• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground fare question

kristiang85

Established Member
Last Friday, I used my contactless card to get from Waterloo to East Finchley (I always use Oyster normally, as I have a gold card loaded onto it, but due to train delays I was in a rush and there was not enough credit on my Oyster and I didn't have time to top up). I think its the first time I've ever used contactless payment for the tube.

Today, I noticed on my statement the charge was £4.75.

But as it was a Friday, surely it would be an off peak fare, and that's only £3.00 according to the TFL website fare finder? And even if it was peak that would be £3.70.

Does anybody have any idea why the fare was so high? Is there a surcharge for unregistered contactless cards? Or fee for Amex?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Have you considered registering your card online and looking at the journey/payment history and then contesting anything you disagree with?

island

Veteran Member
I don't suppose you also took a bus that day and possibly forgot about it? That would bring your total to £3 + £1.75 = £4.75.

kristiang85

Established Member
I don't suppose you also took a bus that day and possibly forgot about it? That would bring your total to £3 + £1.75 = £4.75.

Ah thank you, yes I did briefly later on. Sorry, I had forgotten and didn't think it would combine the fares - question solved!