• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground - CSA1 & CSA2 (2022 & 2023 applications)

melody

I managed to book a virutal interview for 2 weeks' time.
Hey. How did that go? I passed mine and not sure what to expect next. Or when I should expect further emails.
*I have completed all their forms and provided all the information they asked for, didn't get any reply just yet (it's been a week since then).
I'm assuming the reed screening is next? When should I expect that?
Does anyone have a timeframe of how long the typical wait is for getting a start date from passing all the stages, including the reed thing and the medical? Thx

hi
I got selected in July 2023 csa1 for night tube , after that I provided required documents . Since then no update regarding medical or reference check or training
Does anyone else in same stage with me or previously have come through in recent months
Please kindly share
Regards

Hi
Could you please give some idea how long it takes for training and reference check as I got selection and job offer in July but there is no training available
I'm at the stage you were when you wrote this for the same role. Do you have any updates?
Will also update you if anything new arises.
Thx!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hello, just curious,
Does.anyone know how many CSA's do they actually recruit per process as so many apply for the job,(probably 50 -100 I'm guessing) that apply.

YearCSA1CSA2
2019Night Tube – 031462

Dates the role was posted: 23 September - 21 October 2019
Assessments: October 2019 - May 2020
Hires made: November 2019 - January 2022
Waiting List: 0
Full Time – 029547

Dates the role was posted: 4 - 19 March 2019
Assessments: March - November 2019
Hires made: May 2019 - May 2020
Waiting List: 1
2021Night Tube – 037232, 038107

Dates the role was posted: 22 August - 19 September 2021
Assessments: September 2021 - January 2023
Hires made: November 2021 - May 2023
Waiting List: 50
Full Time – 036223, 038108

Dates the role was posted: 7 - 25 June 2021
Assessments: June - December 2022
Hires made: November 2021 - September 2023
Waiting List: 5
2022 to presentNight Tube – 040513

Dates the role was posted: 20 December 2023 - 15 January 2023
Assessments: February 2023 (Assessments are ongoing, but currently paused).
Hires made : 0 (Hiring is paused until 2024)
Waiting List: 14 (This will increase once assessments are running)
Full Time – 040772

Dates the role was posted: 20 December 2022 - 10 January 2023
Assessments: February 2023 (Assessments are ongoing)
Hires Made: June 2023 (Hiring is ongoing)
Waiting List: 73 (This figure is increasing)

As quoted, however, this FOI request is 4 years old, I suspect it was a lot more than this intake due to several online personalities promoting the vacancy - (CSA 2)
  • Total applications: 10,061
  • Passed the online stage: 1,133

Last edited:

melody

YearCSA1CSA2
2019Night Tube – 031462

Full Time – 029547

Full Time – 040772

As quoted, however, this FOI request is 4 years old, I suspect it was a lot more than this intake due to several online personalities promoting the vacancy - (CSA 2)
Thank you! This really helps! Looks like I just have to mind my business until 2024.

Pipa

YearCSA1CSA2
2019Night Tube – 031462

Full Time – 029547

Full Time – 040772

Wow thanks for that. That is alot compared to what I thought. I don't think they will be recruiting for the next few years now since waiting list is 73 and the figure is increasing. Do you have any information about the next time they will be recruiting???

Thank you! This really helps! Looks like I just have to mind my business until 2024.
Same here

I’m afraid us Night Tube lot have to! I’m anticipating the onboarding to take a while before we even get to the medical - would love to be proven wrong.

Wow thanks for that. That is alot compared to what I thought. I don't think they will be recruiting for the next few years now since waiting list is 73 and the figure is increasing. Do you have any information about the next time they will be recruiting???

Same here

At the bottom of the FOI they indicated there would be another CSA2 vacancy at the end of this year!

Mawkie

I don't think they will be recruiting for the next few years now since waiting list is 73 and the figure is increasing. Do you have any information about the next time they will be recruiting???
For what it's worth, LU committed to recruiting a number of new CSAs last week, which enabled the RMT strike action to be called off.

From the RMT circular (attached):

"This offer represents significant progress and the elimination or reduction of several threats
to members’ job security and conditions. We have won back 200 of the original 523 job cuts
which were deleted using natural wastage (unfilled vacancies). The newly restored positions will now be recruited and filled and it is possible that further additions can be achieved through a further review of rosters under the machinery of negotiation."

Attachments

• 10.3.23 LUL Circular.pdf
    109.5 KB · Views: 34

Pipa

I’m afraid us Night Tube lot have to! I’m anticipating the onboarding to take a while before we even get to the medical - would love to be proven wrong.

At the bottom of the FOI they indicated there would be another CSA2 vacancy at the end of this year!
Thank you I'll have to keep looking. And thanks for all the information.

Thank you I'll have to keep looking. And thanks for all the information.
Don’t forget it’s not just the Underground that hire customer service assistants! Victoria Coach Station sometimes hire for Station Assistants/Ticket Clerks.

Then you’ve got other train operating companies also.

coffeetable

If you go back a few pages mabz has given an email address so you can ask questions and he/she will help you with the interview process. Hope it helps. Good luck.
Thank you and sorry noticed your reply after passing the interview. passed the competency-based interview and was offered a conditional job offer.

Pipa

Thank you and sorry noticed your reply after passing the interview. passed the competency-based interview and was offered a conditional job offer.
Oh that's great congratulations. So Any advice from yourself about the interview??? Type of questions etc.

melody

Oh that's great congratulations. So Any advice from yourself about the interview??? Type of questions etc.
The questions are designed to see if you can handle complaints, working with others, if you're willing to change your ways and if you are capable of painting the business in a good light even if the customer is complaining. That would be a summary of what my interview went like. I passed.

Pipa

The questions are designed to see if you can handle complaints, working with others, if you're willing to change your ways and if you are capable of painting the business in a good light even if the customer is complaining. That would be a summary of what my interview went like. I passed.
Thank you

xioano

Hey. How did that go? I passed mine and not sure what to expect next. Or when I should expect further emails.
*I have completed all their forms and provided all the information they asked for, didn't get any reply just yet (it's been a week since then).
I'm assuming the reed screening is next? When should I expect that?
Does anyone have a timeframe of how long the typical wait is for getting a start date from passing all the stages, including the reed thing and the medical? Thx

I'm at the stage you were when you wrote this for the same role. Do you have any updates?
Will also update you if anything new arises.
Thx!
I rescheduled it for tomorroow, so just been preparing for it etc. What did they say in yours?

Hello
I got upto role play and didn't pass. Any help for the next time I apply???

Wow well done. Is it the first time you applied for this position???

Did you pass??? Sorry just joined
Yes

Last edited:

melody

I rescheduled it for tomorroow, so just been preparing for it etc. What did they say in yours?

Yes
They started with warm up questions (they said the answers don't count towards the result, but I believe they do) about yourself. They asked me if I'm employed and why I want to work for tfl.
Then they start with the interview questions. (*see my previous comment)
It all feels like a normal casual conversation for getting to know you. Make sure you use the star method when answering. (Situation; Task; Action; Result)
It takes about an hour and at the end they asked me about my notice period and if I have holidays planned.

Good luck!

xioano

They started with warm up questions (they said the answers don't count towards the result, but I believe they do) about yourself. They asked me if I'm employed and why I want to work for tfl.
Then they start with the interview questions. (*see my previous comment)
It all feels like a normal casual conversation for getting to know you. Make sure you use the star method when answering. (Situation; Task; Action; Result)
It takes about an hour and at the end they asked me about my notice period and if I have holidays planned.

Good luck!
Thanks!

MZM

Hey I have my role play next Tuesday on the 24th, for the CSA1 Night Tube AC2 040513.
I was wondering if I could get any tips and advice to hopefully pass it, and an insight into the different possible scenarios I could get and their solutions.

Thanks in advance!

Pipa

Hey I have my role play next Tuesday on the 24th, for the CSA1 Night Tube AC2 040513.
I was wondering if I could get any tips and advice to hopefully pass it, and an insight into the different possible scenarios I could get and their solutions.

Thanks in advance!
Look back through these pages most of the scenarios are within them. Homeless man
Person smoking
There are 3 others which I can't remember

MZM

Look back through these pages most of the scenarios are within them. Homeless man
Person smoking
There are 3 others which I can't remember
Just finished the role play a bit ago, I think it went well. I had a scenario where a homeless man came from Holborn and I was stationed at Newbury Park, at 2:30am on a Saturday. He had a ticket for Zones 1-3 and since Newbury Park is in Zone 4, it was invalid and he was trying to go through. I told him it was invalid and he explained that the staff at Holborn said it would be valid, but I explained that it isn't since we're in Zone 4, and he would have to upgrade/purchase a valid ticket. He then said he had no forms of payment, to which I said that you shouldn't be travelling without a valid ticket since you can get fined £80 or face prosecution and if convicted you could get criminal record or a maximum fine of up to £1000. I told him at the end after all that I would let him through because if he couldn't get out, he could potentially get injured, fall on to the tracks etc. if he stayed within the network, but explained the need to travel with a valid ticket next time and let him through. Fingers crossed, hopefully I pass and go through to the next stage, they said you'll have to wait up to a month to hear back from us.

Pipa

Just finished the role play a bit ago, I think it went well. I had a scenario where a homeless man came from Holborn and I was stationed at Newbury Park, at 2:30am on a Saturday. He had a ticket for Zones 1-3 and since Newbury Park is in Zone 4, it was invalid and he was trying to go through. I told him it was invalid and he explained that the staff at Holborn said it would be valid, but I explained that it isn't since we're in Zone 4, and he would have to upgrade/purchase a valid ticket. He then said he had no forms of payment, to which I said that you shouldn't be travelling without a valid ticket since you can get fined £80 or face prosecution and if convicted you could get criminal record or a maximum fine of up to £1000. I told him at the end after all that I would let him through because if he couldn't get out, he could potentially get injured, fall on to the tracks etc. if he stayed within the network, but explained the need to travel with a valid ticket next time and let him through. Fingers crossed, hopefully I pass and go through to the next stage, they said you'll have to wait up to a month to hear back from us.
Good luck i was told within a week that I didn't get to the next stage, I suppose you went for the night shifts so it's different for you. I hope you get to the next stage.

MZM

Good luck i was told within a week that I didn't get to the next stage, I suppose you went for the night shifts so it's different for you. I hope you get to the next stage.
Thank you so much, so based on my response do you think what I did was valid and was appropriate?

Pipa

Thank you so much, so based on my response do you think what I did was valid and was appropriate?
Wrong person to ask as I failed mine and I thought I did well. But looking at what you said seems good. Hopefully you get through to the interview stage. You'll just have to wait and see. I'm just waiting till they advertise for the job again so i can apply again. Hopefully soon. Until then take care and don't think about it too much. Good luck

MZM

Wrong person to ask as I failed mine and I thought I did well. But looking at what you said seems good. Hopefully you get through to the interview stage. You'll just have to wait and see. I'm just waiting till they advertise for the job again so i can apply again. Hopefully soon. Until then take care and don't think about it too much. Good luck
Thanks, good news, I just passed the role play and am through to the next round of the assessment process. I got an email this morning, I am so happy as I prepared well and thought I did good. Thanks for the help, and now I have to wait for a slot to open up so I can book the next stage!

Thanks, good news, I just passed the role play and am through to the next round of the assessment process. I got an email this morning, I am so happy as I prepared well and thought I did good. Thanks for the help, and now I have to wait for a slot to open up so I can book the next stage!
That’s good news, it should be a home run from here onwards. Good luck.

MZM

That’s good news, it should be a home run from here onwards. Good luck.
Thanks, any advice or tips on what the next stage of the assessment centre is, I heard it's apparently a competency based interview or similar, but I'm not sure. I heard that this could be virtual possibly but not sure. Thanks for the help and wishes!

Thanks, any advice or tips on what the next stage of the assessment centre is, I heard it's apparently a competency based interview or similar, but I'm not sure. I heard that this could be virtual possibly but not sure. Thanks for the help and wishes!
You're better off looking above as Melody and others have given good tips. You can also look at this forum https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/awaiting-start-with-tfl.

My advice is to look at each competency and come up with strong examples of each. Also to turn the interview into a casual conversation. The two assessors are not LU/TfL staff so try to wow them!

Pipa

Look back at all these messages. Lots of information on the interview and yes it's a live virtual one.

Customer Service Assistant 2 - Full Time​

Click the link provided to see the complete job description on tfl.taleo.net

Search & apply | Transport for London

CSA2 Salary: £30,381
Closing date for Applications: Sunday 24th December at 23:59pm

This recruitment campaign is to recruit to a waitlist for permanent opportunities as they arise. We will be offering roles on an ongoing basis over the next two years.

Please note that candidates who applied to the recent CSA2 Full-Time 040772 OR CSA1 Night Tube 040513 positions are not eligible to apply for this campaign.

All the best everyone!

Last edited:

Chirish

Hey folks, if anyone has any update on being offered medicals or group training please post on here!

Had my third assessment via teams a month ago, completly didn't feel positive but got offered a place a couple days later. On boarding has all the documents just waiting for spaces to open up.

Such a weird feeling knowing I have this to look forward to, but at the same time not knowing when to expect starting.

One of the questions they did ask was have you got any holidays booked in the next 12 months..

One thing that I wish I did in the role play assessment is use the whole room. Had a vaping customer at the ticket gates, so spent most of it with my back facing him. If you can, try and use the whole space so you can show facial expressions, empathy also.

Good luck everyone still waiting for assessments.

Hey folks, if anyone has any update on being offered medicals or group training please post on here!

Had my third assessment via teams a month ago, completly didn't feel positive but got offered a place a couple days later. On boarding has all the documents just waiting for spaces to open up.

Such a weird feeling knowing I have this to look forward to, but at the same time not knowing when to expect starting.

One of the questions they did ask was have you got any holidays booked in the next 12 months..

One thing that I wish I did in the role play assessment is use the whole room. Had a vaping customer at the ticket gates, so spent most of it with my back facing him. If you can, try and use the whole space so you can show facial expressions, empathy also.

Silent treatment for those with offers. Training for Night Tube to start in 2024 - not sure when exactly.

According to a FOI, there’s still those from the 2021 NT campaign waiting to start too.

MZM

Hey Chirish, I have my third AC, the competency based interview on MS Teams, on the 23rd. Do you have any tips, advice or knowledge that you could please give me?
I really do need this job and honestly want to smash it and pass this last stage.