• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Transport Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike57

Established Member
We are visiting London in a couple of weeks for the day and we want to visit the LT museum in Covent Garden, i had a look on their website, but it didn't really help. There was a lot of stuff about annual passes but I could not see anything about tickets on the day or tickets bought in advance.

So could anyone help please,
  • Can you buy tickets at the door on the day with out pre booking?
  • If so is there a cost premium, and if so is it enough to be a concern
  • Can you buy a dated one day ticket in advance online?
  • Will it be busy around a Friday lunchtime, not school holidays?
We will only be visit the once, we probably won't be back in London for 12 months anyway.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this is the wrong forum, admins feel free to move it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mike57

Established Member

tickets bought online or at the Museum ticket desk are valid for 12 months, there are no 'Day' tickets.
OK thanks, so we can just turn up and buy on the day. I think the website could be clearer, but at least I know.

bspahh

Established Member
There is also an open day at the Acton depot on the weekend of March 24-26th

Russel

I haven't been to the London Transport Museum for a few years so wouldn't mind visiting, but £18 per ticket seems quite steep.

From memory is isn't actually that big.

mike57

Established Member
I haven't been to the London Transport Museum for a few years so wouldn't mind visiting, but £18 per ticket seems quite steep.

From memory is isn't actually that big.
Given how everything else has gone up I dont think £18 per ticket is too bad. Other similar museums and attractions in London seem to run from £10 to £25. Not sure how they compare for size but both Madam Tussaurds and the Rugby Museum are £25, at the £10 end you have things like Tower Bridge, and at £12 Crossness pumping station when not in steam.

birchesgreen

Established Member
The LT museum has some good exhibits though it can be pretty busy and stuff isn't always arranged so you can see it easily (or wasn't the last time i was there anyway) but as a Friend of the LT Museum i recommend everyone go of course.

Though Acton Depot is better. :lol:

Flying Phil

Established Member
We enjoyed our visit a couple of years ago, there is a lot there, on two floors, with good explanation boards. The area does have lots of shops too.

Ralph Ayres

Their ticketing policy is unusual. Annual Passes at museums and similar visitor attractions are generally a separate option, priced either slightly above a day ticket or some multiple, based on how likely repeat visits are actually going to be made. The Gift Aid tax refund rules are complex, but most museums interpret them as meaning they can only claim the tax back if the visitor pays more than the "standard" admission charge, effectively then making a donation rather than just paying to receive something, and an Annual Pass is a common way of doing this as its benefit is to an extent intangible. I see the LT Museum website does mention Gift Aid, but it's not clear if you have to pay more or not.

Ediswan

Established Member
Their ticketing policy is unusual. Annual Passes at museums and similar visitor attractions are generally a separate option, priced either slightly above a day ticket or some multiple, based on how likely repeat visits are actually going to be made.

I must be unusual. The last two places I recall paying to see were Crich Tramway and Aerospace Bristol. Both of which say standard price tickets include free return visits for 12 months. Same validity as an 'annual pass,' but clearer that there is no separate 'day' ticket available.

gswindale

Yep - same at the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Museum in Yeovilton - don't see an option to buy a day ticket.

Think it's less common now to be able to buy day tickets in general

simonw

[/QUOTE]
I must be unusual. The last two places I recall paying to see were Crich Tramway and Aerospace Bristol. Both of which say standard price tickets include free return visits for 12 months. Same validity as an 'annual pass,' but clearer that there is no separate 'day' ticket available.
SS Great Britain is the same, an annual pass with your name on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.