• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

lostwin - BR in the mid 80's

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lostwin(m)

Is that a Southern Region suburban EMU behind. I was thinking SUB or EPB but I think I spy a corridor compartment door - maybe a 2HAP or 4CAP ?.
You are in luck, I missed a photo I was going to post. My notes say 4-SUB's, but my notes have been proven to be wildly inaccurate at times!

Also 18/08/85.

395 final recrop.jpg

Last edited:

sprinterguy

Established Member
18/08/85. Slightly more positively, 03069 still had gainful work within the scrapyard. Did it ever manage to escape?

View attachment 156836
Yeah, it passed into preservation at the embryonic Gloucestershire-Warwickshire Railway after Vic Berry's yard closed down in the early nineties. It's moved about a bit since then, with time spent at the Dean Forest Railway, and I think is currently on loan to the Chinnor & Princes Risborough, in green as D2069.

lostwin(m)

Two shots at or around the Warren Halt station just outside Folkestone. The small halt station seemed to have an interesting history opening and closing on a number of occassions for various reasons including land disputes, landslides and declining tourism. It seemed to survive a staff halt into the 70's and the sign still seems quite fresh in the first picture, although I never saw a train stop there in the eighties.
Wiki entry here

23/10/85. About to pass the Halt is a London bound service.
457 final.jpg

lostwin(m)

24/10/85. Just a couple of hundred yards further east, 73005 glides through the cutting on a mixed Railfright.

465 final.jpg

Last edited:

SteveM70

Established Member
18/07/86. A unit leaves North Queensferry and heads for the Forth Bridge en-route to the capital.

edit: looking at this more closely, it is strange that you can only see one span of the bridge - and it is not Photoshop!. I'd assumed it was straight but presumably it must have a slight curve which hides the remaining spans from this view.

The Forth Bridge is wider at the base of the cantilever towers and narrower in between them, hence the nearest obscuring the others behind it.

The bridge itself is straight

IMG_1416.png

lostwin(m)

Down to the last 25 or so photos left to post and quite a few are in Scotland, so a small batch from there first.

18/07/86. 27046 is captured in atmospheric light conditions at the head of the 12.15 service to Dundee, before departure from Waverley Station.

889 final.jpg

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I marvel at your tenacity for this thread - sorting / selecting / scanning / software image-tweaking. It's been a Herculean effort and credit well due to you.

Yesterday I started sifting through several thousand 35mm images, taken 1986-95. I rapidly realised:
1) Back then, there were just as many overcast days!
2) 95% of my shots were taken "front three quarters" and at stations / depots (permits and open days). Only 5% of shots were more "creative" in composition / location.
3) I didn't keep notes and I didn’t keep negs stored with the relevant prints (I didn't use 35mm slides until mid 1990's and mostly on non railway subjects).. Train information - in many cases - is lost; and some locations I didn't know I'd gone to!

Oh,.for the benefit of hindsight... :)

lostwin(m)

I marvel at your tenacity for this thread - sorting / selecting / scanning / software image-tweaking. It's been a Herculean effort and credit well due to you.

Yesterday I started sifting through several thousand 35mm images, taken 1986-95. I rapidly realised:
1) Back then, there were just as many overcast days!
2) 95% of my shots were taken "front three quarters" and at stations / depots (permits and open days). Only 5% of shots were more "creative" in composition / location.
3) I didn't keep notes and I didn’t keep negs stored with the relevant prints (I didn't use 35mm slides until mid 1990's and mostly on non railway subjects).. Train information - in many cases - is lost; and some locations I didn't know I'd gone to!

Oh,.for the benefit of hindsight... :)
I have definitely benefited from the diligence of my youthful self, who carefully filed and kept records for each image and film. Having a contact print for each roll has proven a massive help as well. Having an unstructured pile of negatives as a starting point is going to be pretty daunting.

I would break it up into chunks. I like putting aside a couple of hours and scanning over a glass of wine or two. It helps the rolling in nostalgia vibe that discovering vaguely remembered trips and scenes brings. As you work through the films you may want to better structure your filing, as you will inevitably want to go back and find something at some point.

I have really gotten to enjoy the image processing work in Photoshop. It reminds me of working in the darkroom. Selecting a good crop, adjusting contrast (paper grade) and dodging / burning. A boon for digital processing is the spot removal, this was only possible by touching up prints previously, it has rescued many an earlier image of mine before I had refined my film developing and drying technique.

Photoshop and similar image processing tools are very powerful and can rescue less well exposed images, as well as colour casts. If your shot is sharp and interesting, most other defects can be moderated.

It’s a big task, but no harm in taking your time. Post up some images as you go and the interest and feedback proves ample encouragement to keep going, I have found.

I certainly look forward to seeing what you have!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Thanks for those encouraging words. I lack 1) a film scanner, 2) Photoshop / similar software, 3) patience! :D

I've set aside about 100 images which have potential - and I'll see if I can salvage anything worthy, by photographing (with my digital compact) the old print. It's a long shot but it's my one feasible option, sadly.

lostwin(m)

Thanks for those encouraging words. I lack 1) a film scanner, 2) Photoshop / similar software, 3) patience! :D

I've set aside about 100 images which have potential - and I'll see if I can salvage anything worthy, by photographing (with my digital compact) the old print. It's a long shot but it's my one feasible option, sadly.
Ah! :lol: A digital photo of a print should still come out OK if you can focus close enough. Get it on a tripod and try and light the print evenly. You may find it easier to mount the print on a board (double sided tape?) and stand it vertically - it is easier to light that way and avoid shadows.

lostwin(m)

A trip to the East Midlands (not Leicester again though!).

20/05/85. The faster timed MML services did not stop at Loughborough, here an Inter City 125 passes through at decent speed, heading south. My shutter finger / eye coordination to 'stop it' in exactly the right place has probably now disappeared, along with my youth!

209 final.jpg

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Ah! :lol: A digital photo of a print should still come out OK if you can focus close enough. Get it on a tripod and try and light the print evenly. You may find it easier to mount the print on a board (double sided tape?) and stand it vertically - it is easier to light that way and avoid shadows.
My props are at the ready :)
- Kitchen has a large "lantern" window in the roof and bi-fold doors across the back, so we get plenty of natural light in.
- 2" thick wooden chopping board (clean!).
- Clingfilm to hold each print securely to the vertically-stood chopping board.
- Digi compact mounted onto mini tripod, on our hefty dining table.
- So, all I'll need, is a bit of sunshine... Oh. :D

Last edited:

lostwin(m)

Same day and location - that lattice over bridge was brought into play. Helpfully, this north bound service had a scheduled stop.

211 final.jpg

lostwin(m)

04/06/85. A couple of weeks later I was in Nottingham and shooting around the depot. The misty conditions give a nice vibe to this one. 47535, 20195, 20178, 47378 & 25324 all in view.

233 final.jpg