• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mb88

Today I was on a 44 (652).
Hard to believe this bus is only a few weeks old with the rattling it was doing upstairs.
Must be a screw loose. Not me.o_O
Other ones I have been on were okay.
That’s Alexander Dennis for you.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Today I was on a 44 (652).
Hard to believe this bus is only a few weeks old with the rattling it was doing upstairs.
Must be a screw loose. Not me.o_O
Other ones I have been on were okay.
There’s no major ratting from those new buses from my experience other than 616 which its upper deck nearside rear window was making a right racket over bumpy surfaces. They’ve got the best build quality of any of the fleet since the 11 plate Gemini 2s

That’s Alexander Dennis for you.
That’s strange because ADL have always had a much better build quality and is why Lothian switched to them for orders in 2018

Davie

916-924 were all still at Marine last week, so it can potentially be one of those vehicles.
It could of been one of Moffat and Williamson's ex Lothian deckers. I know they send them down south to be converted for more seating to be put in.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
425 has received a Heverlee branded wrap, presumably heading for repaint after. That's it for the swoops livery on the Pre-Facelift Gemini 3 body.
1634558652397.png1634558659858.png

Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Can anyone explain why the front is not in Lothian livery and the back screen covered?
Other than 406-411s Samsung wraps in 2017 none of the rest of these have had the Lothian livery on the front, they were all completely wrapped. As for the rear screen it could be down to the advertisers requests or a simple mistake to remove the part of the wrap covering it.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Other than 406-411s Samsung wraps in 2017 none of the rest of these have had the Lothian livery on the front, they were all completely wrapped. As for the rear screen it could be down to the advertisers requests or a simple mistake to remove the part of the wrap covering it.

I'd go for mistake as it won't be PSVAR compliant without rear destination visible.

Snow1964

Established Member
Ah understandable. Never knew rear LEDs being visible was part or the PSVAR rules

It is required to show route number on rear, and both route number and destination on the side blind.

The first driver of the day, clearly didn’t do all checks before taking out the bus, because not supposed to take out non-compliant vehicles and put them in service, rather slapdash attitude to the rules.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It is required to show route number on rear, and both route number and destination on the side blind.

The first driver of the day, clearly didn’t do any checks before taking out the bus, because not supposed to take out non-compliant vehicles and put them in service, rather slapdash attitude to the rules.

I think that's extremely unfair to blame the driver. To suggest that they 'obviously didn't do any checks is absolutely outrageous.

I'd go for mistake as it won't be PSVAR compliant without rear destination visible.
Do they need to show the operator name anywhere obvious too? In this case there probably aren't any other 31s along the route but may not hold for every service.

The first driver of the day, clearly didn’t do all checks before taking out the bus, because not supposed to take out non-compliant vehicles and put them in service, rather slapdash attitude to the rules.
Quite a lot of FSE buses dont have a working rear destination blind. If none of their displays are working they just use paper ones. So I don't think there needs to be a working rear display as the front is most important.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Quite a lot of FSE buses dont have a working rear destination blind. If none of their displays are working they just use paper ones. So I don't think there needs to be a working rear display as the front is most important.

There does need to be a working display, it's just some operators choose not to comply or maintain equipment properly.

Not picking on any particular operator as there's many, when I worked in Cardiff sometimes I wasn't even given a printed paper destination just told to draw it myself on blank paper and ask engineering for some tape.

cammyeaston

Whilst at Livingston South Station last night, an EM Horsburgh Solo pulled up with no working destination screens and simply a large printed '9' in the front window. No destination shown either. Who would 'catch' operators at the dodge in this instance? An employee of the Traffic Commissioner?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
306 to 308 out today n thought they were withdrawn
306 & 307 are still operating daily from Central and have been for months and 308 hasn’t been in Service since the start of July and I believe is devoid of branding now so certainly isn’t out in service

CN04NRJ

Established Member
306 & 307 are still operating daily from Central and have been for months and 308 hasn’t been in Service since the start of July and I believe is devoid of branding now so certainly isn’t out in service

Don't forget 305!