• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Terminals to Coventry, route High Wycombe, off-peak day return (restriction code WZ)

Class800

Established Member
May I check please that I have interpreted it correctly that this ticket has no outbound time restriction? Also that the super-off peak version can be used from 8.30am leaving London Terminals (restriction code PU).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mangyiscute

Established Member
May I check please that I have interpreted it correctly that this ticket has no outbound time restriction? Also that the super-off peak version can be used from 8.30am leaving London Terminals (restriction code PU).
That looks correct to me - if you want absolute certainty, entering a journey into a journey planner (say the forum's ticket website, marylebone to coventry with via High Wycombe specified in the advance options) should bring up that fare.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's correct. In fact, the restriction code explicitly says:
Outward Travel
No restriction from London Marylebone.

(Pedantically, it's actually an Off-Peak Return rather than an Off-Peak Day Return)

Class800

Established Member
Thanks

I can't find anywhere that will sell this ticket (or the Plumstead to Coventry via High Wycombe one), even Chiltern or Train Split. Maybe I'll have to try a ticket office or the machine on the day

Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
I can't find anywhere that will sell this ticket (or the Plumstead to Coventry via High Wycombe one), even Chiltern or Train Split. Maybe I'll have to try a ticket office or the machine on the day
I just had a quick search on trainsplit and it offered me the ticket.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Chiltern's cross-London Super Off-Peak tickets have an additional "Not valid on trains timed to arrive at London Terminals, Farringdon or Kensington Olympia after 04:29 and before 10:00" restriction, hence why you won't get one from Plumstead early in the morning.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Chiltern's cross-London Super Off-Peak tickets have an additional "Not valid on trains timed to arrive at London Terminals, Farringdon or Kensington Olympia after 04:29 and before 10:00" restriction, hence why you won't get one from Plumstead early in the morning.
Of course you would always have the option of nominally selecting a later train just to buy the ticket and then paying using Oyster or contactless for the journey from Plumstead to Marylebone.

I'm sure our more experienced members can also come up with their own ideas of other alternatives...

Class800

Established Member
Of course you would always have the option of nominally selecting a later train just to buy the ticket and then paying using Oyster or contactless for the journey from Plumstead to Marylebone.

I'm sure our more experienced members can also come up with their own ideas of other alternatives...
Thanks I'll have to try again. Not sure why nothing was coming up for me.

Whatever I do, the £72.20 Plumstead to Coventry off peak via High Wycombe won't come up - only the £70.20 any permitted off peak which is time restricted or the £138.90 anytime. Looks like I'll have to ask my company if they'd rather save money or be sure I won't be slightly late.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    68.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

mangyiscute

Established Member
Thanks I'll have to try again. Not sure why nothing was coming up for me.

Whatever I do, the £72.20 Plumstead to Coventry off peak via High Wycombe won't come up - only the £70.20 any permitted off peak which is time restricted or the £138.90 anytime. Looks like I'll have to ask my company if they'd rather save money or be sure I won't be slightly late.
I guess what is happening is that since the tickets have a "not to arrive before 10am into London Marylebone" restriction, and your tube is getting to Marylebone before 10am, this is causing the ticketing website to incorrectly not show the fare, even though it is valid for this journey (restrictions are here https://www.brfares.com/!faredetail?orig=PLU&dest=COV&rte=305&ldn=1&tkt=SVR).
I expect if you go on a website where it offers you certain different ticket types, you would be offered the £72.20 one on a later service, and then you could use it on an earlier service since it is valid, although I can't guarantee it'll work at the ticket barriers and if it doesn't, you'll need to be prepared since most barrier staff will see an off peak ticket being used at say 7am and just immediately reject it, so you'll need to be ready to show them the specific restrictions for that ticket.

Edit: in fact, doing a search on GWR's website does offer the £72.20 ticket on the earlier services: https://www.gwr.com/tickets/#/5208/1030/2024-07-03/D05:00/2024-07-05/D13:00/1/0/0/1/1/V3054/N/N
Perhaps one for the trainsplit staff to have a look at, I'm not sure who to tag here, so hopefully someone can let them know?

Edit 2: Scrap what I said above, it looks to me like you haven't got the via High Wycombe specified in the search so its just offering you services from Euston - try the search again with via High Wycombe specified: https://tickets.railforums.co.uk/re...ass=false&flexible=false&selectionMethod=Grid
I am getting the required tickets showing up (you may need to select fastest from the bar at the top to get the earliest trains to show)

Last edited: