• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

T163R

Hi,

I was just wondering if LU drivers could drive on more than one line, if they did that or if they were assigned to just one line. Thanks/

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
In the majority, train operators only work one line. The only exceptions are Central line drivers based at Leytonstone, who also work the Waterloo & City. The Circle and Hammersmith & City lines share a common pool of drivers and rolling stock.

In times past, crews based at Baker Street (no longer a crew depot) would work on the Circle and the Met main out to Uxbridge, Amersham, Watford etc. District crews from Parsons Green (also no longer a crew depot) would work some journeys on the Circle on Sundays.

I sign all sub surface lines and the Picc on the engineering side. On the passenger side it is generally one line, one stock.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Hi,

I was just wondering if LU drivers could drive on more than one line, if they did that or if they were assigned to just one line. Thanks/

Up to about 1988 Bakerloo/Jubilee train crews were the most knowlegable on the passenger side having to deal with two lines, learn three types of signalling and four types of rolling stock.

Met and C & H drivers probably had to cover the most ground.

These days it's nearly all one line-one stock apart from the District having D & C69's.

Status
Not open for further replies.