• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost penalty fare notice, what do I do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Recently boarded a train without a ticket because my card wouldn't work at the station, what I didn't realise is my card also wouldn't work on the conductors ticket machine and so I got a penalty fare. This was while travelling from Truro to Liskeard and I only got charged the price of the ticket which was £6.40.
When I got home I could no longer find the slip of paper he had given me and so couldn't find the reference number, I have sent an email but it says they will try to respond within 7 days which is cutting it slightly close to the 21 day deadline. What do I do? is there a number I should ring? If I just ring up GWR's main number will that work?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Recently boarded a train without a ticket because my card wouldn't work at the station, what I didn't realise is my card also wouldn't work on the conductors ticket machine and so I got a penalty fare. This was while travelling from Truro to Liskeard and I only got charged the price of the ticket which was £6.40.
When I got home I could no longer find the slip of paper he had given me and so couldn't find the reference number, I have sent an email but it says they will try to respond within 7 days which is cutting it slightly close to the 21 day deadline. What do I do? is there a number I should ring? If I just ring up GWR's main number will that work?
If your card also didn't work in the conductor's machine because it didn't have enough balance, was blocked etc. then yes, it would be wise to pay the amount outstanding ASAP.

But it is somewhat confusing for you to be issued for a Penalty Fare for £6.40 - as usually Penalty Fares are a minimum of £20, or twice the single fare if that's higher.

For now I suspect you'll just have to wait until they respond. If it does take near to the 21 days you'll want to come back here for further advice.

Veteran Member
You have received an Unpaid Fare Notice giving you time to pay the fare, not a Penalty Fare.

But the advice is the same either way, and a phone call would do no harm.

island

Veteran Member
If your card also didn't work in the conductor's machine because it didn't have enough balance, was blocked etc. then yes, it would be wise to pay the amount outstanding ASAP.

But it is somewhat confusing for you to be issued for a Penalty Fare for £6.40 - as usually Penalty Fares are a minimum of £20, or twice the single fare if that's higher.

For now I suspect you'll just have to wait until they respond. If it does take near to the 21 days you'll want to come back here for further advice.
I expect it was an Unpaid Fare Notice rather than a Penalty Fare.

For the OP I would suggest promptly posting a cheque to GWR for the outstanding amount including as much detail as possible, and obtaining proof of posting at the post office.

Status
Not open for further replies.