• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest Service Not To Use Electrified Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestCoast

Established Member
Doesn't the WAG Express Cardiff-Holyhead run via Crewe? So, it is just the 175 services?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Well, from December they will both run via Wrexham...

At the moment though, I think the LHCS WAG runs via Crewe and the 175 WAG via Wrexham, so the second one counts ;)

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It wouldn't touch the fourth rail area. The fourth rail joins at Harrow-on-the-Hill and ends just beyond Amersham, both of which are fully on the Aylesbury branch. The West Mids-Marylebone stuff runs via Denham ;)

Kidderminester-Marylebone is 131mi 72ch.
Ah... I thought LU went on the denham branch too :) - just realised it runs past the Piccadilly and Central lines but doesn't share tracks ;)

tbtc

Veteran Member
I suspect in 10 years time when the question is asked it will be the far north line.

I think it fair to say that'll never be electrified

Although much of the network (outside London) is unelectrified, it surprised me just how many trains will pass under the wires at some stage. For example, whilst Sheffield is unelectrified, most services through Sheffield Midland pass through Leeds/ Doncaster/ Manchester

(I'm not counting Supertram!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well, from December they will both run via Wrexham...

Shame the plan to electrify Wrexham - Bidston never happened (that'd scupper the answer though!)

rail-britain

Established Member
I think the answer has to be ATW's Cardiff - Holyhead service (though these will run under the wires if/when Crewe - Chester gets electrified)
I have been checking to make sure, but no matter what platform is used this service also runs under the wires at Crewe

Statto

Established Member
Thinking about Cardiff-Holyhead route but with Merseyrail Electrics going to/from Chester would that count as part of an Electrified line, although i think only one, or a couple of platforms are 3rd rail?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Thinking about Cardiff-Holyhead route but with Merseyrail Electrics going to/from Chester would that count as part of an Electrified line, although i think only one, or a couple of platforms are 3rd rail?

IIRC only the northern platform (seven?) is Third Rail, meaning the ATW service wouldn't run on/cross the electrified line

WestCoast

Established Member

Just platform 7B is electrified on third-rail in Chester, which is effectively half a platform.

Captain Chaos

I would imagine that the early morning Bristol Parkway to Penzance would give the Cardiff to Holyhead service a close run for it's money?

tbtc

Veteran Member
Cheers for that, wasn't sure if there were more lines that crossed the 3rd rail at Chester:D

Its a funny one, there are seven/eight platforms, one is Third Rail and that one deals with four arrivals/ four departures an hour. The other six/seven deal with around six arrivals/ departures between them. Bit lop sided!

Welshman

Established Member
Only the WAG Express runs via Crewe though, the bi-hourly 158/175 service runs via Wrexham

WAG 1 [the 57-hauled stock] runs via Crewe, WAG 2 [the 175] runs via Wrexham.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Its a funny one, there are seven/eight platforms, one is Third Rail and that one deals with four arrivals/ four departures an hour. The other six/seven deal with around six arrivals/ departures between them. Bit lop sided!

Merseyrail trains are smartly-timed at Chester with a layover of only 6 or 7 minutes, so even allowing time to enter and leave, platform 7b is still unused for about 20 minutes in every hour.

Indeed, I have known the Llandudno-Manchesters signalled through 7b to 7a and wait time there, out of the way of the Merseyrail emus.

Although there are three through platforms at Chester, things can be interesting between x11 and x35 when the Virgin Voyager from Euston is in the station, especially if it is a double unit being split or two singles being joined, meaning it cannot use the bays, and thus occupying one of the through platforms for about 25 minutes.

daikilo

Established Member
deleted due later comment.

It seems to me that at least the northbound WAG and probably all CDF-HHD avoid the electrified (not wired) track through Chester. As far as I can see any WAG through Crewe will be under wires at some point.

This leaves non-WAG ops such as Carmarthen (or west thereof)-HHD as probably the longest in the UK without any overrunning with any electric power.

Congratulations to Arriva.

Last edited:

imagination

And the Great Malvern-Weymouth trains miss out because of a tiny amount of electric between Dorchester and Weymouth...

Damien1986

What about the old 1340 Edinburgh to Wick arr.2122 service that ran from the year 2000 to around 2005?

tbtc

Veteran Member
What about the old 1340 Edinburgh to Wick arr.2122 service that ran from the year 2000 to around 2005?

There's certainly wires through Haymarket nowadays, maybe back in 2005 the "Fife" lines weren't electrified, but the throat at Waverley certainly was, so it'd have crossed under wires for at least the first wee bit of the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.