• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Schedule Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

LU_timetabler

If you've ever wanted to write train timetables for London Underground there ate at least 3 vacancies at the moment. Role is called Schedule Compiler. There will be adverts soon, but such a critical role no harm in applying on spec.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Monopoli

If you've ever wanted to write train timetables for London Underground there ate at least 3 vacancies at the moment. Role is called Schedule Compiler. There will be adverts soon, but such a critical role no harm in applying on spec.
How did you find this out?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sifyu

Huh. Is this going Internal first? I heard they'll be recruiting for this 'role' but I didn't know they were going to put it out external.

In which case, it'll prob be going up on the Monday.

LU_timetabler

Huh. Is this going Internal first? I heard they'll be recruiting for this 'role' but I didn't know they were going to put it out external.

In which case, it'll prob be going up on the Monday.

It may be internal first before it goes external. The last time we ran it internally, then externally. On that occasion over 300 applicants took the online test. Less than 10 passed!!

Sifyu

It may be internal first before it goes external. The last time we ran it internally, then externally. On that occasion over 300 applicants took the online test. Less than 10 passed!!

Wow. That's pretty insane! Only 10 out of 300 passed the online test. Though it does seem this campaign is quite under the hood. As in they haven't thrown it out there compared to other hot campaigns. Though I suppose that's because it's just a general recruitment campaign not a 'hot' one. Still worth a try though!

LU_timetabler

Wow. That's pretty insane! Only 10 out of 300 passed the online test. Though it does seem this campaign is quite under the hood. As in they haven't thrown it out there compared to other hot campaigns. Though I suppose that's because it's just a general recruitment campaign not a 'hot' one. Still worth a try though!

Yes - those numbers shocked me. Made me feel very special! If your basic maths and verbal reasoning is good, it is an easy test - I didn't think any of the tests were too taxing. It is not a difficult job, but there is a lot to learn - the training programme is about 40 weeks so they want to make sure they have the right people from the outset. I really enjoy it, but if you are not into solving logic problems according to a series of rules you probably won't enjoy it too much. As far as I know all vacancies go internal first, and then if insufficient successful applications, external afterwards. If you're internal (anywhere in TfL) and are interested then always worth asking for a few days or 1 week attachment to see if it is something you want to apply for.

Last edited:

Sifyu

Though I'm curious when your department will start advertising the vacancy though? Since internal still hasn't started advertisements for the post as of yet.

Established Member
Compiling these for example:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/working-timetables

TfL produce incredibly detailed working timetables. If you haven't got an eye for detail, logical thought etc, you are not the person they are looking for.

The permanent timetable is one aspect. If TfL is anything like TOC land or NR, there will be more schedulers working on amended plans for engineering work or special events than on the base plan. That is where newcomers usually cut their teeth.

The failure rate for the assessments is not so surprising, it is a highly skilled job. Add working accurately under pressure at times, and the ability to work in a team, and it won't be for everyone.

The plus side is it is highly rewarding (although not necessarily financially) to think you are helping move millions of people around London.

Last edited:

LU_timetabler

Compiling these for example:

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/publications-and-reports/working-timetables

TfL produce incredibly detailed working timetables. If you haven't got an eye for detail, logical thought etc, you are not the person they are looking for.

The permanent timetable is one aspect. If TfL is anything like TOC land or NR, there will be more schedulers working on amended plans for engineering work or special events than on the base plan. That is where newcomers usually cut their teeth.

The failure rate for the assessments is not so surprising, it is a highly skilled job. Add working accurately under pressure at times, and the ability to work in a team, and it won't be for everyone.

The plus side is it is highly rewarding (although not necessarily financially) to think you are helping move millions of people around London.

Basically spot on. There's about 25% time on those working books, the rest in engineering works timetables, special train notices for out of the ordinary and checking engineering closure details are correct. Basically if it is on our tracks, our office had a hand in it somewhere. There are also all the duty rosta compilers, who schedule the drivers to the train times.
The salary example is the right range, starting 31k at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.