London and my circumstances have changed so I'd appreciate any advice for an upcoming trip to the smoke. I'll be travelling with my wife and 10 year old daughter. We don't currently have a railcard but will invest if its worth it.

Day one. Arrive Gatwick and travel to Wandsworth Town. (unlikely to be in evening peak)

Day two. Wandsworth Town to Chessington South and return. (outward in peak)

Day three and four. Wandsworth Town to zone 1 and travel within. Assume peak travel.

Day five. Wandsworth Town to zone 1 and onwards to Gatwick. All off peak.

I know that contactless has a cap, but is Gatwick included? And what about a 10 year old? She hasn't got a debit card but TfL advises under 11s travel free on tube and bus and some national rail - but how do I get her through the gates (ask a member of staff?) and which national rail is free?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Regarding this, they need to apply for a zip oyster photo card. Details on how to do that can be found here:
This is incorrect for accompanied children.

See: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-d...-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572#on-this-page-1
TfL said:
When you don't need a 5-10 Zip Oyster photocard

Up to four children under 11 travel free with a fare-paying adult.

Your child doesn't need a photocard to:

Travel free on buses and trams (unless they look older than 10)
Buy child-rate paper tickets (unless they look older than 10)
Travel accompanied by an adult on these National Rail services: https://content.tfl.gov.uk/free-travel-areas-without-oyster-adult-accompanying-map.pdf

The map linked is quite clear as to what National Rail services are free when accompanied by a fare paying adult. Child rate tickets can be purchased as required for other journeys. TfL (tube, buses, etc) are free when accompanied without exception.

Benjwri

Established Member

MadCommuter

This is incorrect for accompanied children.

See: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-d...-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572#on-this-page-1

The map linked is quite clear as to what National Rail services are free when accompanied by a fare paying adult. Child rate tickets can be purchased as required for other journeys. TfL (tube, buses, etc) are free when accompanied without exception.
Thanks for that link and map. So it looks like I'll need to get a photo card sorted out as we'll be using the lines coloured blue a lot, but there's a tenner admin charge. A bit of a faff, if I'm honest, for a few days in London.

MrJeeves

Established Member
I know that contactless has a cap, but is Gatwick included?
Yes, there are different caps for Gatwick due to its distance from most of the network. From TfL's website:

Daily peakDaily off-peakMonday to Sunday
Gatwick (excl Gatwick Express) to Zones 1-9£37.30£23.70£126.60

Considering you're travelling with your child, it may be worth considering buying a Gatwick to Zones 1-6 travelcard for your outbound and return journey. Outbound, fares from Gatwick to London have no peak restrictions except in the morning (pre 9am or arrival into London before 10am, normally), which may save you money.

If I look for a Monday afternoon (2pm), you can get three Gatwick to Zone 1-6 travelcards for £34.80 (£16.40/adult, £2/child).

Considering it's (off-peak) £9.50/adult from Gatwick to Wandsworth Town with an Oyster or contactless card, or £12.20/adult if you're going via London Terminals, plus the cost of your child (with a Zip, £2.70 off-peak), it's about £8 extra for unlimited Z1-6 travel for all three of you. If you are doing any travel around London other than Gatwick - Wandsworth on your outbound or return days, it's likely this may be cheaper than Oyster/Contactless due to the much higher daily cap caused by travel to Gatwick.

Other than this, best bet is Oyster and Contactless for everything else, plus Zip for your daughter, I believe.

MadCommuter

Yes, there are different caps for Gatwick due to its distance from most of the network. From TfL's website:

Daily peakDaily off-peakMonday to Sunday
Gatwick (excl Gatwick Express) to Zones 1-9£37.30£23.70£126.60

Considering you're travelling with your child, it may be worth considering buying a Gatwick to Zones 1-6 travelcard for your outbound and return journey. Outbound, fares from Gatwick to London have no peak restrictions except in the morning (pre 9am or arrival into London before 10am, normally), which may save you money.

If I look for a Monday afternoon (2pm), you can get three Gatwick to Zone 1-6 travelcards for £34.80 (£16.40/adult, £2/child).

Considering it's (off-peak) £9.50/adult from Gatwick to Wandsworth Town with an Oyster or contactless card, or £12.20/adult if you're going via London Terminals, plus the cost of your child (with a Zip, £2.70 off-peak), it's about £8 extra for unlimited Z1-6 travel for all three of you. If you are doing any travel around London other than Gatwick - Wandsworth on your outbound or return days, it's likely this may be cheaper than Oyster/Contactless due to the much higher daily cap caused by travel to Gatwick.

Other than this, best bet is Oyster and Contactless for everything else, plus Zip for your daughter, I believe.
Thank you, that's very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.