• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Preston 30th Jun - 1st July

Status
Not open for further replies.

roversfan2001

Established Member
Hi all,

I’m currently midway through the process of planning a day trip to London on Sunday. I’ve already booked the overnight National Express down on the Saturday night, however on Sunday night heading back north the coach is £23, which is possibly a bit too expensive (I could afford it but it’s not really value for money). There is however a rail option for less than £10, which involves a wait of just over 3 hours at Northampton (2am-5am roughly). I wouldn’t directly oppose this option, however that’s a long wait at a location I’ve only visited once (for the football a couple of years ago).

From reading other threads I’ve gathered that there’s a 24 hour McDonalds nearby where I could kill some time which would be fine by me, but what’s the area like? Is it worth the over 50% saving on the coach price?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
I would not describe the area as pleasant, and that's in the daytime. All the same, providing the McDonald's is open I think it would be very unlikely that there would be anything bad that would happen. The worst is that you would be very tired and bored.

Personally, for the convenience, I would probably rather have the through journey by coach, as this gives an opportunity to sleep, which there won't be in Northampton. I would probably pay £23 for the benefit of that. If the coach is bound for Scotland do not forget to set an alarm to wake up at Preston.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 24 hour McDonalds is at Sixfields which is a fair way from the station. Probably a good half hour walk.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
The 24 hour McDonalds is at Sixfields which is a fair way from the station. Probably a good half hour walk.

The one on Drapery in the centre is apparently 24hrs. A 12 minute walk away.

Just mind it isn't like the one in Newcastle where they shut off seating past a certain hour.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The one on Drapery in the centre is apparently 24hrs. A 12 minute walk away.

Just mind it isn't like the one in Newcastle where they shut off seating past a certain hour.

You learn something every day! I never knew that one was 24 hours, I'm from Northampton and The Drapery is one of McDonalds oldest UK locations.

As @rg177 says check there's seating open 24 hours.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I would pay the extra and not wait somewhere. A few minutes, maybe 20 minutes to change buses, but not three hours.

mmh

Established Member
Even if the McDonald's has seating for 3 hours, wouldn't you end up spending more than, or a fair chunk of, the saving while waiting in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.