• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Epsom and Banstead

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgl

Established Member
Going up to london in a couple of days and want to take my Mum to where her late mother was born and grew up so wondering if anyone had any advice on the best way/ticketing to do a round trip:

From London (any station) to Epsom and Banstead (in any order) and back to London.

Breaking the journey at both Epsom and Banstead. Will probably be done Thursday afternoon.

Primarily wondering if it can be done without going back on ourselves, so once we've finished at the last destination we can go straight back to London rather than having to go via the previous destination to save time.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
A Travelcard plus a Boundary Zone 6 to Epsom return would do you, though if you're using contactless that's valid at Epsom as well these days.

Whichever one you visit first, you'd only have to double back to Sutton in order to do the other; I'd recommend doing Banstead first as there are more trains from Epsom to London than there are from the Epsom Downs branch.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In terms of ticketing, can you use Oyster/Contactless PAYG? If so that is the easiest way, but a paper ticket may be cheaper if you are breaking your journey a lot.

When you say any station, will you walk there or be dropped off or something? If you can say exactly what public transport legs you will be doing, we can give more tailored advice. Also are there any Railcards involved, or other discounts?

dgl

Established Member
We are staying at London Wembley Park Premier Inn (so next to Wembkey Park station) and will have contactless available.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
You could also get a bus between Banstead and Epsom. TfL route 166 (although its only hourly), which would obviously be included in any cap on contactless or Oystercard

dgl

Established Member
So I assume that using contactless will be the way forward and that will enable me to not have to necessarily take the same route in both directions.
Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.