• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London zone 1-2 prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSP 2

Two of us are going to London arriving approx. 07:15 we're going to have a spin around some of the main termini and some stations that are in zone 2. Would we be best to get a pay as you go contactless ticket I'm working it out to have a cap of £8.10 on it, so when I get to £8.10 I don't pay any more is this correct?
Some of my moves will just involve a change of train so would I have to tap out and them back in in a short space of time?

TFAH

HSP 2.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, £8.10 is the cap from Sunday for zones 1-2.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Two of us are going to London arriving approx. 07:15 we're going to have a spin around some of the main termini and some stations that are in zone 2. Would we be best to get a pay as you go contactless ticket I'm working it out to have a cap of £8.10 on it, so when I get to £8.10 I don't pay any more is this correct?
Some of my moves will just involve a change of train so would I have to tap out and them back in in a short space of time?

TFAH

HSP 2.
The daily Zone 1-2 cap (whether peak or off-peak) is currently £7.70 and will increase to £8.10 from 5 March.

You will need to touch out and back in before you reach the maximum journey time to avoid being charged for incomplete journeys.

The maximum journey time within zones 1 and 2 is 1h40m if touching in Mon-Fri between 04:30-19:00, 1h50 if touching in Mon-Fri after 19:00 or on Saturdays, and 2h on Sundays.

HSP 2

Hello all,

as you may be able to tell I'm not used to traveling around London, do you have to get some sort of ticket to use your debit care to touch in / out?
I've had a look at my rough plot and no times are over 1 hour.
I've just had a word with my mate and he's going to Barking Riverside which is in zone 4, does this affect the times?

TFAH

HSP 2.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I've just had a word with my mate and he's going to Barking Riverside which is in zone 4, does this affect the times?
I don't know about the times but it will certainly affect the fares cap.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello all,

as you may be able to tell I'm not used to traveling around London, do you have to get some sort of ticket to use your debit care to touch in / out?

TFAH

HSP 2.
Yes, you might get a little longer for the journey. It will also increase the overall cap that you pay. Zones 1-4 is currently £11.00 and goes up to £11.70 on Sunday.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
There is no need to purchase a ticket with your bank card in the traditional way. You simply tap your contactless card on the card reader to open the barriers when you start and finish your journey.

If you encounter a ticket check onboard you simply present your contactless card to the inspector who will scan it and move on.

jon81uk

Hello all,

TFAH

HSP 2.

You just tap the contactless card, no need to buy a ticket.
You can register here to see the journey history and the charges https://contactless.tfl.gov.uk/ but you don't have to.

Zone four will be more expensive.
See https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder?intcmp=54716 to check the fare and https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/caps-and-travelcard-prices?intcmp=54720 to see what the daily cap will be.

HSP 2

Hello all,

I know that with my mate going into zone 4 it will cost more , but what is the maximum journey time in zones 1 - 4.

TFAH

HSP 2.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hello all,

TFAH

HSP 2.
If you touched out and back in at Barking Riverside, having touched in at zone 1, the maximum journey time would be 1h50m, 2h5m or 2h15m during the aforementioned periods. The full list of maximum journey times is shown on the TfL website here.

If you were confident that you would stay within the maximum journey time, you don't actually have to touch out and back in at Barking Riverside. This would also avoid you being charged the higher Zone 4 cap. This is completely legitimate, but as I say it does depend on you staying within the maximum journey time (e.g. by touching out and back in at a Zone 2 station on your way to/from Barking Riverside).

Status
Not open for further replies.