• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground trains slowed down

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
It appears, to me, to possibly be an attempt to reduce the frequency of rail grinding?

Quote from the linked article attributed to Sadiq Khan:
TfL is also undertaking a Variable Speed Trial on the Northern line between Tufnell Park and Kentish Town, to determine if this slows down corrugation without negatively impacting service levels.

bramling

Veteran Member
Buses have seen an increase in journey times since introduction of London-wide 20 mph limits. Now the London Underground is starting to get slowed down. Is national rail next ?

https://www.mylondon.news/news/tran...kCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

This is a specific response to a specific problem. A new type of rail system was introduced, largely in preparation for Night Tube. It has reduced vibration, but with the side-effect of increasing noise. We are only talking about certain specific locations.

However I tend to agree with the general view that LU should make the most of its position and generally the objective should be to run as fast as possible.

We have already seen slower journeys times thanks to some of the ATO / ATC systems in place, as anyone who uses the Jubilee Line between Stanmore and Finchley Road, or the top ends of the Northern Line, will be only too aware.

stuu

Established Member
We have already seen slower journeys times thanks to some of the ATO / ATC systems in place, as anyone who uses the Jubilee Line between Stanmore and Finchley Road, or the top ends of the Northern Line, will be only too aware.
I was wondering what difference this made and it's not true on the Jubilee Line. Current WTT gives 27 minutes for Stanmore-Baker Street, vs 2010 time of 35 minutes. Of course whether those timings are achieved is different matter

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Most bizarre this is being reported now when most of these speed restrictions were brought in in 2019.

RMT suspends Tube industrial action due to start at midnight as union secures major victory over track noise

Tube union RMT has suspended indefinite industrial action due to start at one minute after midnight tonight by drivers on four key underground lines after securing a massive victory over the issue of excessive track noise.
Drivers on Jubilee, Central, Victoria and Northern Lines were scheduled to take industrial action short of a strike with effect from 00.01 hours Thursday 10th October 2019 by driving trains in manual mode at an appropriate reduced speed in Pandrol Vanguard areas to mitigate the creation of excessive noise and to alleviate the distraction, discomfort and anxiety caused in the affected areas.

That action is now suspended after tube bosses agreed to union demands on the following:

• The company themselves will introduce speed restrictions in multiple locations from Friday to mitigate the noise impact

AndrewE

Established Member
Most bizarre this is being reported now when most of these speed restrictions were brought in in 2019.

I'm surprised that they complain of "distraction, discomfort and anxiety" when H&S noise exposure limits have existed for decades. I would have thought that if they were below these there would have been no case for action. I wonder what they would have made of a steam loco footplate at speed?

bramling

Veteran Member
I'm surprised that they complain of "distraction, discomfort and anxiety" when H&S noise exposure limits have existed for decades. I would have thought that if they were below these there would have been no case for action. I wonder what they would have made of a steam loco footplate at speed?

To be fair, some of the PV sections are seriously bad. Certainly my Apple Watch has alarmed for dangerous levels of noise exposure. For comparison, I don’t think I’ve ever had it alarm to that level in any other setting.

xtmw

Upon looking into this further, it's just a simple trial to see if this can aid in slowing down rail corrugation (which someone said reduces the need for the rail grinder to be grinding the rails every so often) My fellow Central Line users can relate between Stratford and Leyton (eastbound), despite being this section being grinded in March 23! Rail grinding produces a high pitched noise for a few weeks, then the loud noise which has been grinded over usually makes a return.

To me it just looks like a simple trial between 2 stations, if the results aren't favourable then they will obviously look into other options. I've had word of some material being used in the tunnels to absorb the noise, as well as using different track fastening solutions (Delkor? Used on the Jubilee in the Swiss Cottage area?), to replace Pandrol Vanguard which wasn't helping the noise situation.

Pandrol Vanguard was a rail fastener which reduced noise for residents nearby (in preparation for night tube) but this came with a downside, it would increase tunnel noise. Hence why TfL are looking at alternative solutions.

The RMT website quotes this 'The company themselves will introduce speed restrictions in multiple locations from Friday to mitigate the noise impact', what happened to these? I've been travelling on the Central Line and I haven't noticed any notable speed restrictions. The last TSR I can remember was in 2022 near Hanger Lane due to it being extremely bumpy!

Last edited: