• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longmoor Military Railway

Status
Not open for further replies.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I'm interested in finding out some more about the LMR and, in particular, I'm looking for a book about it.

I know of the three-part series from Lightmoor Press, but they seem to be a bit expensive for what I want. I've also seen a single volume history by D W Ronald and R J Carter which, although quite old (1974) is a lot cheaper! Does anyone know whether this is still worth getting, or should I save up my money and get the three volume set, please?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Maybach

Personally, I would buy the older Ronald & Carter book first. That is a really good introduction to the LMR. As the railway closed in 1969, I don't think a lot of "new" information has emerged since their 1974 book. That said, the three-part Lightmoor Press series is pretty much the definitive work on the subject but, as you say, is very expensive.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Personally, I would buy the older Ronald & Carter book first. That is a really good introduction to the LMR. As the railway closed in 1969, I don't think a lot of "new" information has emerged since their 1974 book. That said, the three-part Lightmoor Press series is pretty much the definitive work on the subject but, as you say, is very expensive.
Thanks very much; that ties in to the way that I was thinking, so it's very helpful.

Mollington St

Not sure if this helps , been sorting and listing this morning and here are 3 Titles that might be of interest .

Always trying to help out fellow forum members so i have priced very fairly i feel

Branch Lines to Longmoor - Middleton Press - £5.00
Longmoor Military Railway - Volume 2 - World War Two and the Cold War Era - Lightmoor Press - £25
The Bicester Military Railway - OPC - £10

Attachments

• Scan_20230130 (14).png
    Scan_20230130 (14).png
    974 KB · Views: 10
  • Scan_20230130 (16).png
    Scan_20230130 (16).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • Scan_20230130 (15).png
    Scan_20230130 (15).png
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Mollington St

I have just picked up the third in the Lightmoor Press Series , so if you change your mind , and think you are going to try for the set of 3 do not hesitate to ask
Oliver

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Is this the one-time MoD track layout where quite a lot of "The Great St..Trinian's Train Robbery" was filmed back in the mid 1960s?

Mollington St

Just not to hand at this moment , so i will check and come back to you , its WD 890 Diesel on the cover , if that helps

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I have just picked up the third in the Lightmoor Press Series , so if you change your mind , and think you are going to try for the set of 3 do not hesitate to ask
Oliver
Thanks for the offer - I'll go for the Ronald and Carter book first and, if I need to, I'll get back to you.

seaviewer

Is this the one-time MoD track layout where quite a lot of "The Great St..Trinian's Train Robbery" was filmed back in the mid 1960s?
Coming in a bit late but the answer to your qn is yes.
Btw all 3 volumes of THE definitive work were on sale at Sheffield Park garden (not railway) a while back. Forget price, probably around £15.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Coming in a bit late but the answer to your qn is yes.
Btw all 3 volumes of THE definitive work were on sale at Sheffield Park garden (not railway) a while back. Forget price, probably around £15.
Thanks for the info. Not been to Sheffield Park and Gardens (NT) for a while. Didn't realise they had a bookstall there. Facebook pic suggests it's worth a visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.